ADCC 2011- Leglocks Galore!

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by callsignfuzzy, Oct 3, 2011.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

While I didn't pony up the money to watch the event, I've read the results and a few play-by-plays. One of the most notable things about this year's tournament was that many of the finishes came by way of leg lock. One report I saw had nine wins by heel hook, making it the most prominent submission at the event.

What are your thoughts on this? My first grappling art was Catch/Shoot wrestling so I've always been accustomed to leg locks, but the IBJJF places restrictions on them at the lower levels. Do the results of this event indicate that leg locks are becoming more practiced in the BJJ/grappling community, or do you think this was a fluke event? Will it change your training approach to leg locks at all?

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Three people hobbled of the mats because of heel hooks. At first they don't hurt, then they are broken. :/

3. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Just an idea but leg locks are pretty useful in bjj. You can only use them once you reach higher belts so maybe its a case of people not being as used to them, or because they never had to worry about them at the lower belts they developed bad habits? Don't use them at my club and there's a few positions and techniques people are fond of doing that are open to leg attacks if I wanted.

4. callsignfuzzy

My understanding was that in some cases that was a stubborn choice to not tap. World-class competitors, regardless of pride, should know when they're caught in something.

I've been using heel hooks forever but have never injured anyone with them.

5. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Couple mates went to ADCC and one of thme mentioned the pride thing. I get if you're a high level competitor you have a reputation but I never understood the point of putting yourself out of training for months. You look more like a **** for that than you would for getting caught and tapping out

6. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

It's stubbornness thanks to a ton of different ideas about leglocks being poor, gimmicky or not actually able to injure you.

Never had an injury in the gym from leglockery but every tournament we go to sees someone jacked up because they didn't want to tap to a leglock.

On top of that, lots of people have passing games built in isolation from leglocks and it shows.

As for heel hooks, there's no excuse for not knowing the dangers early. Botched throws, sweeps, flying scissors, americanas, hiplocks, knee kimuras, and toeholds are all capable of causing injury before pain. No competent grappler should be tapping to pain instead of pressure.

7. february

february Valued Member

Was a great event. I mentioned this on another thread (ADCC 2011 being the year of the leglock). I think the prevalence of things like 50/50 guard is opening up options and bringing it back in vogue. That and the fact Toquinho was competing - that guy eats legs for breakfast.

8. Devil Hanzo

Devil Hanzo Doesn't tap to heel-hooks

It was probably the most common submission because people are quicker to tap to it when they might scramble harder to escape from other subs.

9. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

It's just the heel hooks that are angerous IMO. They don't feel sore, just a lot of pressure and uncomfortableness (is that a word?), then SNAP goes your ankle.

10. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

^^^^ this.... key point. Read up people.

11. callsignfuzzy

Actually the heel hook most often affects the ligaments in the knee. And again, especially at the highest levels, an experienced grappler should know when they're caught. Shoot, I hardly ever feel pain from hinge joint locks (elbows and knees) until we're in injury territory, but I'm experienced enough to go, "Well, that's about as far as my elbow will go in that direction". As I said, I've been using heel hooks for years and have never injured someone with them. Or had someone injured with them under my training. I think shoulder locks would be right on par with that "nothing is wrong until something is really wrong" feeling, based on my experience and observation. Because they can literally cripple you, I can see why heel hooks and leg locks in general would be considered "more dangerous" but just slightly. As long as you're not a jerk and don't slam them on, and that goes for any sub, they're safe to train with.

And to pimp my writing a little bit, here's an article I did on the heel hook:

http://sportsnickel.com/2011/01/26/state-of-the-art-the-heel-hook/

12. mattt

mattt Valued Member

Yeah I am with you on that - its the ACL that can be seriously affected by that I believe?

Of course, nothing wrong with snapping an ankle or two FTW :)