Moving to Korea

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Coyote, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Hey guys, help me out. I am moving to Seoul in the beginning of April to teach ESL. While I am there, I will not be able to continue studying the Karate that I currently practice. My Soke has suggested that I try and find a hapkido school or a tang-su do (sp?) school. Does anybody have any idea about any of the schools there? I would like to resume training as quickly as I can once I am in country.

2. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

Do you know what city you'll be working in?
    A good site to ask for specifi information on teaching in Korea (and to ask for specific schools in your town) is www.eslcafe.com/korea

I personally work recommend looking for a good Hapkido school... I found the training really good while I was in Korea (1997-2001). Taekwondo schools in Korea can be good but I think it is nicer to try Hapkido in Korea if only because there really aren't that many Hapkido schools around.

My old advice still stands though: when you get to your workplace, walk around the area and look for some schools. Go in and check them out. When you find one that fits you, join. You may find that there really aren't a lot of TKD schools that teach adults (at least not in the more rural areas)... but Hapkido schools tend to have older students.

Post up any questions you have here and I'll try to answer them (also, try to contact Yang, Dae-han for good information as well... and a bit more current). Check out this thread as well: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8743

3. Coyote

Coyote New Member

Thanks, Thomas. I'll be working for Geondae BCM Language School in Seoul, South Korea. On the plus side, Seoul is HUGE so I don't expect to have too much trouble locating a school. On the minus side, however, I'm pretty unfamiliar with hapkido (a friend of mine in high school once described it as TKD with throws; my soke was a bit more forthcoming, but I'm still pretty in the dark) and very unfamiliar with the Korean language, so I'm worried that I'll have trouble recognizing a GOOD school.

I will try to contact Yang, Dae-han. Again, thanks for your help.

4. Thomas

Thomas Combat Hapkido/Taekwondo

For information on Hapkido, check out the following sites (from some senior members here):
    http://www.eastwesthapkido.com/
    http://www.hapkiyoosool.com/

as well as the excellent article here: http://www.martialartsplanet.com/magazine/articles/hapkido1.htm

Yes, if you are in Seoul, you definately will be in the "big city"... but at least the public transportation and creature comforts are easy to use and find. Again, I would recommend the www.eslcafe.com/korea site and do a search to check out your workplace's repuation and get an idea of what to expect (and bring).

When I got to Korea, I walked around and checked out some schools... without any language background (aside from a few TKD terms). I found instructors who were more than happy to teach me and I really enjoyed it. The first school I started at didn't work out... I got tired of the master not showing up (and having his color belts teach the class) so I went down the road and found another one... excellent school. Let me know if you have any specific questions or concerns about going to Korea... I taught there for 4 years and trained there at the same time... I might be able to point you in the direction of some answers.

5. Kwajman

Kwajman Penguin in paradise....

Hey keep us informed about how things are going. I've worked overseas for several years now and find it very rewarding, tho at times frustrating. Never been to Korea though! Good luck.

6. TigerAnsTKDLove

TigerAnsTKDLove Ex-TKD'er 2005.

YONG-IN UNIVERSITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY MASTER WENT THERE! they have Hap Ki Do! i know that for a dominate fact.

7. imawimp

imawimp New Member

Lived in Seoul area for almost 5 yrs, courtesy of the US Army. I dont see why you wouldnt be able to continue your karate training there - Given that youll be able to acces not only the Korean cmmunity but also the miltitary community (I assume youll be working for the US military - but I could be wrong).

Its not at all unlikely that youll be able to find training in Karate. One thing to look out for if you head out into the Korean community, they arent all glad to see "miguks" in the neighborhood. Its best to get an invite from a local before you head to far frm the gate.

8. Yang Dae-han

Yang Dae-han Realising the 'edit'

Imawimp,

He won't be in the R.O.K. as a part of the US military, but an E-2 visa holder, so getting on base will be out of the question for him (unless he's relatives already stationed there). Also, Geondae is a good 13 stops (one transfer) to Yongsan Base (the only base that'll most likely offer Japanese arts)....and the subway trip alone will be a minimal 30 minutes each way.

As for finding Japanese forms of martial arts? Few and far between. Finding one, especially if you know not the language, will be hard enough, not to mention finding a school with a good master.

Coyote, as imawimp said "Migooks" (Americans) are not exactly welcome in many areas, and yes one should be wary. However, I disagree on the location. I found the areas surrounding US military bases to be more inhospitable to non-Asians, than those that have no contact with the US military. Just don't become the typical ESLer and you'll do fine.

Regarding going to universities such as Yong-in, Korea, Kyoung-hee....I would say forget it. First off, you can't get into the programs due to ability (whether it be physical or language). Also, you wouldn't want to (for a slew of reasons). However, you could attend the clubs on campus....but they are always lame. I know, I've participated in many about the country.

I agree totally with Thomas, in that, you just need to walk about and try out some schools. If I were in Japan, I would rather train under a new art with a great master, than a mediocre one in my primary art.

Luckily, you'll be near Konkuk University (which is the old romanisation of Geon-gook...Geondae is short for Kon-kuk University). If you visit the link Thomas suggested -

http://www.eslcafe.com/forums/korea/index.php

you can possibly find out more info. on the specific area...

I tried to find a lengthy post that I posted, and it would satiate your questions...but no avail. Sorry mate. Succinctly, 99.5% of martial art schools in Korea caters to K-8th grade (and some high school kids...but they are the ones that are not too 'smart' and must rely on getting into a univ. through a sports programme.....so only but a handful are about. Since some college kids need certification (law enforcement majors, ROTC, et cetera) classes will be held at a time that is conducive to you, as well with others close to your age.

Regarding class time, well, you're gonna be teaching at a language school (hakwon) where you'll most likely be teaching split shifts (morning and nights), so this will put a strangle-hold on your choices. Good luck.

Cheers,

DH

9. wingchunner

wingchunner Valued Member

Former AKKer

Coyote:
    I don't know if you'll see this before you go, but...

I recommend you train in some internal martial arts like bagua or even tai chi. It might sound weird to study that in Korea, but hey, China's just right next door.

Marty