Shoot fighting

Discussion in 'MMA' started by murphyg, Feb 12, 2004.

1. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

hi
    does anyone here do shoot fighting? if you do what does it include?
    cheers

2. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Close to MMA type stuff now

Its like Kickboxing and Wrestling. It did well in MMA - check out Ken Shamrock and Bart Vale as well on the nett they should give you an idea.

Very simple and VERY effective.

3. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

Ken Shamrock first made the name popular and kind of meant it as a generic term for MMA. Then Bart Vale trademarked it.

So Shootfighting is Bart Vale's organization.

But yes, Kickboxing + Wrestling / Jujitsu.

4. murphyg

murphyg Valued Member

kl thanks fir ure help

5. Adam

Adam New Member

What's the difference between MMA and shootfighting? No punches on the floor, any other differences?

6. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

"Shoot" fighting is a reference to a stiff, non-fixed pro-wrestling match. In the early days of professional catch-as-catch-can wrestling, fixed matches were referred to as "works", real fights as "shoots". The term is still used today, but found its way into the lexicon of mixed martial arts through Japan's Pancrase and Shooto organizations, who ran both real and fixed matches alongside eachother on their cards.

Shootfighting just simply means "real" fighting. It doesn't refer to the style used so much as the format it is used under.

7. Adam

Adam New Member

Aha. I thought it was referring to the shoot takedown. I learn something off MAP every day :)

8. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

More useless grappling knowledge:

In collegiate wrestling, the takedown is referred to as a "shot", not a shoot. My wrestling buddies used to always rip my head off for calling it a shoot.

Depends upon the context, I say.

9. Grifter

Grifter Edited by White Wizard

Do they teach clinching, knees,and/or elbows??

I know elbows arent allowed in comps but I was wondering if they teach them at all. And I didnt see anything about knees.

Another question...Are schools that teach shootboxing pretty rare?? I dont remember ever seeing any in my area and there a wide variety of MA aorund here. So I was just curious because this seems like a style Id like.

10. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

The shootfighting instructor I knew taught knees and elbows.

Basically Shootfighting is MMA. It is Bart Vale's organization. Shootbox is Frank Shamrocks promotion.

Basically they are all the same thing under different names.