Martial arts questions

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Music Man, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

If the ground is the worst place to be in a fight, then train to put people there.

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

This.

Plus, having the skills to increase your own chances of getting off the ground seems like a good idea.

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

I'm a big fan of the 4 s's in all 3 ranges of fighting.

1) strike
    2) submit
    3) sweep
    4) TransSition

4. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

Is there not the issue of not being able to deal with multiple attackers when doing bjj? From what I have seen bjj is not good for this.

I did just see a cool vid with bjj being done from a standing position. That was cool. Problem is that at my friends dojo they hardly ever train standing up or dealing with stand up punches.

It seems to me that Japanese ju jitsu is better for street self defense then bjj because of all that it includes as well as staing on ones feet is the main goal

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  5. Dead_pool

The only consistent approaches to multiple opponents are

A) running
    B) weapons

Standards in JJ are incredibly low, if you want skills you have to do an art that spars.

If you want all round ability, an MMA class is the way to go, failing that, any of the MMA consistent arts are also good.

So boxing, wrestling, Judo, sambo, kick boxing or BJJ.

6. Dead_pool

[ame]https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yzCBUXTUPIs[/ame]

This should be mandatory viewing.

7. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

8. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

9. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

I'll acknowledge that pure BJJ usually lacks a solid takedown game and obviously lacks standing striking, however it's rare to see a BJJ school where there isn't an avenue to compete in MMA. Those schools will normally include a wrestling class and some sort of striking class.

Frankly the best styles for putting people on the ground against their will and keeping them there are Judo and Wrestling. And those are very common. A little solid boxing and you'll have all the tools you need to close, clinch and take down someone who is trying to strike you. Then his strikes become largely ineffective and (so long as you're aware of what positions you're using; knee-on-belly is the truth) you're free to strike, choke, joint lock, deploy a weapon, look around or disengage at any time.

But again, while your fighting ability is extremely important when called for, it's not your primary tool for self defense.

10. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I love what I have seen of boxing, but being that breaking ones hands is a big risk in boxing (it's still one of my main choices though) it seems another style would be a better first choice. So it seems that the best choice for a fighting style on the street is one that not only is effective but also one that has the least amount of potential for self injury. I think Japanese Ju Jitsu has to be about the best I have seen for this being that it's mostly a stand up grappling, throwing and joint locking style.

Just to ask, I have read that Gracie Ju Jitsu does have a lot of stand up fighting for on the street self defense. Is this true? I have also read that a lot of schools that teach Gracie jj do not really teach the street self defense aspects of the style. Is this also true?

I know that the Gracies say that their style of jj was developed for street self defense and regular bjj is more for sport.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

JJJ can be pretty hard on the wrists and fingers. Bad news if you are a musician.

Strong possibility if you try to use it in self defence you'll end up with a broken face never mind hand.

12. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

I would stay away from Krav Maga personally because I train in Kajukenbo. My instructor took some courses with a couple of the 4th degree black belts and literally he said, "they did everything we do, except kick you in the nuts a lot more often."

13. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

What about Hapkido? It seems like a good style.

14. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

It has its moments, but again very hard on the joints - essentially it is a korean reading of aikido but more kicky

15. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

So considering all that I have told you all about myself (the fact I want practical fighting ability and a style I can stay and grow with for my whole life, my wrists and knee and low back problems, the fact Im a professional drummer) do you all think that boxing is the best style for me despite the risks in training and despite the risk of breaking a hand or finger or knuckle in a street fight if I ever have to defend myself in that type of situation? If yes thats cool. If not what style should I study?

It's very easy for me to go back and forth on the topic of which style I should study, as I've been doing, so that's why I'm asking everones opinion. Thanks

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  16. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

If you have a "streetfight" your concern should only be surviving it - injuries are a hazard of any conflict situation

Muay Thai, with its other tools in the box, would probably be your best bet

17. Korpy

Korpy Whatever Works

Honestly, I'll be biased, but...Brazilian Jiu Jitsu.

When I was younger, I did the whole traditional martial arts thing. Studied Hapkido and Kung Fu. Got relatively high in both, and I thought I could fight...until I started practicing Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. All the techniques I learned were just not applicable. I trained hard, and really immersed myself in the style. I have been able to win fights on the mats and in the cage. And I have used BJJ in self defense situations, both on "the street" and in bars when I would bounce.

I know you said you have back and knee problems. I have knee problems and some back problems and I am able to do BJJ no prob. You probably wont want to roll hard, but you can drill the techniques and light roll and be able to become proficient. Hell...Helio did BJJ till the day he died, meaning you should be able to pick it up no problem with ailments.

18. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

I did Muay Thai in the late 90"s. I did like it and there is no doubt it is effective. I think my only issue with Muay Thai was the shin kicks. I have seen some pretty bad shin breaks from bone on bone cantact. And now with my knee and back issues, I did not have those then, Im not sure how Muay Thai would effect those things.

19. Music Man

Music Man Valued Member

My big thing with BJJ is that most schools don't teach it from a street self defense perspective. They only teach it from a sport perspective. So I don't see very much stand up defense happening against punches and the like. Its usually just take downs which go to the ground and stay there. I personally feel that staying on the ground in a street fight is a terrible idea.

I have read that Gracie JJ has a lot of street self defense applications. And there is a Gracie licensed school in my area. So if they do actually teach good Street combatives I would be interested in checking it out. Here's the link to the school.

http://www.bushinmartialarts.com/

20. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

Have you thought of using the boxing mindset and the like ... but instead using an open hand? Curling your fingers slightly to make a somewhat tradition martial arts "bear claw" and you can do some damage with a palm strike.