Log Jam

Discussion in 'Women's Self Defence' started by Judderman, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Another problem faced in the self defence scenarios is the log jam. This is where the defender has learnt so many complex defences that their mind goes blank and they can't defend themselves effectively.

This is also in addition to the loss of many fine motor movements, making many defences learnt in the class useless.

One way around this is the KISS principle, Keep It Simple Stupid.

What other ways do you have to over come this and give people the most effective defences?

Budo.

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

No one?

3. USHY

USHY New Member

what else you need,simple,crule and straight...

4. Tosh

Tosh Renegade of Funk

Soz dude, when I saw this thread I thought it was about constipation ;) :D

5. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

:rolleyes:

Damn good answer Tosh :D

6. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

NO, Sorry but that is FEAR not to many techniques!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When fear hits and dumps adrenaline into the system it clouds your mind and you lose fine motor functions and it has nothing to do with how many techniques you know or don't know.

Sincerely,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

True, but under severe duress if you have one or two "instinctive" responses they may come to the fore. I agree with the overall sentiment you express though.

I find "log jam" can be dealt with by constant drilling and practice. Unfortunately this is very hard to do on short courses. I tr and teach principles rather than techniques (i.e. go for the eyes, bite, run etc).

I stopped using the K.I.S.S. acronymn because the last thing you should be in self-defence is stupid! Instead use S.A.F.E. (Scream, Avoid, Fight, Escape) which I introduce as a strategy guide.

Out of interest, what is the general feel of your course syllabus?

8. ICT

ICT Shaolin Malay Silat

Yea I like your S.A.F.E. much better than K.I.S.S. I teach avoidance, awareness, know your surroundings, be prepared & expect the unexpected.

I put concepts ahead of technique but I teach techniques that are easy to do and remember and don't take much time to learn. My favorite techniques to teach for a Self-Defense course are elbows, knees, whips, knife hands, biting, stomping & yelling.

Take care,
    Teacher: Eddie Ivester

9. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Nice acronym. I don't care too much for the KISS (stupid) either.

One way to keep those simple and direct techniques coming out is to practice the senarios that apply to them. Whether you practice TMA or Combatives, take one class a week and do senarios.

10. Reiki

Reiki Ki is everything!

drilling reaction times to a threat can help...

must remind our leader that we need to do this on a more regular basis to overcome that 'oh sh*t" reaction lag!

11. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Can you expand please Reiki?

Perhaps the acronym SAFE is more preferable to KISS.

As has been posted above I would agree with the idea that you practice a limited number of attacks. I don't like some of the defences I've been taught over the years that go "Well first you do this, then this, then that and finish with this". Way too complicated. I much prefer "Do this or that".

Simple guy like me is going to remember it.

I guess it's like when you spar, if you start to think about which technique to do next, you loose.

Budo.