Any Tongbei practitioners?

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by jer45, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

Hey all! Just wondering if there were any others out there. I am a practitioner of taiji wuxing tongbei tracing back 4 generations to tongbei great Zhang Ce.

2. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

Maybe check in the taiji section? Might get a better response? :mad: )

LFD

3. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

I would...if tongbeiquan was taiji

The particular branch I study is called taiji wuxing tongbei only because the form's originator Zhang Ce melded certain internal aspects from Yang Style taiji into traditional Tongbei.

4. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

It's a Kung Fu style. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTHqaag5G5o&feature=channel&list=UL"]Tongbeiquan 1/2 - YouTube[/ame]

5. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

My bad :' P

Just think I looked at a link e. g. this h

http://www.susanamatthews.com/Tong_Bei_DVD.htm

''Master Zhao Ya Jun is very clear on what he’s doing in this comprehensive set exercises from the Tong Bi Quan style of martial arts. Tong Bi is pre-Chen style taijiquan that emphasizes developing power on the back and using the arms more efficiently.''

Guess that different sifu's describe it in different ways...

Anyways good luck with finding other practitioners and welcome to MAP!

LFD

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  6. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

No worries :) Thanks for the welcome! It is true a lot of Chen Stylers, XYQers and BGZers practice some form of Tongbei when they're younger and then switch into other neijia styles. While Tongbei does resemble Chen style to a certain extent it is a completely different art on its own and is typically grouped along with Taiji/BGZ/XYQ as the four main internal styles although it is not as popular as the other 3 due to the conservative and secretive nature of its practitioners. Only recently have masters started to teach it on a broader scale to more students. It places heavy emphasis on developing power/loosening up primarily the entire back, then shoulders and arms to be able to harness power from kinetic linking(transfer of power from the ground up) more efficiently.

So.....no other Tongbei'ers out there? :(

7. Ben Gash CLF

It's not exactly common outside of China. I only know of one school in the UK.

8. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

wow, I figured there probably weren't a lot of practitioners out there, but I had no idea it is this rare overseas.

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

There are 2 major Tongbei systems. The white ape Tongbei and Pi Gua Tongbei. The Pi Gua Tongbei are usually trained along with the Baji system.

I had some white ape Tongbei (very little Pi Gua Tongbei training). There are some arm circular training that you use your right hand to hit your right upper leg, left hand hit on your right upper arm, left hand then hit your upper left leg. It makes 3 sounds in both arms circular motion. The sound can help you to understand your own speed. It's very interested training. In white ape Tongbei system, there is also:

- cat jump,
    - tiger hop,
    - monkey dodge,
    - eagle flip

that teach some interest footwork and Shenfa. Most of the white ape forms are short. It has good kicking combo (such as front kick, roundhouse kick, and back kick) as well.

10. Ben Gash CLF

There's also Xingyi Tongbei and Ma family Tongbei (which is probably the most common one in the west).

11. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

Never even heard of those ones. The 5 major branches here in Beijing and Hebei are laoqi, shaoqi, pigua, baiyuan, and wuxing with the lineage I'm studying being a branch off of traditional wuxing. Anymore insight on the two you mentioned?

Edit:

I just looked up Ma family Tongbei and it uses a different character for bei than the norm...sounds to me like it's something totally different. Xingyi tongbei just sounds plain dodgy, you sure you're not making that up to pull my leg?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2012
  12. Ben Gash CLF

Ma Tong Bei is certainly Tong Bei from what I've seen of it. Probably a bit influenced by the other styles that they do (Fanzi, Cuojiao, Baji and Pigua).
    Xingyi Tongbei is legit AFAIK. Combinations are not unusual in northern styles.

13. Ben Gash CLF

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9_MxFC4pUk&feature=results_video&playnext=1&list=PL07FF1B761C1E3F7E"]Ma Style Tongbeiquan - part 1 Ma Xianda - YouTube[/ame]
    Ma Xuanda documentary

14. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

haha, ok ok I'll ask my teacher about it when I see him on Monday. My VPN is broke so I can't watch the vid.. :(. It is curious that Ma style uses 备 instead of the normal 背

15. Ben Gash CLF

Widespread literacy is fairly new.

16. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

wow! that's pretty rare. i once practiced bai yuan tong bei. the guy taught fighting rather than forms.

17. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

oh yeah? Where did you study baiyuan?

18. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

Sydney, Australia.

19. jer45

jer45 Valued Member

Oh really? A couple of the students studying with me now are from Sydney, but they don't know anyone back home who teaches it. May I ask who your instructor was?

If any mods could move this to the internal MA section that would be greatly appreciated, I didn't realize that section existed until just now.:love:

20. AuHg

AuHg McDojo Happy Meal

I know the teacher simply as Jack who teaches out of Macquarie University back in the early 2000's. I wasnt his student by any means I was there to see my friend who was a badass fighter. I participated in a few classes but the training location was too far away so I end up not going.

http://www.oocities.org/wuzhongxiu/

here is a link to a guy kingsley fong who probably know him better.

May I ask do you have a website or where are you currently teaching?