Training Day 30 October

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by John Titchen, Nov 1, 2011.

1. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

On 30 October I ran a training day at the High Wycombe Judo Centre for a small group.

The primary aim of the day was to give the attendees some experience in utilising their existing martial arts training against HAOV in a variable contact environment.

Outline:

1. Venue set up (moving mats and creating a training space), Safety forms (medical and insurance check) and basic Safety brief.

2. Simulation Training Safety Brief

3. Group Introduction:
    JWT: Background in Shotokan Karate and Aikido, lots of cross training and other martial arts quals over the last 20 years.
    Kharmael: background originally in TKD. Began studying with me in September 2004. Moved away Summer 2006. Last trained at a seminar with me and Mitch in Southwell 2 years ago. Erratic Mapper.
    Student P: Began training with me in September 2005. Moved away to uni in autumn 2008 - erratic 4 times a year training since then!
    Student C: Began training with me in September 2006. A qualified Trident Self Defence Instructor and kEWAP Instructor with Stephen Timperley and a qualified instructor with me.
    Student H: Began Training with me in September 2010. Also trains in Seiki Juku Karate.
    Bassai: Shotokan Karate Instructor - first time doing armoured work with me. Solid Mapper.
    Simon S: Talented Instructor - first time doing armoured work with me. Map moderator - need I say more?
    Simon S's son: Talented student. First time doing armoured work with me.

4. Gear Acclimatisation
    Walk through talk through of PPE (High Gear, Spartan Training Gear, "Skins" armour, Blitz cage helmets). Light warm up and threshold training cycling through pairs - hitting each other.

5. One on one rehearsed training.
    2 Bystanders/safety supervisors in training arena plus me observing. 1 attacker, 1 defender. Attacks done slow, medium, fast. The concept is to give the trainee time to think of a response and then put them under more pressure by upping the speed.

Video review

6. Two on one rehearsed training.
    2 attackers and 1 defender (plus one mate who runs away) in the training area, plus external safety supervisors. Attacks done medium and fast. The concept is to give the trainee time to think of a response and then put them under more pressure by upping the speed.

Lunch - Video review
    Warm up - Blauer Tactical Systems Range Rover Drill

7. Two on two rehearsed training.
    2 attackers, 2 defendersin the training area, plus external safety supervisors. This was an attack from behind on two seated individuals. Attacks done slow and medium. The concept is to give the trainee time to think of a response and then put them under more pressure by upping the speed. Because of the hazard of the chairs in the small space we kept this light - an experience rather than pressure testing.

8. 1 on 1 unrehearsed.
    For this we created a small elevator space and just had a person flip out and attack without warning. To give more surprise (and less room) there were 3 - 4 people in the lift and only the safety supervisor knew who was going to attack.

9. Multiples.
    A few scenarios based in a bar. Each participant individually given a role by me.

Video review

I've got quite a bit of footage to put together. There were some really funny moments. Quite a few good and bad points in everyone (and of course in my students that points a finger at me). We saw bits of Kata (I kid you not) and I think at one point there may even have been some straight blast. :)

Footage coming soon.

2. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

*sits down with popcorn and waits*

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

*taps Paul on the shoulder and steals a handful of popcorn when he turns to look*

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Thanks jwt for a great day.

I'll call this exactly as I see it.

jwt is someone who I would definately train under again and I would not say that about many let me tell you.
    He has an excellent knowledge of the subject matter, attention to detail, but with a relaxed atmosphere and working environment.

The scenarios were surprisingly realistic given the space and equipment available and this was greatly helped by jwt's students, whose verbal and physical aggression came as a surprise to those of us who had not met or trained with them before.
    Those same guys though were polite, helpful and full of advice.

jwt came with various types of training equipment, which in terms of cost would be beyond many, meaning this type of training would be out of the reach of most instructors. Therefore I suggest that if you get the opportunity to train in RBSD with an instructor who comes this prepared, then take it.

After each scenario we went through video analysis, some of it frame by frame. It was a shock to see so many bad habits, bad habits I tell my students off for I was doing myself.
    This analysis will greatly assist in the way I view my own training and that of my students, especially in terms of posture, holding the hands high, looking for ways out of clinches and so on.

Some of you will know that my son was arrested for assault. Luckily it was all sorted out ammicably, but this day taught him how real and sudden violence could be, it also though showed how a confrontation did not have to end if conflict. I know he learnt a lot, so thanks jwt for that.

The day was topped off with a bloody cold shower and a meal at the local Indian restaurant.

I thoroughly recommend coming to the next event should you get the chance, not only to train in RBSD, but to meet other members of MAP.

One final thing.

It was a JKD straight blast, not a chain punch. :rolleyes:

5. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What a strange place to have a shower. :)

6. John Titchen

First video...

This is Simon's son doing his first armoured training with us. The same scenario was repeated slow, medium and fast. The attacker is Student C and Student P (in red) and Kharmael are also in the training area.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pab_MfemH_w"]Sim Day 3 Student BS - Rehearsed - YouTube[/ame]

I was impressed by this. You can see both Student C upping the pace and Simon's son upping the contact level as his confidence grows.

7. John Titchen

I hasten to add the showers are normally hot, and we ran out of time to use the sauna. Next time, we'll make sure the boiler is put on at lunch. :)

8. Simon

Reply from my son.

9. John Titchen

This is Simon S in the first (rehearsed) stage with slow, medium and fast attacks.

Student P is his attacker and Student C and Bassai are also in the training area.

I think it is best that Simon talks through what he likes and didn't like about his performance in this one. Fret not... we'll see more of Simon later. :)

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jRR5JZdYv4"]Sim Day 3 SS Rehearsed - YouTube[/ame]

10. Simon

The first thing to say is that my left hand was redundant at the start of the slow, medium and fast drills. This is something that will certainly be addressed in class.

Once engaged I felt the spear engagement was strong enough and the fact I have been drilling the repeated elbow came out in the fight.

My initial response to the attacker had me looking weak. Both hands could have been up, even if they looked passive. I could have talked the situation down without the initial push on his chest, which just switched him on to engage me quicker.

In summary I would say, be prepared for aggressive, but try the polite passive first.

11. John Titchen

This is Bassai in the first (rehearsed) stage with slow, medium and fast attacks.

Student C is his attacker and Student P and Kharmael are also in the training area.

I think it is best that Bassai talks through what he likes and didn't like about his performance in this one. Fret not... we'll see more of Bassai later.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6Ioxs2Q67g"]Sim Day 3 Bassai - YouTube[/ame]

Student C actually found it hard to get to Bassai as the difference in their reach is quite significant.

12. John Titchen

PS Bassai went straight into Kata. Applied, effective Kata. Kata in the self defence section.

The world may never be the same again. :)

13. Simon

Interesting also that there is a far greater use of kicks compared to both my son and I.

14. Simon

Watching the fast clip again I liked the speed that Bassai moved away from the bar and held his hands high.

15. John Titchen

This is Kharmael's rehearsed training. Student P as attacker.
    A reminder of the context - this is his first training for at least 2 years! Kharmael was my physical sounding board for our original trial of non Heian Flow System elements as I put together the first syllabus under the title DART.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQCDNHnFH5Q"]Sim Day 3 Kharmael - YouTube[/ame]

In the slow and the medium he does a near perfect old fashioned variant of one of y drills. At speed he gets caught by the first punch and then tries to create distance while looking for striking opportunities. Student P calls it off as it became too like sparring and K's reach is much greater than his.

16. Simon

I like the look of the slow and medium drills here from a legal standpoint.

Student K defends himself and pushed Student P away. Easily backed up by shouting, "get away from me, I'm not interested."

17. John Titchen

The push is normally a little bit more forceful, makes contact with the back of the head, and is directed downwards. Still perfectly legal.

18. John Titchen

I'll put together some more of the clips, warts and all, tomorrow.

From my perspective this was a really fun day. I've trained with Bassai before and it was really good to catch up with him. Meeting Simon (and his son) a real pleasure too. All of them had such a fantastic attitude towards the training, taking it seriously, listening and responding to coaching points, but not taking themselves too seriously and clearly enjoying themselves.

19. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Some really good stuff on display here guys! I am a firm believer in contextual training and this is simply brilliant!

20. John Titchen

Thanks. That's very kind.

This is, from my perspective, quite low level stuff. Only one attacker and a 'known' attack (after the first slow attack) with not many variables. However it is at the same time an introduction to HAOV, a movement from static-dynamic-alive training, and an introduction to personal abusive language.

More 'interesting' stuff to come.