Shuto UKE

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Ives, Nov 29, 2011.

1. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

Hello everyone,

I have a short inquiry about Shuto-uke. I already did a quick search and had a look at Chadderz thread about the Blade hand and a thread about traditional blocks. These threads however don't go in to what I would like to know.

Many styles practice the shuto-uke. I have seen different approaches to using this uke. Ihave also seen different ways of performing and making this uke.
    How is yours? Is it more a chudan-uke at a similar starting point as gedan-barai or the neck-area or is it more a jodan-uke (not as an age-uke) starting high above the shoulders? When do you turn you arm?

Here's how I do mine (as thought in our style of karate):
    We use it as a jodan-block so it starts high above the shoulder, but the elbow points down. The palm-side of the hand faces to my head, thumb-side up.
    My hand turns at the height of my philtrum.
    The uke ends with the elbow slightly inward.
    This makes a rather large motion.

I have seen many shuto-uke starting from the neck. I believe these are difficult to apply.

I'd like to read (or see) how you do yours in kihon kata or kumite!

2. Osu,

Can you post pics of vids?
    Reading your post is like discussing color schemes over the phone - it doesn't go well!

Which shuto uke are you talking about?
    Mae shuto mawashi uke, or shuto mawashi uke?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Osu!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

4. Ives

Mine looks more like this one:

Attached Files:

5. Fish Of Doom

so like in shotokan?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzlJJ6K8rPw"]KUMITE KIHON KARATE SHOTOKAN SHUTO UKE - YouTube[/ame]

6. Ives

Yes, but with the shuto in starting position higher up. (The height like age-uke, with the hand above the shoulder.)

7. Fish Of Doom

8. Ives

Yes. That's a video of my karate style, he trains at another dojo. It's the same club though.
    We do at, our dojo, start higher. (Sorry no video of that.)
    Personally I don't like his opened-finger-shuto-form, you seen those quite often at other schools/styles aswell.

That's our Wangshu kata by the way.

9. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

Mine's the typical shotokanny one that Fishy posted.

btw

*hits everyone in this thread with a shuto*

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  10. Wastelander

Wastelander Valued Member

I do mine starting from the opposite-side ear and I either strike at a downward angle (like in the image you posted) for chudan-level blocking or I strike more straight out for jodan-level blocking. I learned the chudan-level method in Shuri-Ryu and the jodan-level method in Shorin-Ryu, but I use both. To be fair, though, when I am actually working application I rarely pull my hand back to the ear--I just shoot it out from wherever it happened to be.

11. Peter Lewis

Peter Lewis Matira Matibay

I guess I've been out of Karate for too long, but from a practical point of view, it doesn't really matter where it starts or finishes, so long as it does the job...either as a block, parry, or attack.

That said, to preserve your own art, then you should do it as is practiced within that art. it can be very easy to try other versions and then slip into the wrong one. :rolleyes:

12. Fish Of Doom

what he said

13. GaryWado

GaryWado Tired

I was always taught that Shuto-uke was important in order to teach body mechanics (and later correct distance/entering)

Imo, there is far more going on that meets the eye, and the direction that your arms/hands are going isn't really the main point.

Gary

14. Fish Of Doom

what he said too.

15. Ives

@Peter Lewis
    Point taken. I see many people, in my style and others, that seem to have no clue what they are doing. I mean, don't these people question what they do, and why they do it?
    Some make turn their shuto at the starting point, others at ending point. (Without asking why.)

Further I'm aware of the 'deformation for apllication'. (The level of creation versus application.)

@GaryWado
    I agree that there is more than meets the eye.
    For example how easy it is to apply kaishu-forms to the other uke, like an openhanded soto-uke or gedan-barai.

I do think however, that on the level of creation, the direction of your arms/hands is the main point for you practice the ideal technique (which is different from application).

~In general
    I think highly shuto (uke/uchi) (kaishu in general). They are great techniques, that are almost instantaniously ready for a grab or slap or thrust or pinch or...(fill in what you can think of).

I am however still interested to hear how everyone else learns/practices their shuto-uke.

16. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

Shotokan style here (one hand extended, other chambered at ear then release to block / kokutsu dachi etc). The way i like to apply it is attack / using the chamber as a parry to lead leg sweep and strike with the final blocking action, keep coming forward and go for it again on the other side, your bound to sweep a foot then with the opponent on the retreat. Can even get an elbow going with the second chambering action etc. Basicaly like the end of Heian shodan.
    Thats staying specific to the blocking action itself, otherwise it makes for a great entry tech to all sorts of things.

17. Blade96

Blade96 shotokan karateka

yep, that's ours :)

18. Griffin

Griffin Valued Member

http://youtu.be/Vw-wnObCc3U

When the full blocking actions are applied, as in the chambering actions etc, it more or less leads us to parry/strike and so on. No longer a stand alone block, but more so an attacking set.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2011
  19. Ives

@Griffin
    The shuto-uke will open up for severel attacks. That's why I like it.
    It can also be a very hard block (on the recieving end that is!).
    That will be the grey zone between mere uke and uchi!

20. Fish Of Doom