劍經 Sword Classic - The Principle of “Straight”

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by kyrasym, Jun 1, 2011.

1. kyrasym

kyrasym Valued Member

Based on 劍經, "Sword Classic", an ancient Chinese manual written by Ming-Dynasty General Yu Da-You, I've written an article on a verse from the manual regarding the principle of "Straight".

Blog post: http://www.chineselongsword.com/blog/?p=43

Please let me know what you think! =)

Best regards,
    Jack Chen

2. wu2wu

wu2wu Valued Member

literally, this text is called the "sword classic", unfortunately, it is not a text regarding the art of sword, rather than the art of stick.

Yu was from fujian province in southern part of china, he learned from several masters in south, so, his technique was basically a southern style.

In the local dialect in fujian province, the stick is called as sword, so a long sword is actually a long stick, therefore, the book is talking about the technique of stick as a weapon.absolutely not a real sword you did on your vedio.

this book includes the best pricinple of stick art, as well as the best theayr of kungfu fighting which applies on all kungfu styles, boxing, spear, sword and stick of course.this is my favorite kungfu book, or you can say, this is the only book I read in the field of kungfu.

this book also includes 14 basic skills of stick techniques, it is also a manual of military training on sticks.

Yu visited shaolin temple, and found shaolin's martial art was not as good as they thought,the monks agreed with him and sincerely asked him to be their master. Shaolin temple carefully chose two best worriar monks to follow Yu and learned everything from him, it took almost 10 years to do so. The monks went back shaolin and became the head and the vice head of the worriar monks in the temple and taught the martial art they got from Yu.So, the techniques are much much more than those showed in this book.Becuase the soldiers just needed straightforward and easy-to-learn skills.

Yu's martial art includes 6 forms of sticks, also, 6 forms of real sword(not stick), 6 forms of broad sword (knife), 6 forms of double hookers, 3 forms of spear, 6 forms of special spear, 18 forms of boxing and much much more.

Today, there are still several masters (absolutely, less than 5, and no monks at all) could practice all of them. the two monks' (Zong-qin and PU-cong) were a little bit yonger than the author of 少林棍法述宗. The author of 少林棍法述宗 knew them and saw their marital art but did not get a chance to learn from them.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011