tomiki aikido

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by ziseez, Feb 15, 2004.

1. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

i want too know 2 things,the lineage and background of who trained under tomiki and i wanna know what kinda style of tomiki really is and what do yall think about it??

2. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

There are other people better qualified than my self to answer this question. But basicaly Tomiki Aikido as I understand it is a combination of both Aikido and Judo. Tomiki Kenji Sensei trained under O Sensei for Aikido and Jigaro Kano for Judo.

As for who trained under Tomiki? You might want to try a google search.

In all honesty Tomiki Aikido has never impressed me. But that said I haven't seen very much of it. I find it strange to have competition in an art that promotes a phylosophy of no competition. I also find it difficult to take anybody seriously who is attacking me with a rubber tanto.

3. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

5. nekogami13

nekogami13 Master of all I Survey

6. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

hmm interesting,thankyou for the links.does anyone know what o sensei would think of the competitive part of tomiki because i read something on it that said he was htinking of it or something like that,but tomiki uses the competitions to sharpen skills(correct me if i am wrong).

7. DexterTCN

DexterTCN New Member

Tomiki, Iwama, Ki et al...they all look entirely different. They all approach Aikido from the viewpoints of the people who 'translated' it.

O Sensei thought Tomiki was fine, he thought Iwama was fine...and so on.

The trouble is that a lot of Aikido comes with snobbery attached. There is a great deal of this is the only way to do Aikido, ever!. Ignore it.

Just train. :)

8. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

For the most relevant information, I suggest you look at this site:

Shodokan hombu website

I thought I'd add this excerpt from it as a note about the use of the terms 'tomiki' & 'shodokan'

9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

That's what I thought until joining MAP and talking about aikido with all the Tomiki folk on this forum. These guys quietly changed my mind 180 degrees about Tomiki aikido. Sylistically I'm still drawn to other flavors of aikido (M. Saotome and John Stevens, in particular) but I now see a very great benefit of tanto-defense competitions. A very great benefit.

10. ranger

ranger New Member

he was Jigaro Kano's student who Kano sent to O-Sensei to train Aikido, right? and this is why the reason for competitive aikido or aikido that emphasize with more randori? :)

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Yeah I think that's how it happened ranger. But I think Tomiki Sensei still traind in Judo while training in Aikido at the same time. It's all in the links everybody has posted.

12. Budd

Budd Valued Member

Would you prefer to be attacked with a razor-sharp steel or even an unsharpened wooden tanto?

*crickets*

Didn't think so.

As for the oft-quoted "There is no competition" in aikido, I believe that Peter Goldsbury has done some excellent research to show that depending on which translation you buy into, that same statement could be read as "There should be no rivalry in aikido". As for what Ueshiba believed and wanted, Tomiki was considered a favored student of his until Ueshiba's death. Kisshomaru Ueshiba's rise as doshu and the subsequent fractionalism that has persisted to this day in aiki-land is what led to Tomiki breaking ties with the Aikikai (unlike say, Yoshinkan, which is still on friendly terms).

And no, I do not train in Tomiki/Shodokan aikido, although I've trained/corresponded with some very well thought-of practitioners of this style and other derivations. I would love to have an opportunity to experience it first-hand.

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Actualy we do use both wooden and live tanto. I didn't say the competition element was wrong I just find it a little odd that's all. The fact that I haven't seen any tomiki aikidoka who have impressed me doesn't mean it's crap. It just means I haven't been impressed by it. And I'm sorry but the rubber tanto does look stupid.

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Just as an after thought, does anybody use a rubber bokken or jo? Why bother with a rubber tanto?

15. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

we use real ones :eek:

16. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

When you say "rubber tanto," do you mean firm rubber or floppy rubber? I've used both varieties outside of aikido. I can't imagine doing any aikido with a floppy knife. Ridiculous, I would think. But I can see using a firm rubber tanto. Not that much different from wood.

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Well the ones I have seen were floppy. Why is a rubber tanto used any? I can't see how it would be a saftey issue. Unless it's a sharpened stake you're using a wooden tanto isn't going to kill or hurt anybody that much. And there's still a wooden bokken and jo to clobbered with. Does Tomiki Aikido include defence against the jo and bokken?

I didn't think that comment would cause so much discussion lol.

18. ziseez

ziseez Valued Member

yes,i believe,just in higher ranks

19. Tintin

Tintin Cats: All your base...

We have a jo and bokken sestion in our 3rd dan syllabus.

5 techniques winning open hand against jo
    8 techniques winning with a jo against open hand
    5 techniques winning open hand against bokken
    8 techniques bokken against bokken

You want to know the point of a foam tanto? Try randori (by this I mean shiai - competition, against a wooden tanto. I did and got a great bruise for my efforts). I don't care what anyone says, against a knife you will very likely get hit. Against a wooden tanto it hurts. A badly judged strike could mash your face. Against a live blade. Mental :eek:

Good post by the way aikibunyee.

20. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Granted with a live blade both students absolutly must know what they are doing and be confident in their abilities. There is very little, if any, room for error. I certainly wouldn't want to be practicing with a live blade in the hands of a uke who just attacks blindly with no regard or respect for what it is he or she is doing. That said you don't want a uke who is overly hesitant. That can be just as bad.

But back to the rubber tanto. Think of what you just said tintin. You'll use a wooden bokken or jo that could mash your face in if you get it wrong, but when it comes to using a tanto you use a rubber or foam one incase you get it wrong.

I don't think using a rubber tanto is wrong. I personaly just think it looks silly. If it's to avoide getting hurt then think about how many other ways you could get hurt during a practice. Even without a weapon. Anybody ever trip on their hakama? Each to their own I guess.