A letter to Chris Kent from PFS

Discussion in 'Jeet Kune Do' started by Hannibal, Aug 7, 2011.

1. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

As you know, generally I stay as Apolitical as I can. However, a certain individual has insulted my art, my Sifu, my friend and my Organisation.

Here is the link to this *ahem* "Gentlemans" article

http://www.brucelee.com/site/blog/bruce-lees-jeet-kune-do-a-discussion/

Mr Chris Kent, you ran your mouth and wrote a cheque with your body so here is your receipt courtesy of PFS - hope your ass can cash it!

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Wait...wait...seriously?

A guy wrote an article about his opinion on what JKD is and you were so offended by it that you are advocating a violent response against the author?

I mean, seriously?

What was so offensive about the article anyway? It seemed pretty standard MA talk to me.

Seems the JKD community has been taking drama lessons from the Ninjustsu sub-forum.

3. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

Um, what?

Am I understanding this right?

This Chris Kent guy wrote an article on his website saying that JKD isn't the same as MMA.

Some other guy from "PFS" disagrees with the article so is going to send some guys round to beat him up? :confused:

Sounds a bit odd to me. Couldn't "PFS" just write their own article or something?

Is there more to this than meets the eye, or are these "PFS" guys overreacting massively to some "internet serious business"?

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yay gym invasion! Can we sign up?

5. holyheadjch

From all appearances, Thomas Cruse is one of the most senior JKD instructors in the world - is that right?

If that is the case then it is particularly shocking that he would make such remarks - surely if instructors under his authority are threatening to assault anyone, let alone another JKD instructor, he should be spending his time bringing his people to heel, not sending inflammatory communications that seem to encourage such thuggery.

6. Hannibal

It is a long story and there is a lot more to it - Chris and Vu were close and a lot has to do with Vu and his loyalty to Dan. Chris was always seen as a friend by Vu

This is a case of the final straw in something that has been brewing for a while...it is emotive but something that has just erupted.

PFS has had lots of disagreements with other schools, but it has never been a problem because there was no personal loyalty - as you can tell this one hurt a lot and the response reflects that

7. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

You have insulted me and you have insulted a Shaolin temple....... :rolleyes:

Hannibal, I am not in any way involved with JKD so don't get me wrong, but isn't this the equivalent of threatening someone and thus become a legal offense... might seem pretty much OTT to the US equivalent to the CPS eh?

LFD

Last edited: Aug 7, 2011
  8. Hannibal

It is more along the lines of "Put up or shut up"

I am relaying it for two reasons

1) I do actually feel quite insulted when you say what I am passing on is not JKD
    2) It is of interest to the MA community as a whole

I would prefer to do this in a face to face exchange but as Kent chose to go online and rant without talking someone who was supposed to be a friend then this is a reply in kind from the org.

PFS for years has tested what we have done to ensure it remains cutting edge - Kent chose to live on the corpse of a trailblazer

9. holyheadjch

No, it is more along the lines of 'People are going to show up at your house in the middle of the night to do you harm. Serves you right.'

Dude, I don't care how badly Kent has dishonoured your lineage with his actions, this is no different to how gangs of kids go round bashing each other for showing disrespekt.

Kinda pathetic.

10. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I have to agree.

JKD is becoming the new ninjutsu, glad I'm out of it to be honest.

Dishounoured - sounds like fuedal Japn.

11. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Wow, well I guess anyone who puts a movie star as their paragon is expected to act like a drama queen. Funny though couldn't imagine seeing Tommy Carruthers acting like this bunch.

The Bear.

12. robin101

robin101 Working the always shift.

either sever your ties and never speak or communicate again, or rent a ring and sell ticket and go one on one, id watch that. JKD anything goes brawl.

13. Ular Sawa

Ular Sawa Valued Member

Politics, opinions and egos once again clash in the world of martial arts. Some arts seem to unfortunately lower themselves & fall prey to this kind of silliness.

One party threatens to go over and bitch slap the "offending" party who is old enough to qualify for an AARP membership. Not exactly a poster child for the premise that martial artists learn respect, maturity, or dignity...

14. Hannibal

My understanding is they were told that this was not a good idea but it was left in the letter to show how much he upset them.

Re-reading it there is a qualifier missing there...that would have certainly lowered some eyebrows

The article itself specifically mentions Vu without mentioning him - in itself strange as if you are going to mention someone just go all out rather than hide behind innuendo.

Kent has stated often recently he is a "true" JKD guy and he has the real stuff - again, not an issue as there are many before that have done so (Poteet, Wong, DeMille etc) without it getting to a level of a throwdown.

The personal conflict here is what has made this one explode so badly (and unfortunately it was me that brought the article to the attention of the org so I have a personal hand in starting this ball rolling). How this will play out time will tell, but I anticipate some back and forth before Kent drifts away again.

It is a bit of a sledgehammer to a moth situation and hopefully can be resolved with a well thought out response before things have to go gong sau

15. Hannibal

He was backed down by Rick Young for doing something similar.

Tommy also has a habit of denegrating former friends and instructors - ask Bob Bremer

As I said, JKD politics is a minefield and if this was just another lineage war then it would stay that way.

This one is like coming home to find your friend in bed with your wife only to have him turn around and say she is a crap shag

16. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Kent might kick ****,that would be fun lol.

Actually thinking about it they all would probably intercept each other and it would be a draw:)

17. Hannibal

Like hadoukens cancelling each other out you mean? It's a thought....

18. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

LOL Exactly Hanibal:)

19. Con-Joe

Con-Joe New Member

Kris Kent

Im going to keep this short and to the point, Kris kent you're a person acting hard like a person, you started war with the wrong people and within the next 72 hours Im going personally make you famous, as I beat the dents from your car for the whole world to see.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011
  20. holyheadjch

Thanks for that, anony-mouse

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2011