Vitamins and Cancer Risk

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by GSHAMBROOKE, May 13, 2015.

1. GSHAMBROOKE

GSHAMBROOKE Thats Tarm Sarm

Are there any thoughts on this research? I have taken vitamins on a regular basis for most of my life and so far have never felt any ill effects from it, of Corse to much of a good thing is not always good for you and their are those with the opinion that if you have a good diet you don't need supplement's and for the most part I would agree but because I train fairly hard I have always put a bit extra in to top the vitamin and mineral levels, so what do you think.

https://richarddawkins.net/2015/05/vitamins-and-cancer-risk/

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The evidence is pretty clear. Taking large quantities of vitamins increases risk of cancer, so you probably shouldn't do that.

3. GSHAMBROOKE

That's not really what I was getting at I know that taking large quantities of vitamins are not good for you and if that is all that researcher's are conveying to the public then that is fine but there seems to be some suggestion that certain vitamins can enhance your chances of developing some forms of cancer, is that more scare mongering than anything else because I for one have never known or heard of anyone developing cancer from vitamin use and im not talking about taking large quantities, there are even some people that say that vitamins do absolutely nothing for you at all and are a complete waist of time.

4. holyheadjch

When you get cancer it doesn't come with a label saying 'Vitamins' or 'Cigarettes' or 'Chemtrails'. What these studies are saying is that if you take vitamin supplements in high doses, the evidence shows that you have a higher risk of developing cancer.

Science doesn't scaremonger; it reports on the evidence.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  5. Ros Montgomery

Ros Montgomery Valued Member

Do you think there's a possibility that what these people might actually be saying is that vitamins taken as a non-food supplement, may well be a waste of time, or more accurately, a way of getting very expensive urine. :)

6. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

There's evidence that vitamin A increases the growth rate of lung tumours. Ironically discovered during a trial to see if vitamins treated cancer.

7. Hapuka

Hapuka Te Aho

Is there a reason why you choose to take supplements? You can generally get all of your vitamins and minerals through eating a clean diet. If you're concerned about any deficiencies you should get tested by your doctor. Otherwise vitamin supplements can be a waste of money if you don't actually need them.

8. GSHAMBROOKE

Yes but I don't use them as a substitute for food and I don't OD on them either I would like to see some statistics of people that have actually developed some sort of cancer from vitamins.

9. GSHAMBROOKE

I have a good diet and I have been taking vitamins from about eighteen years of age I turned 47 yesterday that is a fairly prolonged use of vitamins and I go to the doctor once a year for a full check up and blood test, according to the doctor I am fit and healthy, im not saying that the research is wrong but it cant be across the board maybe different people react differently to them.
    I tend to be a bit obsessive compulsive with training and train flat out so in order not to get to worn out or run down I supplement my diet with vitamins I feel like it helps with more energy and recovery time to, as I all ready mentioned im not disputing that the over use of vitamins is not good for you I have always known that.

10. GSHAMBROOKE

http://www.forksoverknives.com/vitamin-d-supplements-are-harmful-sunshine-and-food-determine-health/

I can see that this vitamin debate is going to grate on me for some time I am going to be watching these research results closely to see if it gains some momentum and if it gains popular belief amongst scientists around the world then surely the harmful ones should be withdrawn from Chemist outlets that sell them, this guy it from England and he is saying that vitamin D does no good at all and can even do more harm then good he says that we should get as much sun as possible to obtain the required amount of vitamin D, in Australia we have the highest rate of skin cancer in the world and encouraged to stay out of the sun as much as possible, I live in Melbourne a pretty cold part of Australia long winters and not a lot of sun, my Doctor prescribed vitamin D, well apparently he is wrong according to this guy from England.:bang:

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

In the UK we have more ozone, so getting vit D via the sun is safer, in oz tthat's more dangerous so taking a supplement and staying within the RDA is a safer option.

Many of these studies show colloration, but not a causal relationship, just stick to the RDA and you'll be fine.

If your interested, get hold of the actual studies and learn to understand them properly, most clickbait articles are not worth even reading.

12. holyheadjch

Like I said, cancer doesn't come with labels, so no such statistics exist

13. Dead_pool

It's quite possible vitamins help you live longer, but living longer increases your chance of developing cancer, this doesn't mean vitamins caused your cancer.

Edit - this is a simplified example. Correlation doesn't mean causal.

14. christinecpierc

christinecpierc New Member

Exactly, and I've actually read that if you lived long enough, you would DEFINITELY get cancer. It's just that our life spans aren't currently long enough for this to be a common problem.

Personally, I like to use liquid vitamins when possible, because they are more easily absorbed by the body. Link removed has some great examples, and I like them because of the "auto-ship" feature, which sends you your vitamins in mail BEFORE you run out.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 3, 2015
  15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Welcome to MAP.

I'm afraid we don't allow advertising on AP.

16. holyheadjch

She's actually trying to sell us vitamin supplements in a thread that is discussing how vitamin supplements cause cancer? She's literally trying to kill us.

17. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

A lot does certainly depend on the quality of the vitamins.
    I would avoid cheap multis and supplements like the plague many come with toxic properties like cyanide in them that the liver has to detoxify. Always go for quality vitamins that have been tried tested and reviewed and go through the ingredients with a fine comb.

One vitamin that everyone should be taking in high amounts is vitamin d3 unless you are Dailly getting 1 to 2 hours a day in direct sunlight.

18. holyheadjch

If you're not getting 1-2 hours a day in direct sunlight in summer, I would prescribe a course of 'getting your life sorted out' tablets.

19. CrowZer0

CrowZer0 Assume formlessness.

Daily 365 days a year. Not just summer.

20. Dead_pool

Oh dear, cheap multivitamins have cyanide in? Really?

Good job the EU has standards and regs about that isn't it.