Hand Pad Combos?

Discussion in 'Boxing' started by Colucci, Feb 4, 2004.

1. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Can anyone suggest some decent (interesting/effective) combos to use on the mitts? I'm training a beginner and was looking for some input. I've been cross-training myself for a bit, rather than training strictly hands, and I'm a bit rusty at coming up with new punching combinations. Thanks.

2. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

Pad drills

There are loads. The only limit is your imagination

Here are some good ones

You have basic jab, cross, hook, uppercut combinations. The basic combos can be extended by what ever you like.

I would call basic
    1 Jab, cross.
    2 Jab, cross, hook.
    3 Jab, cross, uppercut.
    4 Jab, cross, hook, uppercut.
    5 Jab, cross, uppercut, hook.

Then you can think of extending these outside (ie at long range) combinations.

Each time you finish a combo with (assuming authordox) with your left hand, think about putting a cross on the end.

Each time you finish a combo with your right hand, think about putting a hook or uppercut on the end.

If you have finished with a hook, try an uppercut; if you finished with an uppercut, try a hook.

It should flow and will usually alternate sides with each punch.
    But remember to drill your double and triple jabs into your combos.

The whole point is the flow of punches so in the end you can start drills that have lots of moves-
    double jab, cross, hook, uppercut, hook, cross, uppercut and then slip to the side out of harms way.

Although some people may say that there is little point in doing over X amount of moves in a combination, and they are right.

But thats for them and you asked about fun drills. :cool:

For the inside (ie so close to your opponent you can smell his/her breath) there are a few.

(when I say body, I mean "hook to the body", head means "hook to head." When "body" is followed by "head" it means same side because you are getting the guy to drop his guard on that side exposing his head)

1 Body, head
    2 Body, head, cross
    3 Body, cross, head
    4 Body, cross, head, uppercut

And start mixing it up and getting it to follow. Although as they develop, you can think about the issue of cadence (another issue that will hopefully come up at some point :D )

Then you can drill uppercuts and hooks from the inside position-
    1 Uppercut, hook
    2 Hook, uppercut.

Then add crosses/hooks/uppercuts on the end.

Also make it more interesting by throwing shots back at him/her, and force them to bob/weave/slip/salute/parry/catch you shots so its increasing their awareness of defence as well as offence.

Much fun to be had, the only limit is your imagination. :D

3. shootodog

shootodog restless native

^^^^good stuff! that'll put in good work.

4. bigd

bigd New Member

yeah heres a few good ones

(RIGHT JAB/LEFT CROSS-"ONE- TWO"
    (RIGHT JAB/RIGHT UPPERCUT)
    (RIGHT JAB/LEFT CROSS/RIGHT HOOK)
    (RIGHT JAB;/RIGHT UPPERCUT/RIGHT HOOK)
    (RIGHT JAB/ RIGHT HOOK)
    (RIGHT JAB/BODY HOOK)
    (LEFT BODY THRUST/RIGHT HOOK)
    (WORK ON BOTH SIDES ON THESE COMBO'S)
    WARK ON NON-COMMITTMENT,TO DISTRACT THE OPONNENT.AFTER HE GETS USE TO THE COMBO'S PUNCH AT HIM WITH THE FOCUS MATTS,HOPED I HELPED.

5. Andrew Green

Andrew Green Member

My advise is to focus more on the movement before, durring, and after the combination.

Are they coming in safely, staying covered, exiting safely?

Or just coming straight in and going straight out?

Can spend many hours on the following:

1) Jab
    2) Jab Jab
    3) Jab Jab Jab

High and low variations if you really feel like giving them a lot to worry about ;)

6. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Good point from Andrew.

The key to hyand pad training is having a good coach wearing them. If a fellow training partner just stands there holding them static with no feedback or correction you may as well work the heavy bag.

Hand pads = coaching mitts. If there's no coaching you are missing the point.

7. semphoon

semphoon walk idiot, walk.

^ yip having a good pad man is very important. With pad drills, (although the hitter can work his weaves/slips/footwork/headmovement etc etc) sometimes you are only as good as the person who is pushing you and giving you the targets to hit and letting you know when you are uncovered etc.

Whats great about pad drills is that the HOLDER of the pads gains a lot of essential skills. The holder develops as a pad man and learns how to get the best out people.

8. Stick

Stick New Member

left jab, left hook.

9. Nerevar

Nerevar A son of a mother

Make fists and do what works for you.