HIIT and LSD

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Mitch, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

We get a lot of threads on MAP concerning the debate over High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) vs Long Slow Distance (LSD) training.

I personally have had some great result from HIIT, but I also just like to go for a nice jog by the river here sometimes and look at the world a bit, so I do LSD with the D being usually around 3 or 4 miles.

I don't want this thread to be a slanging match of opposing opinions, but I thought it would be interesting to collect together articles that discuss the debate for MAPers to reference, rather than it being spread over multiple threads.

So, ladies and gentlemen, please post anything that you think illuminates the dabate from either side.

Just to start off, here's one from Sherdog that speaks up for LSD.

Mitch

2. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

MORE long and boring articles? NO thanks!!! lol

All i've got to say is that I've grown to hate LSD jogging. It's so boring, but for LSD i do enjoy the mountain bike or swimming.

3. Mitch

Dude, it's two pages! All those punches to your head have shortened

your

attention

span.

Still with me? :D

Mitch

4. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

I personally think that HIIT and LSD are both important, as they tailor an all round training method.

5. Mitch

Can we now get back to actually posting information rather than opinions so this thread can serve as a resource please?
    :)
    Mitch

6. kowloonboy

kowloonboy Banned Banned

If you don't want opinions, then why don't you just google? I have listed all the resource which might be helpful to you. :)

All members could kept on posting on links for resources. But all the resources are all contain in the below links.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HI...s=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=HI...5f982b3c&hl=en&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official

7. Mitch

Posting a Google Search is not the same as posting a link to something that speaks directly to the question and which the poster thinks is a specific example worthy of discussion.

Mitch

8. righty

righty Valued Member

I've long been confused as to why LSD (I've never called it that) gets a bad rap in comparison to HIIT. They both have advantages and disadvantages of course and I'm sure people can look them up if required. So they should both be part of a structured training plan if that is what you are after.

But if people look around these forums and have a look at a lot of threads that mention the possibility of overtraining there are actually quite a few. Put simply, the main benefit in my mind of LSD is it does not necessarily have the recovery burden seen with activities of a high intensity, including HIIT. Of course if you max out over the time you will, but strangely enough, this isn't mentioned in some articles discussing both methods, so unfortunately I can't guide you to any which just kind of made this post a bit useless for this thread. Sorry.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2011
  9. elephruit

elephruit Wocka wocka!

When I first read this thread, I saw "Hit LSD!" :p Not at all what I thought it was, eh? :D

10. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Hey!!! Not nice =P. I was I'm a rush and I decided to compare an LSD to a long read lol. I will read now and share my input this time :D

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

12. NightSky

NightSky Valued Member

Depends on training goals.

Let's start from a person like regular John. Doing nothing for last xy years and now wants to make something for him and his body. So he decides to take MMA classes.

He is totally out of shape so HIIT is far to hard for him. His first goal is to burn fat and rasie body imunity, so as raise over all shape by litlle.

LSD is simply perfect for it: his body is now weak and puting it on HIIT would probably result even in hurting own body.

By LSD 3-5 times a week per 45-60 minutes he can burn fat, raise the body imunity and raise over all form. After 2-3 months, with reasonable food, results will be visible. Continue doing that for rest of life and later adding 2 times a week a body weight full body exercices like pushups and squats and sure he will be healthy and stay good.

LSD may be bad for ankles if it is just running, so adding bicycle would be good.

But he tries MMA, he want be a litlle more then just healty - fast, explosive, strong, ednurable.

I think this is where HIIT coming. By properly doing HIIT, and being properly prepared for it, can result in increased explosivity, , agility, speed, and even hypertrpophy, which you can't get by LSD, or not in same ammount as you can by HIIT.

LSD and HIIT both have advantages and disadvantages. So as differently phases of training and preparation requires LSD or HIIT.

I think one structured training program should contain both of them in some stages.

For martial arts, what most of us are interested - HIIT would be maybe one of most important training method, if you want to compete in high level..

IMHO

13. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

thought this was about interval training on acid, i see enough colours when doing HIIT as it is!

Will post something acctually helpful when less busy, but icefeild needs an award for that essay.

Also done my SSC (steady state cardio, never heard it called LSD before) this morning, FTR.

14. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Although I got no links sorry Mitch, I will add my 2p sorry Mitch ;)

I never really got on with HIIT. How ever the LSD (although I was never slow) I found worked wonders for me to lose weight, muscle build up all of this was done in the pool 4-8 miles a day for 6 months.

Now if the council hadnt cut the funding I could still access the pool at 5am and not the new opening time of 7am :(

15. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

My view used to be that HIT was always a superior option and should be part of your routine before you even consider LSD. However, now I'm more of the opinion that both are useful tools. In favour of LSD for me is primarily that it's way less taxing on the central nervous system. If you train weights 3 times a week and try to add HIT in on non lifting days it will affect your lifts eventually as you are getting very little rest. Starting an introduction running program like Couch to 5k will allow you to gradually adapt to longer distances, avoiding a lot of issues like overtraining like crazy for the first sessions and injury risk. A lot is observed about how LSD is catabolic due to the physique of distance athletes, however most athletes train slow cardio in addition to other forms of training. Most boxers value roadwork and for good reason, the difference between boxers who train distance is often very apparent in competition. These guys are also doing a lot of other work too and unlike distance athletes a lighter frame is disadvantageous. Most sprinters will train distance but combine it with other forms of work. Sadly there is a propensity for females to exclusively train cardio, however even in sports where muscle mass Is an issue they are less likely to gain mass and far more likely to gain strength and lean muscle. Victoria Pendleton, Olympic cyclist, is a fantastic example of this. If you look at her routine it would put many guys to shame, yet she is far from the muscular ideal many women imagine will befall them if they touch anything more than the pink dumbbells.

Last edited: May 9, 2011
  16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

its never an either or its normally both, the question really is which is best for you given your current level of training, which can you benefit more from, which can you make greater improvements on. A lot of guys training MMA get a lot of interval work in class, pad works rounds etc, how much more do you need, now much more can your body handle?

Another good point is aerobic doeasnt just mean LSD, it can equate to very hard training as Lyles article shows

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

:( What a dissapointment... Here I was thinking I'm about to read a very interesting post about doing HIIT while high on LSD. Now I'm curious. Very Curious.

HIIT ftw btw.

18. d0ugbug

d0ugbug learning to smile

Isnt that how most fights are won!?

19. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Its a bit silly worrying about muscle loss tbh since the amount actually burned is tiny if any.

99% of people either don't have enough muscle to have to worry or can't run far enough for it to be an issue.

If someone was attempting to bulk for aesthetic purpose the they would do well to drop the SSC, then again the should've dropping all cardio.

If muscle waste is a big fear of yours pop some BCAAs before you go.

20. boards

boards Its all in the reflexes!

I'm generally a fan of HIIT over LSD as you get the added benefits of anaerobic and aerobic conditioning. While studies show that training at a lower intensity heart rate is optimal for burning fat, they have also shown that high intensity simply burns more calories overall meaning that you will usually burn more fat overall.
    Studies done on the tabata method have shown that trainers using this method trained 4 times per week, plus another day of steady-state training, and obtained gains similar to a group of athletes who did steady state (70% VO2max) training 5 times per week. The steady state group had a higher VO2max at the end (from 52 to 57 ml/kg/min), but the Tabata group had started lower and gained more overall (from 48 to 55 ml/kg/min). Also, only the Tabata group had gained anaerobic capacity benefits.
    An article in a recent health magazine talked about the training of the Sydney University Rugby Union team that has pretty much given up on standard cardio, focusing on strength and sprints (along side skills training), and letting this build up their cardio. Their recent record in the NSW competition has been brilliant and they are crediting this to their new training program.

Personally speaking, I have recently started doing sprint training with jogging back then sprinting again, combined with some small cardio sessions like 10km bike rides, or using the rowing machine. I first started on straight cardio and gained benifits but when I added sprints into this, I found my cardio gains much higher, I also lost more fat this way. This was after recovery from gall bladder surgery so I was starting basically from scratch, unfortunately I have been off training with the flu leading to pnuemonia for the last month so I have probably lost all of that along side the weight that I lost.:bang: