People Foiling leg locks by standing up and crumpling me

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Gripfighter, Feb 23, 2012.

1. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

Pretty simple problem really but as my sambo training is on hold just now (due to finances, or lack off) no one is likely to be showing me any solutions any time soon, does anyone have any good advice. Iv trained enough with leg locks that I can fairly competently pull of the technique's but haven't done much work on dealing with situations that can arise when attempting them on a resisting opponent. People standing up and crumpling me once I had the achilles lock on cost me three submissions last night during rolling, two of the guys were considerably heavier than me if it makes a difference.

Also there was a really great thread on here once that southpaw started about finishing leg locks and kurtka jerker posted some great advice on but I can't find it, do either of you remember what it was called ?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2012
  2. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

This is a different issue from the last one I think. Are they stacking you and just stalling the submission or stacking and picking your leg ride apart with their hands, or are your legs just slipping off when they stand up and pass?

3. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

there stacking and stalling, in all three situations my leg ride remade completely intact (inside leg foot under there thigh,outside leg foot into there hip and knees together) so no they certainly weren't standing up and passing. The three times kind of turned out differently one guy turned his leg around and stood up, normally when people turn there foot around it makes the ankle lock even easier to finish but my calf seized up (this is an unrelated pain that's been coming and going since I got back into training last month) so I kind of had to let him go. The second guy was a really strong wrestler and he was feeling the lock the most, could really see it in his face and feel he was reacting to it. Even as he was standing and stacking me he was still feeling the lock but then I have absolutely no recollection of what he did next but before I knew it he was in side control and had me in a really strong key lock. The third guy was about the same weight as me he stood up and folded me like a card bored box and just held me for 2 minutes straight, I finally got a leg out but by then my only option was to let his leg go and get back to guard.

4. Kurtka Jerker

Here's the thread, by the way.
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102295&highlight=achilles+lock

Generally the answer here is to just use your legs to tip him back onto his back. The trick is unweighting the leg in your legride. To do that, you'll have to come up on your shoulders like you're reaching for a triangle on a guy that's postured up in guard or shooting an up-kick. You can see it @ 4:50 in this video. It's easier if you swap to an outside triangle ride as in the video but there are serious dangers there if your opponent has any real leglockery. As you can see I tip him over and immediately bail on it as soon as he sits back. [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7kryT8Kmx8&list=UUH-DL52_zM4i54KtlacxJbg&index=3&feature=plcp"]Erik at Tennessee State BJJ Championships 2010 - YouTube[/ame]

If that doesn't work, you're going to have to break up his base by using either of the knee-reapy leg rides shown in the first video(in the other thread). You can also transition to a heel hook or toehold if your training partner knows to tap, or spin to a kneebar-ride if you're feeling game.

5. Kurtka Jerker

Oh, also, you can roll all the way under as in a back shoulder roll until you're belly down on the leg with it behind him like a one-legged sprawl.
    Once you get his knee on the mat, the achilles lock gets tons more powerful.
    Like, you might break his shin powerful.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I think this is what I was trying to describe when I said this ? or do you mean something else.

7. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I think I understand.

the only video I can see on the other thread is the one with you explaining the basics of the technique.

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kind of thought it amounted to the same end position.

9. Kurtka Jerker

That's the one. If you watch through it, there's a point where I show two different methods for when you're allowed to reap the knee. Those are the ones I'm talking about.

10. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

was drilling a combination of the two techniques you suggested with a friend during an open mat session the other day. When the person stood up I switched to the triangle type leg ride and rolled over onto my belly, it basically felt like the guy had to fall back down or accept a broken knee. So that was going well when our coach came up and said that's good for sub grappling and mma but if you do that triangle led ride in BJJ its an instant disqualification. So the only other option is to do the going up on your shoulders and tip your weight thing you said, we did this a few times drilling. The only thing is I can't really see pulling that off the way some big guys were stacking me the last time I rolled.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2012
  11. Kurtka Jerker

Yep. Sometimes you just have to try and finish versus standing, especially in the beej, since you can't just slap on a toehold or heel hook until advanced.

You might try unlacing, switching to a sort of butterfly guard with your shins on the dude's knees and ankle pick both feet. That's worked on people so big they just stand there when I scissor them, so I know it's got the torque.