Martial Arts Planet  

Go Back   Martial Arts Planet > Styles > Karate
Supporting Members MAP Shop Banned User List Terms of Service

Closed Thread

Old 24-May-2011, 05:17 PM
鬚また剃った! 口髭はまだ残ってるけど !笑!

Harry Cook Charged With Seven Counts of Sexual Assault

Fellow Mappers,

This is for purely information purposes and not to tar the individual in question.

According to various sources including news articles, Mr. Henry Wilson Cook, (AKA: Harry Cook), noted researcher and author of numerous books on martial arts has been charged on seven counts of sexual assault on a minor from 2006 - 2011. Mr.Cook as reportedly plead guilty to all seven counts. He is on remand in Durham

Hexham Courant News Article

Cook Sent for Sentence

Statement from the Fight Sciences Research Institute

Quote:
We were recently shocked to learn that that our martial arts colleague and friend in the UK, Mr Harry Cook, has been convicted of sexual assault. Whilst we are still struggling to process our personal feelings about the news, we would like to take this opportunity as an organisation to condemn these serious crimes and express our anguish for the victim and her family. Our thoughts are also with Harry’s wife and children, and with the others whose lives and relationships have been affected. The history of martial arts is littered with examples of people who used their mystique as a teacher to exploit their students – criminally or otherwise. Here at FSRI we’ve worked hard to create a culture in which things are different, and we liked to think that the teachers at clubs we associated with were different too. It is with deep anger and sadness that we realise we were wrong about this.
Statement from FRSI

Our Shotokan Studies Forum - Harry Cook Thread

Initial post with certain individual's family names removed.

Quote:
By now you will have all caught the News rushing around the ether - I make a special plea to all OSS members.

At various points on t'internet there is a lot of speculation, Heated discussion, speculation and what is simply 'idle gossip!'.

I am in contact with HC's Family and this situation is proving to be VERY hurtful and painful for them at this horrific time.

Trust me, from personal experience the Press will sensationalize it and 'gossip' will only add to this.

I know that the family have worst to come = the UK press will no doubt sensationalize it and on some sites the speculation and hurtful gossip will continue and also cause unimaginable hurt and stress for the victims - the young person involved and the families and friends of her and HC.

Therefore I suggest we do this - This site, through Dod, Kim and Liam's sterling efforts. has gained a reputation as being a Shotokan Site were you can read valuable stuff, take part in reasoned and informed debate, read articles and interviews and MAKE MANY NEW FRIENDS with a similar passion for Shotokan Karate.

SO; Firstly here are some facts for you -

Harry Cook has been arrested for sexually abusing a young girl - he has admitted guilt and is currently on remand in Durham County Prison, awaiting further investigation and trial . As sad and shocking as it is, this is not a case of a false allegation and a persons right to be considered innocent until proven guilty by fair and thorough judicial process. We have to face up to that sad and tragic reality.

HC is very well known in the Karate world and he enjoyed considerable respect and admiration as a result of his Karate related work and publications. However, he has failed to realise that the attention of a young and vulnerable girl is merely an idealised crush where they don't see the person - they see the man in the Gi whom everyone bows to, they watch in awe as he teaches a class new stuff and they are impressed when despite his grey or balding hair he effortlessly 'plays with' her senior club blackbelts as if they are beginners. All of us whom travel and teach as a Guest Senior Instructor (and many Club Instructors) have experienced it AND THUS it must be treated like a bomb, reported to someone to cover you and assist her and then IT MUST be kept away from or diligently managed and observed!

In spite of friendships with him, prior admiration for him and lingering feelings of 'please let this NOT be true!!' we must face the reality and do all we can to aid the VICTIMS here......

It hurts me deeply BUT due to the fact that Harry has admitted guilt we must not our feelings for him as a friend confuse us and we must be clear about the reality of the damage he has caused - therefore, i respectfully suggest that we all have to be clear in our minds that:

Harry has made a victim out of a child, devastated his family (and hers), his friends and Karate students and colleagues (I have known him for forty years and communicated with him about weekly over the past 2 or 3), he has shattered the myth of the Budo way (enlightenment, character improvement and the defense and protection of vulnerable others) that he voiced constantly and eloquently for several decades. he has destroyed his life's work and the respect thus gained. He has negatively impacted on many around the world especially the child and those closest to her and him. I sincerely hope he gets help in prison but the truth is the truth.

I shall not be hypocritical here - I also was also gutted and ached for it to not be true and have him receive the opportunity to clear himself via due Judicial Process - But alas that is not to be.

So lets make OSS the one site that may have members expressing best wishes to those at the heart of it BUT no gossip, No speculation and no angered or explosive, sensational arguments. In essence let us show patience and due respect and control.

(Name removed) and (Name removed) ( Close and valued friends of HC's family) are, on their behalf, trying to appropriately feed out sound and valid information as and when it is reasoned and right to do so whilst at the same time protecting the family from further Unwarranted stress and concern.
I am in communication with them both and therefore will, on behalf of the OSS Forum, provide you all with valid info when it is right to do so.

In the meantime lets do what the Budo way directs we should do and act with respect and good intent and not contaminate our great forum with gossip and speculation.

I hope you will all follow me in endevouring to do so.

thank you all.
This is I repeat, for information purposes. Please keep the thread responses on topic and sensible.

Thank you for your time.

S.Delaney

清漣館双水執流英国稽古会
Seirenkan Sōsuishi-ryū U.K. Keikokai

荒木流軍用小具足英国稽古会
Araki-ryū Gunyō Kogusoku U.K. Keikokai
Old 02-Jun-2011, 02:02 AM
Valued Member

Steve - the idea that pedophiles invariably are brutalized in prison is not necessarily so. If the pedophile is also weak, strange, or not prison-wise, he will almost surely be victimized. However, those who know how to "act" - and this is the most remarkable talent of the skilled pedophile - can do just fine in the prison setting. What happens is if he "acts like a man," the majority of the other prisoners will readjust their perspective.
I know of lots of cases where the pedophile or even child-murderer prospers in prison. (The best concealment is the ability to scan other people and know exactly how to act so you "disappear" in plain sight).

Personal note:
Having known Cook slightly, I was stunned to read about this. He had been, in my mind, an exemplar of integrity.

His epitaph, in life and someday in death, should read, "He was never a budo man." Because the essence of all we train about is integrity, control of self and morality, and no matter what his other accomplishments in life, rape of a child - rape of anyone, of any age, wipes all that out.

Ellis Amdur
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ellis Amdur For This Useful Post:
Dean Winchester (21-Jun-2011), Kogusoku (04-Jun-2011)
Old 02-Jun-2011, 06:24 AM
Matira Matibay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Amdur View Post
His epitaph, in life and someday in death, should read, "He was never a budo man." Because the essence of all we train about is integrity, control of self and morality, and no matter what his other accomplishments in life, rape of a child - rape of anyone, of any age, wipes all that out.
Ellis Amdur
Well said Ellis. I fully agree. We train to overcome ourselves and our own weaknesses. Clearly decades of training achieve nothing for some people. All of those grades, books and articles now mean nothing.
www.bckeai.co.uk
The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Lewis For This Useful Post:
Zaad (05-Jun-2011)
Old 03-Jun-2011, 04:48 PM
invariably, a moose

Thanked 3,414 Times in 1,479 Posts
OK, I've discussed this with the other moderators and the consensus was to re-open this thread. However, please bear in mind that these are real people we're talking about and show some sensitivity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish of Doom
clearly, to handle chi that is like a wildebeest, you need to employ a postman that is strong like bull.
Old 03-Jun-2011, 06:03 PM
Warriors live forever x

Thanked 3,478 Times in 2,301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
OK, I've discussed this with the other moderators and the consensus was to re-open this thread. However, please bear in mind that these are real people we're talking about and show some sensitivity.
'cos pedophiles have feelings too?
The Following User Says Thank You to Moi For This Useful Post:
Blade96 (12-Jun-2011)
Old 03-Jun-2011, 06:21 PM
The useful kind of doctor

Thanked 3,920 Times in 1,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moi View Post
'cos pedophiles have feelings too?
Perhaps more out of respect for the families and individuals involved, directly or indirectly.

I used to read Harry Cook's articles and his views shaped my approach to Karate to a fair degree. I've trained with Harry Cook. I own a signed copy of one of his books, a very valuable study of Karate history. I've cited his work in my own articles and book. I have a great deal of respect for the contribution he made to English and International Karate for many many years.

The recent events are a shock. I don't know the full specifics of the case. I do not defend or condone his actions, however I feel that a discussion of 'what we should do to paedophiles' is not educative or amusing.
Old 03-Jun-2011, 06:43 PM
Warriors live forever x

Thanked 3,478 Times in 2,301 Posts
Fair enough
The Following User Says Thank You to Moi For This Useful Post:
jwt (03-Jun-2011)
Old 03-Jun-2011, 09:53 PM
Valued Member

Thanked 1,545 Times in 1,109 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosey View Post
Like how he was sensitive towards his victims?

I think he lost his integrity, respect, rights, etc. I think he is now "game"
Old 03-Jun-2011, 11:00 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47MartialMan View Post
Like how he was sensitive towards his victims?

I think he lost his integrity, respect, rights, etc. I think he is now "game"
May be out of place but this tends to be how killing spree's begin.
Old 03-Jun-2011, 11:23 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giacomo View Post
May be out of place but this tends to be how killing spree's begin.
That or lynch mobs
Old 04-Jun-2011, 06:59 AM
Old Cynic

Any update on this, or news of when his next seminar will be....
Old 04-Jun-2011, 01:04 PM
Valued Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 47MartialMan View Post
That or lynch mobs
Was there ever much of a difference?

Same sickening effect, people taking joy in killing other people all the while telling themselves they are "righteous".

"it's ok... just pick up the knife... you're doing the right thing.... those whores deserve it.... you'll see... doesn't that feel good.... yeah..... take that! and that!"
Old 04-Jun-2011, 01:21 PM
onwards and upwards !

Thanked 1,439 Times in 718 Posts
Pitchfork and torch mentalities are never a good idea , Cook has admitted to his crimes and is on remand , his karate career is finished , and his family may disown him.
I think a better use of our time would be to extend our best wishes to his victim at this difficult time.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to bassai For This Useful Post:
Anth (04-Jun-2011), caveman (04-Jun-2011), CosmicFish (04-Jun-2011), Happy Feet Cotton Tail (04-Jun-2011), jwt (04-Jun-2011), Kogusoku (05-Jun-2011), Llamageddon (06-Jun-2011), Moosey (05-Jun-2011), Plimft (10-Aug-2011)
Old 04-Jun-2011, 01:52 PM
Old Cynic

It's not going to end well for him, that's for sure.
Old 04-Jun-2011, 09:07 PM
Valued Member

<not appropriate>

Last edited by Llamageddon; 06-Jun-2011 at 09:50 AM.
Closed Thread