Dojo floor - but it will have to wait

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by robertmap, Apr 20, 2011.

1. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

I had the foam for my dojo floor delivered today 28ft x 18ft by 1in and I already have the hardboard and mats to put on top... but sadly, laying the floor will have to wait until I get the builder in to insulate the walls and put in a new (and insulated) ceiling - I was hoping to do the floor first but the builder recommends that he does the other work first so that the dirt and damp of plastering don't damage the floor.

I am DESPERATE to get my dojo up and running - outdoor training is fine but there is something special about training in a dojo :)

2. Llamageddon

Llamageddon MAP's weird cousin Supporter

Hope it all goes smoothly for you!

3. Osu,

I understand your impatience and frustration Robertmap, but great things are worth waiting for... :)
    In the meantime, have you got pics you'd like to share?

Osu!

4. ScottUK

ScottUK More human than human...

Robert, is the foam baselayer continuous or are you going for spaced foam blocks?

(we're just designing our floor construction as we speak...)

5. thauma

thauma Valued Member

better to be patient and take the builders advice so that it will go smoothly rather than 'mouldy'. :eek:

However I do understand the excitement:D

6. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'ScottUK',

The floor is concrete on which I am laying 1 inch foam (had about 12 sheets delivered the other day) on top of which goes the hardboard (16 sheets of that as they are smaller than the foam sheets) and then my old 6 ft by 3 ft foam 'judo/karate' mats.

I hope it will be AWESOME :) :) :)

7. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'FredInChina'

I will post pics soon...

8. Osu,

That's great Robertmap, looking forward to it.
    Are you opening a new dojo, or refurbishing an existing one? :)

Osu!

9. Osu,

That's great Robertmap, looking forward to it.
    Are you opening a new dojo, or refurbishing an existing one? :)

Osu!

10. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

11. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

New - going to be for personal use, private students and seminars - it's not going to be for classes like a full scale commercial dojo would be.

12. parraphrase

parraphrase Banned Banned

is this located in residential or commercial property?

13. OSu,

Ahhhhh, very very nice, you are going to have a beautiful set up here.
    Looking forward to see the finished result. :)

Osu!

14. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'parraphrase',

'residential' hence why no regular classes - or at least if I ever do have 'classes' they would only be for a few people. That said, because we are in a rural location there would probably not be any hassle.

15. Kemposhot

Kemposhot Valued Member

Sounds like you have a great thing coming along, best of luck to you!

16. Osu,

Are you planning on hosting an Ushi Deshi program?

Osu!

17. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi 'Fred...'

It's an interesting idea, I know a couple of people that have done / do that - maybe I'll chat to them and see how they put it together. I think that it might be an idea for a couple of years time...

Mind you my plans are always 'flexible' - today I noticed a Masters degree course that looks like it would be fun to do... So I might go back to being a mature student again...

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

May I state;

Careful opening something in "residential". There are zoning laws-codes and civic orgs which could interfere.

19. robertmap

robertmap Valued Member

Hi '47...'

You are quite right but here in England the laws and rules are fairly sensible - as long as whatever you do is fairly low-key and doesn't disturb the neighbours or cause traffic problems then generally things are OK. Also I will probably offer training at a reduced rate to neighbours and their families and stress it's health and safety benefits which I think are important in a rural setting...

Again, thanks :)

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Wish you the best.........