Yours, Ours or Theirs...which Generals Uniforms do you like???

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Ki_Power, Sep 20, 2011.

?

Which Generals Uniforms do you like?

1. Kuk Sool Won Generals Uniforms are my favorite!

31.8%
  2. Kuk Sool of California & Kuk Sool of San Diego Generals Uniforms are my choice!

4.5%
  3. I never liked the Generals Uniforms!!!

45.5%
  4. I haven no opinion...

18.2%
  1. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

I have always liked the generals uniforms...but I always thought the "armor plates", or the "panels" were too short on the KSW Generals Uniforms.

When I had ours made for Kuk Sool of California and Kuk Sool of San Diego, I looked at some historical photos of Field Soldiers and Horse Soldiers from the different periods in Korea. I simply came up with the idea that the "panels", which many times provided a protective "armor", while on horseback, were simply too short to represent the real deal back in the day. Plus, I didn't like the lack of recognition for some ranks...(colors or stripes - or lack thereof). Of course today KSW has the new dickies or neck scarfs that are different for each rank, but I wanted something that was a little more "identifiable"...especially for a foot Soldier looking over at another soldier on horseback. Hence, the rank is more clearly displayed on the panels, rather that the throat piece or neck scarf.

Below are representations of each rank - to include a different color scheme for women 1st and 2nd degree...followed by some photos. These are specific to Kuk Sool of California and Kuk Sool of San Diego. You will see in the group photo, the difference between the KSW and the KSCA/KSSD Generals Uniforms. What you see on the "waist-band" is what is on the top portion of the uniform.

Take a look, and cast your vote...leave your comments, good or bad so we can discuss, debate, agree, argue or fight about what looks best! :p

1st & 2nd Degree - Men
    [​IMG]

3rd Degree
    [​IMG]

4th Degree
    [​IMG]

5th Degree
    [​IMG]

6th Degree
    [​IMG]

7th Degree
    [​IMG]

8th Degree
    [​IMG]

9th Degree
    [​IMG]

1st & Second Degree Women
    [​IMG]

Actual Photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Uniform back
    [​IMG]

**Of course I would love to see pics of what your school has - so post them up!

Thanks for viewing! :)

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  2. unknown-KJN

unknown-KJN Banned Banned

Even though I voted "never liked the general's uniform" I have to say that between the ones worn by KSoC & KSSD vs. KSW/WKSA, I would choose those worn by the CA group. :cool:

3. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I like the custom general's uniform provided by Hanminjok out of Seoul. I must give a thumbs up for Chief Master White's uniforms as well!

4. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

I like the general uniforms, however the panels get in the way periodically when demoing in them. I like the WKSA one in particular because the are more basic in design, I think the one from KSoC & KSSD are too busy for my taste, but that's just me, I'm a simple guy. I do like that you are changing them up to distinguish yourselves from WKSA. I guess I've never seen the ones from Hanminjok do you have any pic's you can post?

5. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Not too much of a fan of General's uniforms, though some of the Masters' ones look alright. The pink for women is bloody 'orrible though, not to mention regressively sexist!

Since most of us will never be in any armed forces, why should there be a distinction between uniforms? A good student should know who his ranking superiors are anyway.

6. Xanth

Xanth Valued Member

Overall, I like your design changes from the KSW style. If the point was to differentiate the ranks, why skip 2nd degree ? For as much as you have to learn to obtain it, shouldn't it have a distincive strip as well? I don't like the female distinction being made at the 1&2 deg either. I'm sure there are alot of women who like pink, however I know for a fact that not all do and I really don't see the need to seperate the women from the men who trained, I'm assuming, equally as hard and took the same test as the men.

7. unknown-KJN

Hi, wee-gee.

It's statements like this:
    - that make me wonder if you truly understand what TKMA is all about. :thinking:

8. unknown-KJN

Hi, Xanth. Same thought crossed my mind too.

I know you were addressing the OP, but one reason for making 1st & 2nd dan uniforms the same is so that people who don't fall head over heels in love with MA training would not be required to obtain yet ANOTHER costly outfit. As for the *pink for ladies* argument, you got my vote there as well (I was on my way out the door when I initially responded, and didn't notice that distinction in the first post.)

9. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

Pink for women? Really? I mean, really?

10. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

I wonder how I would look in a pink trimmed generals uniform? Lol

11. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

I like what Chong Kwahn Jahng Nim White has on (the gold one) is awsome but as for the others...sorry....not a fan. I think 4th Dahn looks strange. I am a fan of what Chong Je Nim Lee from Mu Sool Won is doing: 1st 2nd SILVER, 3rd 4th SILVER/RED, 5th 6th, RED, 7th 8th RED GOLD, 9th GOLD. It is spaced out very nice and goes by two's till 9th Dahn.

I never understood why 1st, 2nd, and 3rd had silver while only the 4th Dahn had silver/red...maybe it is because they are so close to master, but during my 3rd Dahn promotion they told everyone that "3rd Dahn is the beginning of the master training and the student recieves the wider belt signifying his new rank"....which I think is a load since the Generals uniform is only worn for special events and I put much more stock on whose behind the uniform in question. I wear mine once every two months and I don't do demos (unless it's for an anniversary party or it's necessary).

12. Convergencezone

Convergencezone Valued Member

I think I am not alone when I say that I encourage you to post a picture. :)

13. unknown-KJN

Ah, grasshopper (er, I mean Duelist), you not paying attention to my lessons... go sweep patio as punishment, chop-chop!

I actually realize I may have posted this info BEFORE you decided to join MAP, so hopefully you enjoyed my satire (above) based on the Kung-Fu TV series, as much as I enjoyed posting it (hehe). But the whole idea of straying away from the ORIGINAL color scheme for the general's uniform (silver=instructor, red=master, gold=leadership positions), revolved around setting the *heir to the throne* in a separate category. When the silver/red colors were instituted for 4th dans, the only ones outside of Korea were Sung Jin Su, Marlin Sims, Jay Lee, & Rudy Timmerman. Both Lee & Timmerman were gone within a few years after getting 6th dan from WKSA, but this *group of 4* were never all that close despite being thrust together into the same "graduating class."

Gold/red stripes for 7th dan & 8th dan were adopted when Sung Jin Su reached 7th dan. And don't you find it odd that demarcating 7th dan from 8th dan (via the scarf/dickey) wasn't instituted until Sung Jin Su was an 8th dan? Coincidence? I think not. I mean, why weren't these demarcations done when the Harmons were 7th & 8th dans? :rolleyes:

14. weeginger

weeginger Valued Member

Enlighten me, Unk, since the only member of WKSA who I have met who has had military experience is KJN Ian Cameron. I think there may have been an ex-policeman at one point as well. Still, the vast majority of WKSA students I know are people who study it as part of an entirely civilian life.

I do understand the military history of KSW, so far as was described by KSN IHS, but is that really what we study now?

15. Hyeongsa

Hyeongsa The Duelist

WEEGINGER: I teach Kuk Sool has a complete combat art. Eye gouges, groin shots, knife fighting, the works. I even have a combat veteran Marine who trains at my school (and has trained/tried out the local "competition") and finds that my school is very combat realistic (not to blow my own horn). I have said this thousands of times....IT'S HOW YOU TEACH IT!!!!

16. unknown-KJN

Sorry, wee-gee, I didn't mean to sound so condescending. But if you focus on the "traditional" aspect of TMA, you shouldn't ignore the military connections. That's all I meant. It might even go double for TKMA (those Koreans can be mighty obstinate - LOL).

We do study a boatload of military weaponry, albeit ancient & outdated. So there's one connection to our military background. Rank hierarchy is another. Need I go on?

17. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Many KSW Instructors served in the military,

Cheif Master In Joo Suh, Master Barry Harmon, Jay Lee, KJN Jolly and at least three of his students, and many many more, Not to mention the fact that Master Sims taught KSW at the Military Academy at West Point, Major Tim Challens.

I'm not sure what your point is, however if you didn't know this already you must be training in a box somewhere.

18. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

How is that sexist? When woman KSW Masters and Women HGD Masters give demos in Korea, wearing flowing flowery attire, make-up and furs...does that fall into the same category?

19. unknown-KJN

Nope, not a box. But then, Scotland does come pretty close to "training in a box" as far as being isolated from the rest of the modern world (ROFL). :banana:

EDIT:

Why mention Jay Lee [that old has-been, LOL], if you aren't gonna use his MA title like you did everyone else? Seems like you think less of him than the rest in your list. :dunno:

And HOW on earth could you overlook GM Larry White as being a kuk-sool guy who's served in the military, seeing as how his student started this thread (the OP is another USMC veteran, in addition to Jay Lee). KJN Jerry Sallee is another high-ranking KSW person who can claim previous military status (just in case you needed help with KSW masters who fit the bill YET haven't left the WKSA fold).

20. Ki_Power

Ki_Power Banned Banned

Uhh...yeah. Same as the pink silk and furs that KSW Woman Master wear in Korea...

Besides, the women are tough down here...and if they want a little extra or different color on the uniform they earn, why not?