hubud

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by sercuerdasfight, Feb 7, 2004.

1. sercuerdasfight

sercuerdasfight Valued Member

yoda,

doing them drills for 17 years i'm sure you gained something even if you don't see. i'm sure your sparring partners might feel the attribrutes you gained from them. and may the reason you gained so much for the mma clinch in that period of time is becuase of attribrutes those drills gave you.

rob

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Maybe I did gain something - I got VERY good at "playing hubud" that's for sure.

3. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Jimmy Wand-Yu Valued Member

Yoda,

what ist Hubud? Could you provide a link or a short description?
    Thanks.

Jimmy

4. YODA

5. turonaga

turonaga New Member

is the link you attach show your arnis empty hand? sorry but what i see no good. thats the worst arnis backfist drill and elbow strike and blocking i hav seen.

6. Jimmy Wand-Yu

Jimmy Wand-Yu Valued Member

Come on, turonaga, what's the purpose of this comment?

7. YODA

No comment - I merely searched google for a description of hubud for Jimmy.

8. shootodog

shootodog restless native

:D :D :D :D
    :D

i sure hope that you could do better.

9. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

HI,
    What i get out of hubud is the ability to maintain a rhythm in the midst of changes/reversals. I also gain a lot of sensitivity to different pressures. It almost becomes like chi sau if you stick at some points.
    Gord

10. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Hubads are an invaulable early training tool for teaching rythem and getting students used to close quarter contact (something many of us are not used to). And I have employed techniques out of them in the past.

But to Yoda's point (made a long while ago) they also get over used in many training programs. Exprienced practioners should be working with live drills (and once again, Aliveness pops up).

Prehaps the best way to think about Hubads are like "teaching songs" (like the Alphabet song you know "A-b-c-d-e-f-g *pause* hi-j-k-lmnop...ect). They're extremely useful to teach and reinforce basics. But they're lousy if you need them to build words or sentences.

- Matt

11. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

Just wondering...

Why would they call it "Hubad"? Is it because they are empty-handed? "Hubad" literally means naked from the waist up (Pronounced as "hoo-bud [bud as in "Bud Light"], if you want the Filipino term for naked from the waist down, it's "hubo"). What was the origin for the use of that term for the drill? I just find it funny using Hubad as a term for drills. "Walang Hawak" might make more sense IMHO.

Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't Arnis de Mano another term for empty-handed Arnis?

Regards.

Ketong71

12. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Arnis de mano is the full name for arnis. Harness (or armour) of the hand. But it doesn't (in my experience) refer specifically to empty hand. Just the notion of personal combat.

Terms I've heard for empty hand include pangamot, panantukan, and manomano (hand hand).

13. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

I've heard mano-mano for hand to hand in Arnis. Panuntukan makes sense because it literally means "punching", from the Tagalog root word, "Suntok" or punch. But pangamot? Pangamot means "scratching", from the root work "Kamot" or scratch. I didn't know they taught scratching techniques in Arnis. :p I don't believe that pangamot would be a good term for eye-gouging. "Sundot" would be a better term for that.

Sorry to sound picky of the words. I guess just like in Karate where you have your share of Bull-shi-do, FMA has its share of "kabolahan".

Regards,

Ketong71

14. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Don't apologize. This is actually quite interesting. My teachers used the term "mano mano" which is borrowed from Spanish. So I'd always known what that one meant. The others I couldn't explain if my life depended on it.

Stuart

15. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Oops. I mis-spelled that. It should have been "Hubud". My mistake.

- Matt

16. NeilX66

NeilX66 Valued Member

As far as I'm have been able to find out hubud is a contraction of higot hubud lubud, which translated means to tie untie and blend, this is a translation I found on the web as i don't speak any filipino dialects, so apologies in advance if the translation is wrong, but to back this up with personal experience I have trained a couple of times at seminars with filipino instructors and they did call it hubud or hubud lubud and said it meant to tie and untie, all of these instructors are from in and around Cebu, so would a difference in regional dialect confuse the translation :confused:

From my personal practise of it, I think I gained a certain degree of sensitivity / awareness, particularly when doing the drill empty handed, as well as being able to transition from a left lead to a right lead attack for more smoothly than i could before, as well as the realisation that its far harder to get a good grip or lock on somebody that doesn't want to be gripped or locked :D

From a teaching point of view I find that even in its most basic form its a very useful tool to get beginners to relax when training

Neil