Flex your specs!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by CrowZer0, Nov 23, 2011.

1. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Well haven't seen this here, to be honest haven't seen a whole lot of anything on the computing side of the forum!

But share your specs PC/Laptop specs.

This is a custom build I made in April.

http://gyazo.com/c0b50b2ae217136623c1048678b73e7d (Screenshot from Speccy)

The motherboard isn't really 60 there's a problem with the sensors on those motherboards, I could install the mobo software and fix it but according to Bios and benchmarks I haven't seen it past 35 degrees.

The CPU is actually overclocked to 4.4ghz and it's that cool because I use a H70 hydro cooler. I haven't seen the CPU ever go above 45 degrees other than in benchmark tests.

I'm going to go back to dual screens, this is a temporary monitor, and the next upgrade will be an SSD after I learn/figure out how to install games into a non SSD drive but make them run at the same speed. (My games are in excess of 400gb) and an SSD that size is pricey.

This PC is my baby :D

2. CrowZer0

Btw the GPU is a Asus 6990 not a 6900 as far as I'm aware a 6900 doesn't exist. I check on prices of the parts quite regularly and usually see them dive after 6 months! Was very surprised to see the 6990 (asus version atleast) Has actually increased in price to £580. I was very happy about this. http://www.scan.co.uk/products/4gb-...dr5-gpu-830mhz-3072-cores-4x-mini-dp-dl-dvi-i I got it for 530 or so I think.

3. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Does it have to be a workstation, or can I show off my servers as well?

4. CrowZer0

Please don't show off your Xeon processors against my i7 :(

Fine go ahead... I bet I have you beat at Graphics!

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  5. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Probably not. The central server also acts as a media streaming system to the rest of the house. :)

Sadly they're not all wired up yet (my parents are doing a massive rebuild of the house, and wanted a home media/automation/security system set up), but they're sitting in boxes, fully installed and configured and ready to be wired in. :)

6. CrowZer0

That's cheating! You can't boast specs when it isn't even wired up :)

Sounds sweet though up the specs when you can!

7. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

Central server -
    CPU: 2 * Intel Xeon X5660 (6C * 2.8GHz)
    RAM: 96GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 1333MHz
    RAID Controller: PERC H700 with 1GB cache
    RAID Array 1: 2 * 50GB SSD in RAID 1 (OS Partition/Swap file)
    RAID Array 2: 4 * 2TB SATA in RAID 6 (Data storage)
    Network: Dual 8GB FC to core switch
    Graphics: 4 * PXN1005 TriMedia PCI Card (In fairness, having parents who work in embedded DSP systems does help a little with this bit - the firmware's all custom built in-house)

I'm rather proud of it really. :)

As for my own actual laptop, that's just a slightly customised Dell Studio 17. Only differences from the bog standard are that it's touchscreen, has a bumped up processor (core i7 2.4 rather than 1.6), more memory (16GB since I use it for development) and a bigger harddrive (1TB rather than 500GB). Nothing special, and I need to look at upgrading.

8. CrowZer0

That's quite beastly, umm what kind of security are you running at your home?

9. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

In the room the server's in? It's actually going to be in a concealed cupboard in a wall (not gonna tell you where) with ventilation tied to the AC. We live in a fairly crime-free area, and frankly there's people with much more stuff worth stealing than us nearby (and with less security too).

10. CrowZer0

Lol I wasn't planning an Ocean's 14

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Okay.

Dell Dimension XPS 720
    • Intel Core 2 Quad CPU with a clock speed of 2.66Ghz.
    • 8GB RAM.
    • 1.5TiB internal HDD space (2x250GiB + 2x500GB SATA).

• Swap=500MB.
      • /=19.7GiB.
      • /home=209GiB.
      • /mnt/mediarepo=1.1TiB (configured with LVM).

• 1TiB external backup drive via USB 2.0.
    • 4 x DVD burners (one lightscribe drive).
    • Various memory card readers in one device. Can't remember how many it can read.
    • 2 x Nvidia 7900 graphics cards in an SLI setup.
    • 63" Samsung series 700 plasma screen TV as a display.
    • Wireless Toshiba keyboard with track pad.
    • OS is 32-bit Ubuntu 11.10 with the PAE enabled.

It's an old machine now. I think I have a failing hard drive. But it still does the job.

12. CrowZer0

Did you add to that or is that the original settings of the xps 270?

Since we are mentioning back up drives now, With my 3tb (1tb and 2tb) I have to externals 2tbs each, I need an upgrade soon running out of space.

What's with the 4 dvd burners? I have the one Bluray/DVD
    With a screen that big, do you game? Might need a better Graphics set up :)

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Oh it's been upgraded several times. Originally it was an XPS 700. I got the 720 system board and Quad core CPU on a discounted upgrade deal Dell were running because they axed plans to maintain an upgrade path for the 700 series. Which led to a customer revolt. Which I took full advantage of. :evil:

I also upgraded the RAM and the hard drives and added two additional DVD drives. Including the lightscribe drive. I rip all my DVDs and CDs (yes I still buy CDs) to my PC. So it's just easier and faster to set up a couple of discs for ripping and let churn away over night.

I was going to upgrade the graphics a few years ago. Before the 700 series were chopped from Dells range. But apparently Nvidia changed the power connectors on the fans or some such. I not sure how true that is. But I've gotten lazy in my old age and just can't be bothered. I don't really use it for games now. So I don't need a more powerful graphics setup. The few games I do play, I play on my PS3. Which is also plugged into my big telly. As is my cable box.

It was also originally a Windows XP Professional machine until the Windows XP disc exploded in my DVD drive during a reinstall of the OS when I was trying to recover from a permanent BSOD after SP3 killed my digital camera drivers. Until then I also had a SoundBlaster Audigy card as well. I had to ditch that since Creative never got around to producing a decent Linux driver for the Audigy. I miss my Audigy card. The sound quality was so good. But it's just not enough to tempt me back to the BSOD world. I prefer my grey screen freezes.

14. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

Which one am I showing off?

Desktop 1:
    AMD Phenom II x3 BE @ 3.2GHz
    16GB DDR3 1333 RAM
    40GB Intel SSD (Boot)
    750GB WD Caviar Black (Data)
    nVidia Geforce GTX 460 1GB (Core Overclocked to 800MHz, Mem @ 2GHz)
    Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop 2:
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 @ 2.67GHz
    8GB DDR2 800 RAM
    250GB WD Caviar Blue (Boot)
    1TB WD Caviar Green (Data)
    1.5TB WD Caviar Green (Data)
    nVidia Quadro FX 1800
    nVidia Geforce 9800GT
    Fedora Linux 14 x86_64 (running kernel 3.1rc9, getting ready to build 3.2)

Laptop 1:
    MacBook Pro 1,1; running OS 10.6

Laptop 2:
    Toshiba Satellite A505D-S6968, FC14, W7Pro

Server:
    Sun Netra T2
    Sun UltraSPARC IV @ 500MHz
    1GB ECC PC133 RAM
    2x36GB Seagate Cheetah (SCSI, ZFS RAID 1)
    OpenSolaris b134 SPARC (the final "release" before Oracle took over)

Work Computer:
    Intel i5 660 @ 3.33GHz
    8GB DDR3 1333 RAM
    250GB WD Caviar Blue (Boot)
    1TB WD Caviar Black (Data)
    ATi Radeon HD 5770
    Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 x86_64

15. CrowZer0

The Desktop 1 seems the cream of the crop here, question why the 16gb of ram? Had any problems with the western digital caviar range? They usually get bad press.

16. CrowZer0

Windows 7 64 bit is the way to go, why preference to Linux? The Soundblaser range is pretty sweet. :) I would go for one of them if I wasn't using Razer Megladons for my games, with a built in sound card can't go wrong. :)

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

• Linux does everything I need from my desktop PC.

• Upgrades are free to download.

• I can install it on any number of PCs without having to buy additional licences or pirate the copy I already have.

• I can make as many back up copies of the installation disc as I want without having to fight my way past DRM nonsense.

• If needs be I can use my installation disc to install the OS onto a friends PC without any hassles or invalidating any license or breaking the law.

• The system of software repositories for managing installed software is in my opinion far superior to anything available for Windows or Mac.

• In my experience Linux has just been a whole lot more stable as an OS than Windows ever was.

• My PC is no longer a high end gaming rig. Time has moved on and so has technology. To get the most out of it as a gaming rig, I'd need to spend a lot of money on new graphics cards. And I don't believe in upgrading hardware every six months or every year even. I expect to get a good run of at least 3 to 5 years out of hardware. I'm pretty sure this PC is more than 5 years old. Can't remember exactly when I bought it.

Windows 7 64-bit? Tried it. It's slightly less annoying than Windows Vista and certainly seems to be more stable than Windows XP. However I've still experienced the Black Screen of Death with Windows 7 and it still has Vista's nag screens. So for me it's not that big an improvement over Vista. In fact I recently booted up my copy of Windows 7 I have installed on a VM just to run some updates and it accused me of having pirated software. I had to go through the telephone method of authentication. Which is hideous and unnecessary. I just don't see any "Genuine Advantage" to me there.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2011
  18. armanox

armanox Kick this Ginger...

I bought 16GB of RAM for two reasons - it was on sale, and I wanted to be able to say I have 16GB of RAM! Quite nice when I'm running virtual machines, otherwise, it's nice to turn off the Windows page file without worrying about not having enough RAM.

As far as the WD Caviar drives go, I haven't experienced the issues that they get bad press for. The 1.5TB Green Drive is the only drive that's had any issues (1 bad sector) out of the whole bunch listed. In the past 5 years between home and work I've seen 1 WD drive fail (a first gen Raptor) (work is ~80 workstations).

19. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Given how tightly data is packed on to hard drives these days I'd say it's quite likely all makes of magnetic spinning disk based hard drive are going to suffer increased failure rates.

20. CrowZer0

I might have to check Linux out for myself. Would there be difficulty in gaming?