gymboss timers

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Oct 23, 2012.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Has anyone here used these, how programable and loud are they?

I Currently use a phone app to organise bjj rolling, but was thinking a proper timer could be a better option.

2. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

I use one regularly. It's cheap, reliable, and works out well. On the most basic version you can program two intervals (e.g. 3 minutes of bagwork and 1 minute of rest) for up to 99 sets. On the more advanced you can add in a variety of intervals. They're pretty easy but I can only vouch for the basic version and say it's more for personal use. The beep itself is loud for an individual but for a group you might miss it.

3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I also have one and hadn't used it for a while til last week when we started circuit training. It has a fairly loud beep, and I think there is a setting for different types, as mine is set to a double beep. I think if you don't play music too loudly over then it should be audible

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

I love mine! It's an old model so, as Kuma says, it does 2 different intervals countdowns at the same time. The newer models have a stopwatch facility as well. The beep is OK for personal use, but can be a little quiet in a noisy environment. I tend to clip mine to the neck of my t-shirt and have it set for beep and vibrate and that does the job fine. I'd be lost without mine.

5. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I thought mine was one of the older models - it only has time then interval for upto 99 repetitions - but also has the stopwatch. I also read somewhere that the older models have a louder beep than the new ones, partly what sold it for me against more non-standard intervals

6. dormindo

dormindo Active Member Supporter

Chalk up one more who has the older model and I can ditto what Kuma and Frodo have said. In a group setting it might not be loud enough for all to hear, depending on the size of the room and especially if you have music going.

What I do have that's louder than anything is a boxing style round timer--no missing the beeps there! It is nearly four times the cost of a Gymboss, though.

7. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, I have the older model and I't brilliant. Robust, easy to use, audible. I clip it on my belt when I'm teaching to time intervals and it works just great. I've got a phone app too but the volume on that doesn't compare. Mine was cheap on ebay at around £10-15 I think.

I might have a look at the new Gymboss if it allows more intervals, could be fun to play with :)

Mitch

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Mitch...you ARE a gymboss. Let it be known. :)

9. Frodocious

Don't say things like that to him - it goes straight to his head and makes him unbearable in the Mod section! ;) :D

10. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

He is an older model gymboss though.
    Not very reliable and prone to breakages. :)

11. Frodocious

ROTFLMAO! So very, very true! :D

12. Seventh

Seventh Super Sexy Sushi Time

The real question here is, how much will he go for on Ebay.

Buy now, and your package comes with an ultra exclusive, specially hand crafted, man-kini!

13. Mitch

Zombie thread!

My Gymboss is on the way out after years of sterling service. Several of the LCD lines in the display have failed, so it's pretty hard to read now.

I'll probably just order another as it's been so good, but I thought I'd check to see if anyone had any new recommendations.

What say you MAP? A small interval timer that I can slip in a pocket or clip on a belt/dobok, something loud enough for me to hear over general class noise, but it doesn't have to be loud enough for the whole class as shouting is one of my core skills :D

Mitch

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

There's no app on phones?

15. Mitch

There are lots! I'm typing this reply on the Galaxy Note I started using instead of the Gymboss.

The Galaxy Note with the cracked screen because I dropped it whilst using it instead of the Gymboss.

A cheap, small timer with a clip is more robust, convenient and cheaper to replace :)

Mitch

16. Narrue

Narrue Valued Member

I have this one though have to confess dont use it much

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Bq6UlN46us"]Gymboss miniMAX Navigation and Setup Tips - YouTube[/ame]

17. Tom@Foresight

Tom@Foresight Valued Member

I like the gymboss, especially for coaching. It can be worn by the coach and will even vibrate as a signal to shout time. The beep on mine is not terribly loud so would not work for a whole class.

TOM