Sugar: The Bitter Truth

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by slipthejab, Apr 30, 2012.

1. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBnniua6-oM&feature=related"]Sugar: The Bitter Truth - YouTube[/ame]

Ugh... very interesting. I have had a lifelong battle with sugar. A sweet tooth from hell that never goes away. So I stumble on this one... jeebus. The guys seems to know the stuff backwards and forwards... I have to say I struggled a bit to wrap my head around the chemistry bits. But he does an awesome job as a presenter.... about as confident and concise as they come... you'd have to wonder if he was ever a prosecution attorney. :D

Thoughts on this... I'd be curious to hear thoughts from anyone who actually watches it all the way through... it's not a lite watch at all. It's pretty in depth and jeebus.... :cry:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Absolutely superb find Slip.

Listened to the first 15 minutes and will transfer this to an MP3 to listen to in the car on the way to work.

I have a few Paul Chek lectures along the same lines, fascinating.

3. Simon

Blood sugar balance by Paul Ckek.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLy0erPwPS8"]BLOOD SUGAR BALANCE: Critical to health, here's why -CHEK - YouTube[/ame]

4. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

This is a great lecture, I remember it went viral among the low carb/paleo lot but in several interviews he Robert was pretty adamant that he didn't support these diets, he just wasn't a fan of fructose. His interviews with Jimmy Moore at 'Livin La Vida Low Carb' were pretty good especially.

5. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Didn't you post this one about 2 years back Gary? I can definitely remember first coming across it on MAP.

Always good to watch again. The problem I find is that the talk is about 90 minutes and most of the people I want to convert don't have attention spans that long!

6. slipthejab

Yeah I had to watch it in three sittings. It's a pretty big chunk to chew on. I'd love to find something on insulin sensitivity and reaction in a similar type of lecture to get my head around it. I've been listening the Robb Wolf podcasts and it's really kept me going in terms of refining what I'm doing nutrition and diet wise. But I realize I don't have the most sussed understanding of the insulin issue.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

i am soooo screwed!

it's so hot here that the only way to survive it is ice cream.

8. Gary

Yes I did, it's a great video but the length means the most common response was TLDR. Nice to see it get a bit more attention though!

9. slipthejab

10. Simon

Too long, didn't read.

11. slipthejab

That is the dumbest thing ever. Jeebus. Anyone who actually watches the whole thing will actually know why it's long. It's a necessary complexity to the subject.

TLDR.... idiots. :bang:

12. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

It's a good vid and it's generated some controversy. Slip, since you're often keen to see both sides of an argument, here's Alan Aragon's take:

http://www.alanaragonblog.com/2010/01/29/the-bitter-truth-about-fructose-alarmism/

The comments are worth reading too, as Lustig jumps in near the start to defend himself. They go on for a good long while, so you'll want to set aside some time to read through them also.

Sadly, It's been well over a year since I watched the vid or read Aragon's reply, so I'm afraid I'm not familiar enough with either to offer my own opinion.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

managed to sit through the entire thing in one go. granted I was also posting on other stuff.

Im way too dumb to understand any of this. Sugar = bad is basically what I got out of it.

(as I swig a can of diet coke)

14. slipthejab

hahahahahahah... :D honesty counts for a lot man! :D

15. ninjedi

ninjedi Valued Member

There is a fine line between food, drugs, and poison.

16. slipthejab

Man... fascinating reading... no love lost among the devotees of various systems (Paleo, non-Paleo etc.)... jeez... :p this is going to take some serious reading. Very, very interesting stuff! :)

17. Gary

Alan Aragon is very good, the first article of his I read he was tearing Biotest a new one over their supplements which they had cherry picked the results to claim that their product was as potent as steroids.

I think Alan also links to Martin Berkhan's Leangains site for his take, well worth a read too IMHO.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2012
  18. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I just watched all of it, there are some parts mainly when he's differentiating between Sucrose, Ethanol and Fructose and it's affects on the liver that won't make much sense because there are a lot of diagrams. For about 15 mins or so.

19. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

There was a part in this lecture where he mentions Paleo and how it is the best diet for fibre consumption.

20. CosmicFish

CosmicFish Aleprechaunist

Yeah. I've no doubt Lustig is an expert in his field, so it's nice to see some opposition from someone who's also well respected, albeit coming from a different background. Sadly, my own interest in nutrition is waning these days, so I won't be re-visiting that debate.

And you're right about the enmities between different dietary supporters. They're as angsty and strident as the worst of the atheists/sceptics vs religious/mysticism debates!