Just a quick Question? does this sound right?

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by tulsa, Dec 17, 2011.

1. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

As I have always said, I am a master at nothing but working my A** off trying to get there. I have a "Gentleman" here in my area:

Professor Hargrave, a native Oklahoman, received martial arts training from instructors located throughout the United States. In 1993 he received the Instructor of the Year award for his teaching in the art of Jeet Kune Do, the style founded by Bruce Lee, and was also inducted into the World Martial Arts Hall of Fame. In 1995 Hargrave was the youngest person to be promoted to Professor of martial arts and he received the Instructor of the Year award for his teaching in Karate. In 1996 he received the award for Best Martial Arts School in the United States, and was recognized by U.S. Congress and the United States Senate for this achievement. Hargrave holds instructor / black belt rankings in Kempo Karate, Kung Fu, Goshin Jutsu, Jeet Kune Do, Aiki Jitsu, Tae Kwon Do, and is the author of two martial arts books. Hargrave is the founder SOKE of the styles known as Combat Martial Arts and American Combat Kempo which he introduced in 1992, and in 2000 was presented the International Founders Award by Dr. E.A. Moore (President of the World Martial Arts hall of Fame)as recognition for the defense system.

First Martial Arts Training in 1968 with Hanshi Lou Angel in Goju Karate

Authored Original Jeet Kune Do Training Manual

Second Generation Jeet Kune Do Instructor

Certified JKD Instructor 1992, Jeet Kune Do Association

Founding Board Member 1992, Jeet Kune Do Association

Authored Combat Martial Arts Kempo Karate Manual 1993

Instructor of the Year JKD, World Martial Arts Hall of Fame, Presented by G. W. Dill and Jeet Kune Do Association

Certified JKD Instructor FJKD Association 1993

Certified Black Belt Tae Kwon Do 1993

Certified Black Belt Bushido Kempo, Promoted by G.W. Dill

Certified Black Belt Aiki Jitsu, Promoted Dr. Farenelli

Certified National College of Martial Arts, Instructor JKD, Black Belt Bushido Kempo, Black Belt Aiki Jitsu, Certified Lou Angel and G. W. Dill

Executive Director World Jeet Kune Do Federation 1992

Certified Black Belt 2nd Dan Kempo, Promoted by Toma Soke Okinawa and Japan, and Rod Sacharnoski

Certified Black Belt 2nd Dan Jujitsu, Promoted by Toma Soke Okinawa and Japan, and Rod Sacharnosk

Certified Black Belt 3nd Dan Kempo, Promoted by Toma Soke Okinawa and Japan, and Rod Sacharnoski

Certified Black Belt 3rd Dan Jujitsu, Promoted by Toma Soke Okinawa and Japan, and Rod Sacharnoski

Executive Director American Combat Kempo Association 1992
    Certified Grandmaster Kung Fu 8th Degree Black Sash

Certified 8th Dan Black Belt Grandmaster Aiki Jujitsu

Instructor Headmaster Juko Kai Kokusai Remnei 1994

Certified 3rd Dan Black Belt Goshin Jutsu
    Combat Martial Arts system featured on local newscasts. 1995

Awarded Karate Instructor of the Year, Inducted Martial Arts Hall of Fame 1995

Certified Shihan 5th Dan Kempo World Certified Instructor, Promoted by Dr. E. A Moore, Prof. Thomas Burdine, Prof. John Willaims, Prof. Ed Gross, Prof. Ray Gunther, Prof. Pelligrini.

Certified Professor of Martial Arts 1995

Appointed Executive Director World Martial Arts Hall of Fame Board Member 1995 --

Appointed a Director United Kung Fu Federation of North America 1995

Certified Professor 7th Dan Kempo Ryu Karate.

Certified Professor 7th Dan Combat Kempo Karate, American Kenpo Bu-Jutsu Karate

Awarded best martial art school in the U. S. Recognized by U. S Congress and US Senate.1996

Awarded Governors Commendation for best martial arts school --

Certified Hanshi 8th Dan Kempo Ryu Karate, 2000 -

Released Top Selling Original JKD Training and Ranking Video Series

Certified Soke Head Founder of a new Martial Art Style. Father of Combat Martial Arts. 2000 Certified by World Martial Arts Hall of Fame Sokeship Council, Board of Directors. --

Certified 10th Dan Kempo -- Multiple Certificates

Released American Combat kempo Training and Ranking Videos
    Director World Kempo Association.

JKD Division Director World Budo Alliance

Certified Master Instructor Romania JKD Association

Inducted United States Martial Arts Association Hall of Fame 2001

Grandmaster of the Year United States Martial Arts Association. 2001 --

World Budo Alliance Grading Board Chairman

World Soke Council Member

Developed system adapted for training United States Marines

Member Hawaii Martial Arts International Society

Member World Filipino Martial Arts Association

Certified Guro Escrima

Certified Grandmaster 8th Dan Ju Jitsu 2009

Certified Grandmaster 8th Degree Black Sash Kung Fu 2009

This is a work in progress over the years. For the Masters and Grandmasters we may have left out we only have the greatest amount of love and respect and we hope to add everyone.

Member of many martial arts associations, federations, and organizations, also many organizations certifying the same ranks.

WHEN DOES HE FIND THE TIME TO ****?:evil:

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Lots of arts there. Why is this in the JKD section?

Am I to assume you are not questioning his FMA or Kempo credentials?

3. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

look and read everything?

4. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Check out E-Budo for info on Rod Sacharnoski and Juko Kai.

The term Soke pops up too often, he might want to look at what it means, and I'd wonder about just what he means by "Aiki Jitsu" and the good old World Soke Council pops up.

There's enough on that list for me to :rolleyes: and think "not again".

5. Simon

Nope, not interested in playing games. If someone is good I'll train with them, whatever their rank.

If you want someone to play games I think you'll find the JKD forum is the wrong place to do it.

6. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Now whilst I do not personally know him, not have a trained with him, his reputation is generally considered...less than exceptional

Here is a less-rabid-than-usual bullshido thread on him which does throw a lot of doubt on some of his claims

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=31636&page=1

My personal take? He is all blow and no go

Here is an example of the man in "action"

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEUZg_YaM5o&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEUZg_YaM5o&feature=related[/ame]

Last edited: Dec 17, 2011
  7. tulsa

tulsa Valued Member

this is not playing games, if someone is actually all this a a bag of chips it would be out standing, I have a few of my friends that wanted to train in JKD concepts and came across this guy. To ME, it sounds like a bunch of BS! but I was going for the JKD folks thoughts on him. In my world of MA this would be considered "blowing smoke" but since I do not practice JKD I was hoping for some true thoughts about this guys claims. I will tell you one thing more, I was trying to protect my friends before I told them anything negative about this guy. But, if the JKD folks do not want to help there own artist then I see ...

8. Hannibal

Despite his 10 million websites he seems to put a lot of stock in his "World JKD" stuff, which is the usual "not political whilst being political" Mcgubbins so I suspect that is why Tulsa posted here

9. Simon

That is a lot clearer and warrants an apology from me for steaming in.

My concern with the clips such as the one Hannibal posted is the speed. My own view is that JKD is very fast, especially between the transitions, but the clip shown is all speed and no accuracy or intent.

The lack of angling off would also show lack of understanding.

I suppose the proof is in the pudding. Go to the class with an air of scepticism and hope to be impressed.

10. Hannibal

He is certainly rooted in the OJKD end of the scale (being formerly under Gary Dill - who has apparently severed ties with Hargrave) so I would NOT recommend him for anyone with an interest in the JKDC end

That is notwithstanding his technical ability. As i said i do not know him - I find the above video exceptionally poor though, masking lack of ability with slappy-happy-tappy to give an illusion of speed.

11. Dean Winchester

Dam I'm in the JKD forum?

I need to pay attention.

12. Hannibal

This is also a touch suspect, although not uncommon these days

13. Hannibal

Here is some more poor material

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBKaojJv6D4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBKaojJv6D4&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

Not what Simon and I have both picked up on instantly - all flash and no fire.

The trapping is weak and the follow up punches laughable. Add in the sloppy clinch and a demo partner who acts in the very "dissecting a corpse" manner Bruce used to mock and it is far from a pretty picture. He has no mechanics, flow or anything to suggest he is worth learning under.

14. Hannibal

Begone Heathen!

15. Dean Winchester

Hey I've done some JKD......a little........a long time ago... :eek:

16. Hannibal

Fixed :evil:

17. Dean Winchester

He looks all arms.

18. Simon

Exactly that. All slappy slap, typical of those (especially in JKD) who want to look cool in demonstrations, all designed to draw in the unknowing.

Glaringly obvious to anyone with any understanding of body mechanics how bad it is though. I bet guys like this never allow their students to hit back.

19. Hannibal

Ok, now it is getting embarassing...look at 0:12 here - APPALLING!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrd6YOZNHP0&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrd6YOZNHP0&feature=related[/ame]

And some simply stunning "Hobo Style" at 0:56

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-7TYA2PY8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh-7TYA2PY8&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

This individual is simply appallingly bad at EVERYTHING except self-promotion (because the production quality of the video trailers are actually pretty good).

As a linked aside here is one of his students in an MMA match. Although they win, I suspect my grandmother would have had just as much success and she has been dead for 10 years

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQQKVywd2Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkQQKVywd2Q&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL[/ame]

20. Hannibal

If anything else was needed to show what an idiot Hargrave is....

He actually tried to COPYRIGHT Jeet Kune Do!