Difference between training and practice

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Rebel Wado, Jul 20, 2011.

1. Rebel Wado

Rebel Wado Valued Member

Something Ratty posted in another thread got me thinking about training and practice. I know this topic was something that came up years ago (Koyo used to talk about it) but I don't recall anything more recent on the topic.

To sum up the issue, many martial artists do not know the difference between practice and training.

Practice can be described as developing fundaments and structure. Practice is also the perfection of technique or body mechanics. Practice is necessary for getting better at doing things. Taking the mentality of practice into sparring could equate to testing out your skill and "winning or losing".

Training, on the other hand, is about preparing for something. You may be training for your next cage match, next point tournament, or for the street. Training is doing what you must to be prepared. Taking the mentality of training into sparring could equate to no winners or losers, the only thing that counts is that the training helps to prepare you for what would come next.

Both training and practice are important, and there is a lot of potential overlap between the two. However, those that spend a lot of time just practicing at the expense of training, run the risk of being unprepared like a fish out of water when it comes to needing to use those things they practiced. For example, someone that practices a punch can have developed very good technique, but they may be at a disadvantage in a real fight because of lack of experience.

Those that spend a lot of time just training at the expense of practice, run the risk of having weak fundamentals and watered down technique. For example, someone training for point tournaments could dominate the tournament circuit, but they find in an MMA bout that they lack the fundamentals to adapt to full contact fighting.

I'd be interested in hearing other thoughts on the subject.

2. illegalusername

illegalusername Second Angriest Mapper

All i know is that practice turns to training as soon as you play Eye of the Tiger

edit:

Seriously though, good post.

I've always made the distinction between "Training technique" and "Training to apply them" and to me "practice" and "Training" are perfectly fine terms to describe them :)

Last edited: Jul 20, 2011
  3. potlucky10

potlucky10 Valued Member

Rebel,
    I never thought of the separation of the two. I just always considered my time in the studio to be training.
    Perhaps this is a better life style to take when it comes to studying: You can always practice with an open mind and spirit but with no given outcome or expectation. Training is a means to an end a fight or tournament.
    What I like about this mentality is that it is more light hearted and without such expectation it allows you to receive what comes from studying.
    Avian Rebel thank you for an enlightening thread.
    Respect