clinching

Discussion in 'Thai Boxing' started by chip, Feb 11, 2004.

1. chip

chip New Member

could anyone help me understand the pro's and con's of the various clinches, (i.e., standard clinch, double overhooks, double underhooks, one over and one under)?

2. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Way too broad of a question....

Each clinch technique has its time and place. I use different terminology, but the positions are the same.

Head/Neck Control Position: This is the infamous head trap, and quite frankly is the SUPERIOR clinch position. Anyone caught in this position is in for a bad day. Period.

Body Control Position: If I have my wrestling/jujutsu terminology correct, this is what I believe is called "underhooks". Basically you wrap your arms around your opponents body underneath his arms. This is also a strong position if you are unable to get the full head/neck control. It comes into play when someone beats you upstairs, or is taller. Its also a good way to setup knee strikes to wreck someones legs.

Head/Arm Control Position: One hand around the back of your opponents head, the other controling his arm. This position is essentially used to setup transitioning to the other clinch positions. In this position, neither opponent has the clear advantage. But, this is probably the most important position to learn!!!! Most clinchwork techniques are executed or setup from this position.

Head/Body Control Position: One hand around the back of opponents head, while you "stiff-arm" your opponent with the other hand in either the torso or hip. This is also a transitionary position which has its time and place. The stiff arm prevents your opponent from being able to properly thrust with his hips for effective strikes of ANY kind, especially knees which are the chief weapon from the clinch.

Double-Arm Trap Control Position: "Overhooks"? Again, not sure if my terminology is correct, but I'm thinking of where an opponent attempts the Body Control Position, and you counter by performing a double guillotine trap of his arms so that you can break your hips backwards to fire lowline straight knees into his legs and hips to wreck his base.

Each position mentioned is important to learn. You have to be able to transition smoothly between these positions as your circumstances dictate. In all honesty when I have fought I have only used the Head/Neck Control, the Body Control, and the Head/Arm Control Positions. These three positions are the bread and butter of your Muay Thai clinching arsenal, and chances are will be all you see 80% of the time. But you have to know how to respond with or against the remaining positions.

Brooks (Khun Kao)

3. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

Khunkao:

Can you please explain how someone would close the gap in the first place to get to a good clinch position. Any tips and tricks for swimming through the other person's defenses? Entry methods?
    For instance sometimes I see a person sliding in with one leg first, securing head and arm control and then firing rear knees.

4. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

There are lots of ways to enter the clinch, obviously... but I think in reality it boils down more to what kind of a fighter you are and what you are trying to accomplish.

For instance, I *usually* initiate the clinch by Boxing. Two of my favorite boxing entries are to punch totally through (PAST) your opponents head with your Jab to hook his shoulder or neck, then step in and deliver a knee strike on the same side. Or, throw a looping hook around the back of his head. The punch still connects, but not with the side of the head. It connects slightly behind the head as you scoop your opponents head forward into your clinch.

An alternative would be to initiate the clinch off of your opponents offensive boxing. Slip to the outside of a punch and throw a knee. For instance, if your opponent throws his right hand, you slip to your left and simultaneously lift your right knee into him. You don't need to throw the knee very hard because your opponent has forward momentum carrying him into your knee from his punch. Another option would be to trap your opponents punch and deliver a knee. Again, your opponent throws his right hand, which you trap. This time you lean towards your right to deliver a left knee into his exposed ribs.

You can also initiate a clinch off of a leg trap. Lets say you trap your opponents right roundhouse kick with your left arm. You then reach your right hand to hook onto his right shoulder to pull him forward & over your knee to deliver your right knee strike.

I have also seen (and used!) the method of simply stepping in and grabbing your opponent. This is an inherently risky move though, because all your opponent has to do is take a 1/2 step back and then light you up!

Khun Kao

5. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

6. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

NICE! Lots of helpful tips and information

7. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

HI Khun Kao!

I read your very detailed ways of clinching, I think they sound very effective! I am looking forward to trying them out tomorrow! I'll let you know how it goes!

Thanks Alot!

8. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Cool! I can't wait to hear how it goes! I hope it helps!

9. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Khun Kao!

That is some seriously awesome advice!!!! I tried it and I LOVED IT!!! :love:

I am so happy!!! Like I have a new toy!! I love moving in on the clinch past the punch!!!!!!!!!!! Very impressive! Then it really distributes your weight beautifully, to knee!! The contact was like CRASH!!!
    Yi hah! Cowboy :woo:

I was loving it!

Thank you so much for this I can't wait to try some more of the stuff tomorrow and Saturday!

I am really impressed! Thanks Again! :D

:Angel:

10. nicolo

nicolo Valued Member

wow, i can't believe ur so happy about the clinch. For me it's like, pain pain pain. Tell me what you did exactly.

11. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

Wow! I'm really glad my advice helped. Its really hard to tell if you're getting your points across adequately in "text only" format. I wish I had pics of each step in many of these techniques to post. It would make SO MUCH MORE SENSE!!! LOL....

Well, keep us posted on how its working out for you. If you find that you have additional questions, let us know. I'll *try* to assist....

12. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Nicolo!

I LOVE clinching! I don't know why, but it's my favorite thing to do!!! Yes it is pain inflicting, but I really like it! I actually just slipped past the jab, moved in a little forward simultaneously and wrapped my right hand around the neck, aggressively and moving fairly quickly and then BANG I followed up with the knee. :D

13. BangkokBabay

BangkokBabay New Member

Hi Khun Kao!

Thank you so much! I greatly appreciate your advice! Of course I went through this a few times first! Once it stuck it's great! I will definitley follow up with you as I go along! Thanks Again! :Angel:

14. Khun Kao

Khun Kao Valued Member

"I LOVE clinching! I don't know why, but it's my favorite thing to do!!! Yes it is pain inflicting, but I really like it!"

Clinching is my favorite part of Muay Thai fighting as well. LOL at the comment above re: pain inflicting. That is what makes clinchwork so much fun! Inflicting pain! On others! LOL