The Skipping Thread

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Simon, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I know you posted this two years ago, but do you have ANY IDEA how ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS you would look? xD xD xD

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

This is what I'm currently working on.

It's a technique called the dragon roll.

hewho likes this.
  3. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd be glad if I would manage the ordinary jumping.
    You know - the stuff five year olds do.
    Where people like me always have the rope at their feet, nearly tearing their toes off.

4. Simon

I'll shoot you a short video.

I had a girl in class today who couldn't skip at all.

10 minutes later she was skipping.

I'll try and get it done on Tuesday.

5. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd appreciate that!
    Everytime we do it in class, I just hate it, because I know after ten times at the very best I will tangle the rope around my toes.

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

I'd appreciate that too Simon - Skipping for me is one of those really frustrating activities, that has been a life long pain in the ass, so any help would be greatly received.

Travess

7. Simon

No problem.

I'll re-shoot the original videos.

Maybe a few videos, but shorter than the originals.

Travess likes this.
  8. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My hips make running nearly impossible but I love skipping. Will upload a video tomorrow.

axelb and Simon like this.
  9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Shoes! Wear shoes! I can't believe it when I see people jumping barefoot. (Ouch!!!) You'll still make mistakes, but it won't kill your toes.

Me, too. Not impossible to run, but, I also just hate running! :p Two years ago I couldn't jump 30 seconds without making a mistake. Now I often jump 8 minutes before I make a mistake. Practice, practice, practice, practice.

axelb likes this.
  10. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I'd probably get my behind kicked, if I were to wear shoes on the mat :D
    Plus, I actually prefer being barefoot or on socks; I'm not of those extremes who actually walk the streets without shoes, but I can understand why people prefer it.

Besides: Doesn't everybody hate running?
    Or is it just the smart people? ;)

11. chatter box

chatter box Member

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Mat shoes, man! Wrestling, boxing, karate, whatever!

Seriously, I won't jump rope barefoot, because when I make a mistake it flat out hurts my toes too much. I'm pretty good with pain, but -- that ain't fun at all. Fortunately everyone wears boxing shoes in boxing class, so, no peer pressure. :D

Ahem, I'll go with the smart people. :p

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I even have a pair of mat shoes, because I needed them for a grading, but boy, I hate wearing those.
    They make everything feels so weird.

I accepeted wearing them when it's either *very* cold or when I have the feeling to get a cold, and when the weather isn't too nice anymore.
    But they make the mats feel weird, and you don't have a feel in the soles anymore, and... :confused:

I guess I have to live with the tangled rope around my toes most of the time :oops: :D

Deal :D

14. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Always had a love/hate relationship with skipping and used to blame it on my yeti sized feet. It was always part of my kickboxing/Thai warm ups and I can handle basic skipping but used to watch others doing more complicated techniques with a slight bit of jealously. This is something that has fallen to wayside of my workouts and I will have to look into adding it again. Also can't remember if it was leather and plastic ropes that sting like hell when they connect skipping barefoot...guess I will find out.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Both tend to be fairly horrible in my experience.

Dan93 likes this.
  16. Simon

I haven't forgotten I promised to shoot a video, but I have been real busy.

Hopefully this weekend I can get it done.

17. Simon

You should try the really thin wire speed ropes. :eek:

My guess is you are using a rope that is too short. I'll cover this in my video.

Dan93 likes this.
  18. Dan93

Dan93 Valued Member

Cool cheers Simon. I look forward to it!

19. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

These words together.
    Ouch.
    ;)
    I'm so lame when skipping, it should be impossible to not manage it - and yet I do :D

That's interesting, because it always feels to be too long.
    But since I'm really bad at it, that probably doesn't mean anything :oops::D

I'm looking forward to the video, but first things first, so, please, take your time :)

20. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

I used to hate boxing class warm-up when I started, skipping and stopping every few seconds whilst everyone else storms through it for 10 minutes.

I need to get on this again, I could manage weighted doubles,but never the criss cross. I get shin splints so have to wear trainers, or do it on a matt.
    i love all the Ross Enemait skipping drills, great way to progress.