Knives/swords/misc weapons you own

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Sketco, Dec 1, 2011.

1. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Got any fun swords, knives, guns, pole axes, brass knuckles, asp batons etc?
    Whatcha got? Pics if you've got em!

I got rid of pretty much all weapons except for these. I have a thing for blades but also for practicality. These I can use for woods craft and the big one would be nasty to get chopped with.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG]

The knife is an ESEE knives Junglas.
    Carbon steel drop point blade. Saber grind with a very wide primary bevel. It has a very a very thick and durable powder coat to protect against blade rust.
    Blade 10 3/8" long, 3/16" wide. Overall length 16.5"
    Weight 22oz pr 1.37 lbs.
    Handle: micarta scales
    The sheath is kydex. It comes with a nylong backing which has molle and belt attachment options as well as a retention strap.

[​IMG]

The loop on the end is so the knife will not go flying if I loose my grip while cutting/chopping with the knife.
    I did the wrap on the handle with a long strip of very smooth type of polyester. It gives additional grip and means I can use the knife without gloves more comfortably. It does add some thickness to the handle, which I don't like, and slightly alter the weight balance (in a good way I think) but thankfully the handle is wide enough that even if you have larger hands you can choke down for chopping.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

You can see the production number is stamped on the blade. I got the 16th one made which is probably why mine cost around $300 including taxes.
    This knife is probably the best large woods knife I have owned. The curved handle profile is awesome for chopping and the weight profile is perfect for that without being so far forward as to be tiring while swinging for extended periods.
    The writing/symbol on the blade is lazer etched and coated before the black coating is applied so that only the actual edge of the blade is exposed
    The sheath is very high quality. It has a drainage hole and a tension screw which varies the amount of force needed to extract the knife so it's safe to carry without a retention strap. When you put the screw all the way forward you can't extract the knife at all. And most importantly it's razor sharp.
    It's powder coat is very durable. I batoned this knife through some hard wood while camping and it didn't scratch a bit even while bashing on it very hard. The steel stayed pretty sharp and resharpened nicely as is expected of a quality high carbon steel.
    It's not cheap by any means but it's well worth it for a knife like this and ESSE's warranty is the BEST. If it breaks, they will replace it.
    I may get a second one once I progress to the Baat Jam Do in Wing Chun. Excepting the lack of the guards they're perfect.

The only things I don't like about it:
    The micarta scales could be textured to give more grip for bare handed use.
    The blade isn't a full flat grind which would be nicer for batoning
    The price.

Currently the biggest and baddest weapon I own... next to myself.

[​IMG]

This knife is an old German made woods knife with a leather sheath.
    Carbon steel Scandinavian ground blade with a blood groove. The handle is micarta scales.
    Blade is 4 7/8" long, 1/8" wide, Total length 9"
    Handle: stacked leather washers
    Weight: probably between 3 and 4 oz
    The sheath is leather but hey, the knife is 30 years old. The stitching came out at the end and the blade was poking out so I wrapped it enough in electrical tape to nest the small bit of blade at the end.
    The sheath was also stretched for years a few decades of use and the retention strap broke so I made a plastic insert which hold the knife securely in the sheath.

[​IMG][​IMG]

The handle is a bit too small for my taste when doing finer wood tasks so I wrapped it in paracord.
    The guard on the blade kept me from putting my thumb comfortably on the back of the blade so that got bent down.
    I also reprofiled the tip from all 3 angles so it's better for wood working and the back of the blade is at 90 degrees for use with a spark rod.

[​IMG][​IMG]

I've always liked this knife. It's served me well. It's VERY sharp even when only sharpened with a coarse grit stone and it's small enough to slip into a pocket if I'm just going for a walk. It's good for small woods craft tasks although I may add an ESEE Izula to my collection. I may also get a custom kydex sheath made for this at some point although I could just buy a new and better knife.

[​IMG]
    I also have one of these except mine is drop forged steel and the handle octagonal with no rubber bit. It would make a nasty impact weapon held at either end.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
  2. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Here's two of many....being a Silat guy, I have a lot of cutlery.

Attached Files:

3. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Note to self do not break into Sketco's house.

I believe in the UK batons are illegal, (the police versions anyway) last time I checked they carry the same/more of a sentence than a firearm.

But yes, I have quite a collection of toys...

4. windtalker

windtalker Pleased to return to MAP

Most of the weapons I own are multi-purpose, ie for hunting and if necessary self-defense. Granted my collection far exceeds the number of them which actually get used. Still my interest with knives, guns and such is largely practical in nature.

When it comes to knives, I have often noticed some of the lesser known and priced knives perform well as or better than many brands oft advertised in magazines. Not a suggestion to buy cheap knives. Just that good quality ones exist without the name and price tag. Look at Mora of Sweden for example.

With firearms the big deal seems to be "tactical". Same goes with knives for that matter. Yet often there's a lot of hype attached that makes little difference when it comes to hunting or self-defense. My 30-30 has killed a fair number of deer, as those lever actions have done for decades for thousands of hunters.

About the only area where name and price does seem to make a difference is archery. The new compound bows can do amazing things in a compact package. And recurves are usually expensive.

5. Oddsbodskins

Oddsbodskins Troll hunter 2nd Class

Those are a couple of gorgeous pieces :D

6. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Yeah Ular... that's some great craftsmanship from whoever made those!

7. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Thanks guys. Like I said, I have lots. The one is an old Balinese keris. The ones in the rack are pretty old too. I'm sorry I don't have any more kerambit photos as I have about a dozen or so around here.

Attached Files:

8. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Not all in my collection is old. These are two hand made pieces.

Attached Files:

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

[​IMG]

Not my handgun but it's identical except for the finish. Mine's still got the stock flat black laquer finish instead of the sandblasted metal finish. That, and the aftermarket grip is ash instead of walnut. Got the grip from the same guy though.

[​IMG]

My carry knife. I'd carry a much less, uh, "concerning" folder but I don't trust them. No matter how secure the locking mechanism is, I still fear for my fingers on the draw or closing or any heavy cutting. I really like this knife though, I'd reccommend it. The only caveat would be, if you have thick fingers, they won't fit between the ridges that keep your hand on the grip.

Tons of other stuff knocking around from my weaboo days too. Most of my collection is Russian camouflage and chest-rigs and stuff, not really weapons exactly.

10. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

@ Silat guys - you should see my little brothers knife collection!

I'll see if i can get pictures soon and post them.
    He's got loads of swords from different time periods in punjab as well as some nice Masaii tribe stuff and some silat stuff i bought him.

11. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That's a beautiful gun Ratty. I do love those wooden grips but just like with the knives I'd only ever keep them around for show especially with a wood like ash or walnut. Modern materials hold up better and have better grip for actual use.

And yes Zaad pictures would be awesome!

12. Teflon

Teflon Valued Member

Not sure how much this is actually enforced. The police have found my telescopic baton in my house, and asked who it belonged to. My fiancee asked why it mattered as they were not here for a weapons search. The officer placed it back and made no further comment.

13. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

I guess it might depend on what type of baton it was, it might be a different issue if you were caught outside with it. According to Wikipedia:

In the UK, batons are considered to be offensive weapons (as they are "made or adapted for use for causing injury to the person"), which prohibits their possession in a public place under the Prevention of Crime Act 1953.[9] In addition, manufacturing, selling, lending and importing fixed[10] and telescopic[11] batons are all prohibited under section 141 of the Criminal Justice Act 1988.[12]

14. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Fixed batons don't appear to be on the list.

15. kuntaoer

kuntaoer Valued Member

Ular Sawa,
    I saw the bottom blade on another website that is run by Pendekar Sanders.. May I ask what the chisel tip on the blade is for? I have seen similar designs but the tip came at more of an angle for thrusting..

Thanks for the info.

16. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

Actually according to that list you can have a telescopic baton as long as it's not the spring loaded kind. We have the same provision in Canada and it's pretty stupid because with practice you can flick the regular batons out with your wrist almost as fast.

17. Ben Gash CLF

Is that a Cz83? What made you go for it?

18. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

You can't actually have the baton - well, not as such.

The law in Canada is pretty much the same as the UK and covers "made. adapted or intended" - with a baton there is no real grey area as it is a pure "hitting stick" and your reason for having it is going to be...well for hitting people really

Sidenote about weapons but it illustrates the point about intent; I saw a charge come past my desk the other day for Assault with a Weapon - loaf of bread! It was thrown at the security guard as shoplifter tried to make off

19. Ben Gash CLF

If it's not on the offensive weapon's list surely you can own it or trade it, you just can't carry it except for transport?

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Actually I missed that and you are correct - Mea culpa, of course yes you can OWN it...carry it, no

whoops!