Chael Sonnen Sux!

Discussion in 'MMA' started by Done-Gone, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Who the hell does this guy think he is? He yelled out "Silva, you suck" at the UFC 185 lbs Champion - Anderson Silva. The same Anderson Silva that recently choked him out in a triangle and almost broke his elbow, while he was at it, as well. Then he called Silva out / challenged him, into a Sonnen wins - Silva leaves the 185 lbs division - if Silva wins, Sonnen leaves the UFC, forever. Very disrespectful and arrogant, IMHO.

Was this the UFC or the old school WWF?

What's your take on these type of public challenges?

A) Acceptable
    B) Uncalled for

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

C) show business

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Only thing better than a fight is two drama queens fighting.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Except this is only ONE drama queen...

5. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Fighters call out other fighters all the time. They just do it in different ways. When Chuck beat Randy he walked around the cage looking for Tito.

Tito in turn was calling Ken Shamrock (and vice versa).

GSP got on his knees and begged for a title shot...that counts as calling someone out.

Diaz Bros are always calling people out and can be seen mouthing abusive languages to someone off camera.

Happens all the time. Is just that this time Sonnen asked for a old school "Loser leaves town match". And he has the right to call out Silva, hes the only person who has absolutely dominated Silva for 4mins 45sec. No one has done that to him at all!
    ((Ryo Chonan and Daiju Takase are the only 2 who have beaten him via submission. Ryo Chonan was a UFC fighter briefly but wasnt able to win enough fights to earn a shot.))

Sonnen accepts that he lost, as per his post fight statement after Silva. So yes I think he will get the rematch. But no I dont think they'll follow through with the stipulation.

6. righty

righty Valued Member

It's just publicity.

7. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJ4XxrP-gaU"]anderson silva vs chael sonnen Highlight - YouTube[/ame]

*beware unless you enjoy fanboy overload turn the sound off for this vid.

8. Mushroom

http://chaelsonnensaidso.com/

9. Hannibal

- thingsyouwillneverhearSonnensaybecauseheisadishonestcoward. com

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

I'm actually starting to become a Chael fan with all this because its just incredibly smart. He knows if he says outrageous crap people will pay attention to him and lo and behold we have a thread calling him a douche. Exactly the same principle Tito and Koscheck use: Wether you love them or hate them you're talking about them and you're going to pay to watch them fight.
    I respect the dude as a fighter and its getting hard to not respect the way he's approached making a name for himself.

You can be sure nearly everyone on the ufc's roster is using TRT. Thing is people act like his roiding was the only reason he was able to dominate Silva for 4 and a half rounds which is just stupid. I don't doubt it helped but anyone who thinks that was the only reason he had success is a twit.

As for the criminal I mentioned some of this after Nate got kicked out for breaking the rules: There are a lot of fighters with bad pasts and no one gives a crap. Rampage is still a fan favourite and no one pays attention to his arrest a while ago. Hell he caused a miscarriage and no one in America of all places cares about that because he knocks people out. Chael commits fraud and its used against him at every opportunity.

Racist. Yeah I'm not going to defend that.

I'm sounding like I live off the guys nuts but this kind of fanboyism bugs me a lot. So much hypocrisy and double standards among fight fans.

11. Hannibal

Koshcheck, Tito et al were different in the sense that they hyped a fight and were different when it was over...look at Kosh vs GSP 2

Sonnen is not only loud and brash, he is blatantly offensive to the point of not being funny.

His Lance Armstrong comments for example. The douchebag denied saying them - like I said, a liar not a hype man. Then he got caught being a substance cheat himself and effectively denied that too - yet Dana allows this piece of crap to fight whilst not letting Nate Marquadt continue. And whilst he was running his pie hole about steroids HE WAS DOING THE SAME THING

The criminal record itself is no big shakes were it not a dishonesty offence, confirming Sonnen's status as an intrinsically dishonest person.

I never denied he gave Silva all he could handle...whilst enhanced is only a side issue that is a further testament to his lack of character...but Silva too had an injury and STILL won.

Sonnen lost - and it wasn't controversial or puzzling, he LOST...tapped, quit, gave up, cried "uncle"...however you slice it he tapped rather than napped.

I see the need for colorful characters - hell I was a heel wrestler for the short time I did it and you need the Ric Flair's to offset the Ricky Steamboats - but Sonnen is bad for the sport and everyone in it.

I would like to say I believe he will retire if (WHEN) he loses...but that would be taking him at his word, and he has already shown what that means

12. Southpaw535

Valid point although I'm not sure I agree with Tito being less of a douche after the fights. He's grown on me in recent years but in his prime I'm not so sure. Koscheck is a very good point though I forgot what he was like after losing to GSP. I'm not going to say I don't think Sonnen's being incredibly smart though because he is and it is a big hype builder. Maybe not just hype but I don't know.

Dana admits roiding himself so he's not completely innocent either although obviously he's not a fighter. However there is a list of fighters who will say hormone therapy is a roid loophole but who more than likely do it themselves. Without looking up the case again didn't it turn out Sonnen was actually within limits but just hadn't filed the paperwork same as Nate? Thought that was the reason his suspension got cut down.

Yet people cheer Rampage after putting a lot of people in serious danger. I'll cheer a fighter done for lying to a police officer long before someone commited for GBH.

Notice how Silva is always injured when he has a crap performance? Its like how Shogun is never 100% when he loses or when Bj isn't motivated for fights where he gets beat.

So? I never denied he lost but he still dominated the #1 p4p for 23 minutes and I think he's earned some respect for that.

You know I think my problem here is I hate Silva over the way he conducts himself as some humble champion but has many instances of being a complete dick himself. I just really don't see Sonnen being some unique example of douchebaggery.

13. Hannibal

Sonnen was outside the limits and stated "I told the Doc and he said it was fine"

Then the Doc said "No you didn't"

Then Sonnen said "When I say 'I' it means one of my team"

Then the Doc said "No they didn't"

Then Sonnen said "Well I thought they did so that is OK"

As for Silva being injured, to the best of my knowledge this is the ONLY time he has ever claimed an injury in a fight. Usually he says "I am here to fight not entertain" when he has a crappy fight.

GSP does not get the same flack for not finishing opponents - I think that is a testament to how dominant Silva is perceived.

Sonnen fought a great fight - then ruined it with is mouth. Rather than being known as "The man that nearly beat the man", he is instead "the gob on legs that cheats, lies and denies". The rematch was it's own hype IMO and didn't need the racist theatrics. I notice he was not ragging on Stann because he was a WASP American, even though Stann is nowhere near the calibre of fighter Silva is.

I am no Rampage fan either, and he would not be fighting in the UFC either if I had my way. Too many energy drinks my aching ass.....

14. Southpaw535

Fair enough. I do remember something about him having hypogonadism and not disclosing it though. Sure that was the reason for his suspension reduction.

Vaguely remember him being injured after the Maia fight but then that might just be me getting my news from sherdog.

Really? Everyone I know who watches mma rips the crap out of GSP for not finishing

Genuine question, didn't he sort of say fair play in the post fight interview? I can't find a link to the fight that works to check but I thought it was after the event he started running his mouth in which case it still fits into the rematch hype. Also not sure what the racist theatrics are? I know he's ripped Brazil a few times but again I can probably find fighters who have insulted their opponents home country. Doesn't Cain's "brown pride" crap fit into this somewhere?

Haha I'm talking about ufc fans as a whole in all this not just you personally. I've got no interest in making you change your mind about fighters since I know its not going to happen.

15. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I actually was cheering for Sonnen in his bout against Silva, but was so glad when Silva tapped him out at the end. Silva is a much nicer guy than Sonnen in person - and I sincerely hope that Silva whips his butt in the rematch, whenever it takes place.

Sonnen is a good MMA fighter, no doubt - but way too arrogant, cocky and disrespectful, even for me. :)

16. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Why? Because he's proud of his heritage? Proud to be a latino? Would you ask that same question if he was a white boy - talking about white pride, instead? Do you feel the same way about African/Americans when they talk about black pride? Are you not proud of who you are? Why shouldn't others, different than yourself, be just as proud of who they are? Because they're not white, like you? R A C I S T !!!

17. Southpaw535

Yeeeeah because I'm clearly a racist :rolleyes:

We do rip people for claiming white pride and I guarantee it'd get a worse response than black or brown pride. But no I'm not proud of being white because it has no bearing on me whatsoever. My sexuality or my nationality has a lot more to do with me as a person than the colour of your skin does. I hate it because it makes race an issue. To me its one of the least important aspects of who a person is yet because of all the past persecution non white groups, especially in America it seems, do this whole "*blank* pride!!" thing and it just shoves the fact we're different colours right back into the open. In my mind it aggravates the fact we're different and reinforces the idea that its something important and worthy of note when really it means nothing all.

edit: I would go further into the whole calling me a racist thing but I just got back from training and really can't be bothered to write a tirade. The summary would be this: Don't jump to such stupidly blind judgements about who I am. I have no idea how you made the jump from "he doesn't like the brown pride idea" to "Oh my god he hates it because its not white!!" but its one of the biggest logic fails I've seen in a long time and this is the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2011
  18. february

february Valued Member

Is there anything worse than grown folks playing the race card? :bang:

19. Mushroom

Ryo Chonan tapped out Silva with a beautiful flying heel hook. Afterwards he stated his ankle was broken pre-fight.
    He hasnt been calling out for a rematch as I think he knows that at the moment, Chonan cant get back into the UFC and string enough wins together.

OK lets all calm down about calling people Racist. Cain's tattoo was a bit contraversial, he claims that (according to recent interviews with Fighters Only) that the tattoo is actually in respect of his Father rather than on his cultural heritage.
    It is however a bit strange but its his body.

20. Southpaw535

Am I allowed to disagree? Ignoring that I'm pretty curious what explanation CP can give for his logic I think its potentially an interesting topic. Break off for a new thread maybe?