culture of showering after class

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by HairoNoSora, Nov 23, 2015.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

Yep, I don't go to those beaches, either, but as far as I know they appear at pretty much any place worth swimming in :D And if there's not a specific part of beach, the nudists would find they're own nice place :)

Ok, that's true. I've been to UK once for a month at the peak of summer, but I probably wouldn't want to take my clothes off any of those days :D

2. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

I used to go to a class where we'd all shower afterwards. It was in a sports centre, so they had big communal showers. One chap always kept his undies on while showering. I thought it was a bit odd, then I started to wonder if maybe it was perhaps because he was gay and didn't like other men seeing his 'bits'. I don't know if that was the case, and I didnt ever consider asking him.

3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Since it's been ages since I was in a sauna, I can only repeat what one of my teachers said: Hygiene.

For example: When people wear their swimsuits in the sauna and go swimming afterwards they drag a streak behind them.

Looked at it from a English-not-first-language-country-perspective it's kind of weird.
    I would have never considered entering a sauna with clothes on.

Funny, what little things have me wondering.

4. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

I grew up where we all showered together in a communal setting (Canada). These days I think that it's partly laziness and partly child protection gone wild that leads to people showering in their underpants.

Girls at school never showered at all here, boys, I'm not sure if they had to or not but I don't think it was mandatory(UK - Engand). I used to wonder about hygiene issues of not cleaning oneself after being in the mud or whatever.

At the rugby club the young lads often shower in their pants because (? a guess) they aren't allowed to be naked in the company of adults (child protection) and it's either stay dressed or the adults (coaches ) have to be out of the area. I think that this started to allow adult supervision in awkward situations.

It's a tough call as you want both cleanliness and safety.. too bad that such a natural normal thing has become a problem.

LFD

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Are mankinis cool though?

6. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

Only during wintertime, then it's very " cool"

7. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Hey, stop peeking! :D

8. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Yeah, because directly exposing your anal colony to hot surfaces is just so hygienic :D
    Cultural norms are cultural norms.

9. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

It's pretty much like that here in the land of the sauna. The locals laugh at how foreigners will wear swimming costumes into the sauna and say that "it's not a sexual place", but mixed naked saunas are pretty much unheard of. You can go in naked and mixed with your family or a very, very close group of friends...or if you're all smashed and everyone's hoping for some fun...but it's not normal otherwise. Edit: Finns are pretty disgusted that people don't shower before and after the sauna and that you can't throw water on the kiuas (heater) in foreign countries. Not sure what type of heaters are used in the UK, but here it's normal and part of the process here.

Usually it's naked but men and women go separate. You'll be mocked if you wear any type of swimming costume or towel.

Personally hate saunas unless they are smoke or wood saunas (i.e. real ones), electric saunas are crap and not the same thing, but still find the whole thing quite pointless. The sauna is a bit sacred here and people get really upset (really they do) when I tell them I don't like the sauna. I sweat enough, why would I sit in a small, dark box and sweat more?

Sauna here is pretty serious:

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2010/aug/08/sauna-championship-russian-dead

Last edited: Nov 25, 2015
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You have a towel to sit on!

11. Bozza Bostik

You're supposed to put something under your ass, yeah. It's called a "pefletti" here. And of course, showering first is mandatory.

You dirty, dirty English barbarians.

12. HairoNoSora

HairoNoSora Valued Member

That kinda reminds me of the Japanese washing themselves before takeing a bath or into the hotsprings.

Incidentally, you're not supposed to wear swimwear in the hotspring too..

13. Bozza Bostik

Think about it...baths are disgusting, you're washing in your own dirty water. Makes sense to have a quick shower then use the tub for chillin'.

Onsens are great.

14. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I wasn't about to be that blunt and honest, but now I can start right?
    So... :p

15. Ben Gash CLF

Double post

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  16. Ben Gash CLF

Yeah, it's not a sexual thing, but here saunas and steam rooms where you go naked are cottaging hotspots.
    When I used to sauna regularly I always showered before and after and you could put water on the heater.

17. Bozza Bostik

Cottaging! Hah.

I had to explain that to some people the other day (and dogging).

18. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Cottaging, you learn something new every day!

19. Ben Gash CLF

I aim to educate ;)

20. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

This would explain the predominance of manspreading elderly men and barely out of school teenage boys in the one I mentioned.