Bad Martial Arts Articles.

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Pretty In Pink, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Do we have a new generation of downbeat, miserable, unmotivated martial artists coming through?

Seriously, you should only ever talk positively to yourself, it reflects in others opinion of you.

It should be, "I will," not, "I might, or I should."

3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

i will whip chadderz backside next week for his downtrodden use of language :p
    better, simon?
    XD

i'm digging through for some bad training articles

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have no beef with Chadderz, just the type of threads we have had recently.

5. Mangosteen

i think i lost the plot some where.

i'm having a hard time finding bad articles but i can find good ones!
    heres one of my favourites from LaFon:

http://betterjudo.com/articles/are-you-training-efficiently/

6. Pretty In Pink

I'm all about the self destruction! It's not a crime, surely? Although maybe it's against ToS? :p

7. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I would ask that if you are going to post up articles you think are bad, you provide a reasoned discussion for them. This thread could be really useful in helping educate beginners as to what constitutes a 'bad' article, whether it be poorly written, factually incorrect, biased misrepresentation etc, but if people just post stuff along the lines of 'this article sux, LOL' then there really isn't any point to the thread.

MAP is a discussion forum, so it would be nice to have some discussion going on in threads like these. I'm happy for the thread to remain here as long as it is a productive thread and doesn't turn into a bitchfest, with people posting all sorts of off topic spam with no explanation or discussion occurring.

8. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Blame the Ninjutsu forum!

It all started there. :D

9. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Wouldn't it depend on your definition of "fight" and where it's taking place?

10. Mangosteen

oh okay.

well im going to step out of this this thread because i dont have the energy to discuss the stuff in the OP article.

scratch that i will start a little bit - the only thing MMA competitiors really doesn't weapons however i'm quite sure a dog brother (dog brothers is technically an MMA competition) would stand a real chance, they deal with much of the "banned/too-dangerous-for-the-ring" stuff.
    as does kajukenbo which is also an MMA.

11. Pretty In Pink

So the reason I think this article is terrible is because it essentially tries to sell "dirty tactics" as valid self defence fight-enders. Some of the quotes from the article really exemplify this:

Who would win in a REAL “street fight”:

An MMA athlete…or a vicious gang member?!

Now, whilst arm bars and going to the ground in general is considered a bad idea in a street fight, to assume that they do not work against a lone attacker when said attacker is using "deadly illegal techniques". Which is of course ridiculous.

So yeah, new guys/girls, beware of shady things like this.

I would have made this longer, but I'm terrified in case my laptop turns off.

12. Mangosteen

also your average hardened street thug doesn't train for crime. in fact the only reason they get into crimes is because they can't/don't want to work and therefore will do the minimum they can for mediocre profits.
    they wont be training with paul vunak or in the gym with shock knifes unless they're aren't your "average" street thug but rather some mafia gang member.
    the hardened street thug is rarely hardened but really very desperate.

on the chance of a gang assault that in the kicking in of group mentality rather than the demonised soulless gang of youth that you see in 80's movies.
    many have families and are people just trying to survive.
    i really dislike the demonisation of "thugs" because it makes people more afraid and edgy and more likely to attack when confronted and escalate the situation beyond a simple no-injury mugging.

also a choke might be a submission but it is a deadly technique when taken to fruition

13. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

A 'street' fight is random enough to mean that most things could work, from a simple punch, to eye gouges, to a crack in the mansack, or whatever. So who would win between the mythical awesome MMA fighter and the mythical hardened street thug who wants to eat your baby's babies?

Either, it depends.

Every article needs some critical thinking applied to it. Even the so-called 'good' ones, regardless of the authority and legitimacy of the author.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I have met many of these "street hardened thugs" - they are not skilled, they are amoral. This is what makes them dangerous.

Mindset is a very hard thing to overcome, you have to either KO or choke em out because they certainly won't stop of their own accord. Yet this is the very thing that favors the "MMA fighter" because they train to stop someone. The standard LEO training form when I was in the UK is about "minimal damage to arrestee" and "optics". In Canada the focus was on "end the fight"

This does not award carte blanche to devastate someone, but the focus becomes the end result not the process, and this lends itself to swifter resolution. This is the real lesson to take away from "street fighters"

These "secret dirty tactics" are useless in and of themselves. If you cannot throw a jab your sure as hell shouldn't be trying to eye gouge. If I have a .44 bullet it can potentially kill - but it will do me no good if I have no gun to fire it from

I have invited the article writer over - I doubt he will show up or even post to my comment, but I would be interested to discover the genesis of his ignorance

15. Hannibal

I have isolated this point rather than edit it into mine, not as a shameless plug, but to highlight the point that in PFS we train out of an MMA Matrix; in other words we learn to fight first THEN plug in the dirty tactics

If you "go dirty" on someone, you had better be prepared for the same tactics to come right back at you - and if "dirty" is all you have then you are in for a bad day at the office

16. Mangosteen

i had a feeling you worked in this way.
    as i said early, most actual dirty fighting arts that cover the ranges of street based combat like i mentioned earlier are actually "MMAs" like JKD, Kaju and DBMA.
    even krav.
    most use the MMA matrix
    you cant instantly have noobs pulling nut kicks and nut bites with out a base understanding of other major concepts. they wont have any progression.

17. Chock

Chock Valued Member

The article linked in the OP is no different from all other ones of its ilk: embodied in those ''I can teach you how to be tough'' magazine adverts which have been around since the year dot; i.e. the ones in the back pages which invariably featured bad cartoons of someone getting sand kicked in their face, in order to sell bullworkers/chest expanders and the like to people who don't stick up for themselves in social situations.

Such marketing ploys all tap into the same thing: i.e. someone who lacks confidence or the willpower to train and toughen up, hopes that some quick effortless path - reading a few pages of some book, watching a DVD, or buying some piece of training equipment - is going to instantly make them into some kind of killing machine who will fear no man and get the girl of their dreams. Apparently requiring little or no effort on their part to catalise such an incredible transformation either.

People fall for it, because such marketing preys upon the desperate forlorn hopes of life's losers, selling the dream that things can come easily and matters can somehow be tipped in their favour with no effort, sacrifice, training, or work, which is of course not at all true.

Al

18. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

To the list of which I would add those silly advertisements you see on this and other websites- 'You can learn muay thai in your own home!'(No. You can't. And the cowardice implied in not being bothered to go out of your home implies that you wouldn't be much good at it anyway.), 'learn BJJ'(when I want to put my friends into sexually compromising positions, I at least have the decency to get them drunk first.), 'The martial art that's even more effective than wing chun'(it's a three hour video of a person eating doughnuts, presumably...)

19. Hannibal

I do not think I could have LOL'd harder!

20. Pretty In Pink

Video removed.

If you don't provide a reasoned discussion as to why you are posting something, you don't get to post in this thread

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2012