Is KSW turning into a sissy art?

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by MACA, Sep 23, 2011.

1. MACA

MACA Valued Member

I grew up learning a very tough and aggressive KSW, something with a very Steven Seagal attitude (consider it more like a very martial outlook on the art), and from what I am able to observe in the net the art has evolved into something more.............hmmmmmmmmmm should I say spiritual, family oriented?

How do you guys feel about that?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2011
  2. elliotmurphy

elliotmurphy Valued Member

i dont know, im too tall to have a steven segal attitude, lol...

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I don’t see anything "sissy" about dedication to family or spirituality.

4. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Would you like to come to a class with KJN Don MacKenzie?

5. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I don’t believe I know the gentleman. If I am not mistaken I think he teaches in the UK? I don’t see why I wouldn't. I always look forward to exchanging ideas with different KMA folks. What brought this up?

6. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

I meant to direct my post to the question in the OP, and hopefully by that you will know what I mean ;)

Let it never be said that we don't work hard.

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Ooops! Thought you were directing your question to me instead of the OP. :p

8. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

Had a talk with my teacher about this the other day and he said it was just the fashion of the time, not something that will last forever. If we teach young ones to be neo-Confucian in nature, naturally we have to teach them to be able to defend themselves in this world of ours. Law suits just changed the way we teach, and I fear it is to the detriment of our art.

9. bluecoatguy1983

bluecoatguy1983 Valued Member

That is one of the issues that concerned me about Kuk Sool Won. I don't mind if the person practicing their techniques is a little hard on me. When we spar with gear they still tell us to do light contact. We sign waivers for a reason. That's what I liked about the Krav Maga class, the full contact. One thing that I was told in the police academy was you better learn how to take a punch. I've never forgotten those words.

10. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Indeed. Today, for example, I was holding a body shield for kicking practice when someone kicked particularly hard and I made a bit of an "oof"; they apologised! They apologised for kicking well! Getting a bit battered is all part of conditioning.

The only time I think an apology is required is when someone gets hit in the delicates.

11. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Too tall!? Isn't Segal 6'5" in his socks? And by the look of him lately, weighing about 350lbs too!

12. elliotmurphy

oooh...and apparently he is an leo also...so i guess steven segal say aikido is the right answer for leo's, lmao

13. MACA

MACA Valued Member

My question arises a little from what Hannibal posted in a previous thread where he believed from what he can see in the web, that KSW was not a "good art" for LEO. And well, if I only look at what you can find after a short google search, he seems to be right. I still believe that KSW is a great art, love the spirituality. No probs against teaching kids (I started when I was like 6). but still............

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It is not the art per se but the methodology. I have issues with a lot of JKD practice that you would not believe!

I have no style bias as such - but I do have a training bias; Realistic and pressure tested or don't bother. This is why I would, on the whole, take BJJ/Judo/CACC as a controlling system over most others. They are proven and battle tested beyond a shadow of a doubt and puts themselves out there to this day. Most other systems don't

Note this is peculiar to my pesonal paradigm and needs; others have different requirements.

I am ambivalent about spirituality in MA's - I have secular teachers for that type fo thing that exceed any amount of pseudo-zen found in most systems

Last edited: Sep 24, 2011
  15. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

I don't like "family" oriented martial art when it becomes point sparring, no hurting, no sweating, no pain, bull s**t. The Kuk Sool I group up with was painful. My black belt test, just for 1st Dahn, was 6 hours long and we did everything from run 2 miles bare foot, throw well over a few thousand kicks, etc. Today...half hour or 45 minutes for color belt testing and a couple hours for black belts. What can you do? Teach it the way it was taught and don't compromise!

Frank colwell likes this.
  16. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Steven Segal makes cool movies, and no matter what approach he takes, he doesn't practice against fully resisting opponents.

17. Pugil

Pugil Seeker of truth

Take them up with this guy, or Rick Young in Edinburgh then!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBTM6_l-Gdk"]Tommy Carruthers Jeet Kune Do - YouTube[/ame]

18. Hannibal

Errrr....you do know I am a JKD Full Instructor right?

19. elliotmurphy

i kind of feel as far as pressure testing goes hannibal that ksw is a great art. ultimately how you use what you learn in any real altercation is not just a product of your training but also your imagination and mental state. sad to say but some people fail at any art becuase they need someone else to take them by the hand and say this is how you do it, and only do it this way becuase i say so, and then restrict them further by not developing their intuition and spontaneous reaction during sparring, which is even further damaged by the practice of point sparring and protective equipment. but this varies from instructor to instructor and from school to school so you cant really say well the whole art is like this...

20. Hannibal

I tend to reserve judgement on what I have not experienced - unless it is glaringly bad. The KSW I have seen leaves me feeling "meh". It is just another art, no better or worse than that.

If your dojang/kwoon/whatever pushes you then good on them...it is all about the pressure. But for me I do not see anything that is not better served elsewhere. Note that is my paradigm and my taste only - not an indictment of anyone or any style.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2011