Best protein for lean muscle

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Rebecca_Daw, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Rebecca_Daw

Rebecca_Daw New Member

What are the best protein supplements to gain lean muscles?

2. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Any bcca or protein suppliment without added sugar.
    Brands dont really matter, stay away from "weightgainers" they're just protein powder with added sugars.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Meat :p

As far as actual supplements go, whey is one of the best regarded ones.

4. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Which contribute to gaining weight . . . . .

5. Dead_pool

Weight which is not lean muscle.

6. Ero-Sennin

Unless you're super attentive to your caloric intake and expenditure during both physical activity and exercise to the point where you are putting out near exactly what you take in, you're not going to grow any lean muscle without some fat gain.

If somebody's diet doesn't have a crap ton of sugar in it already, I don't see why taking a weight gainer protein source would be a bad thing. Sugars are just simple carbs, there are just too many in the average diet currently which make people raise hell about it.

I can get away with drinking a gallon of gatorade a day working in construction in Florida and still lose weight rapidly. In fact, I need something like gatorade to keep myself from dying because water isn't enough. God help me if I were trying to gain weight in this heat. I wouldn't be able to eat enough calories to gain, and would probably have to turn to sources like a weight gainer.

Most people don't even need supplements anyways. One way to tell if somebody needs them or not is if they are asking what kind to use :p

7. flaming

flaming Valued Member

I would of thought cold weather would of meant you needed more calories.

8. Ero-Sennin

If I'm active all day, I drink at least two gallons of fluid during the day. I don't pee once. I probably burn a gazillion calories just sweating. It's really nasty.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

But that's water your losing not fat I think.

10. Ero-Sennin

Yes, but your body is still expending energy sweating. It doesn't just happen on its own. That means calories are burned trying to stay cool.

11. Dead_pool

12. Ero-Sennin

13. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Cold weather actually has more in common with hot weather that you might imagine: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK232870/

It's the salt in the gatorade that is keeping your muscles from seizing up and you cooking like roadkill in the sun. I think the sugar is a secondary benefit to the water and salt.

14. Dead_pool

Itll be the hard manual labour that does it.

the heat and the humidity just restricts your effort and makes it seem harder, a bit like those silly altitude masks

15. Ero-Sennin

I refuse to believe that that pushing two gallons of liquid through my skin isn't burning calories. Science be dammed!

This topic is interesting me quite a bit currently though. Generally your body expends energy to produce something, and it's producing sweat in order to maintain homeostasis. I can't see how that doesn't burn calories. It might not be anywhere near as significant as I thought it was, but there's no way there's a 0 calorie requirement to sweat, and a 0 calorie effort to keep the body cooled down.

Looks like I'm gonna' be on a journey to go learn something.

Regardless, monosacharrides aren't bad for you as long as you're getting them at an appropriate rate to using them. : P

16. Dead_pool

Sweating is just the body redirecting urea through the skin, instead of through the bladder, any increase in calories burnt would be insignificant.

Excess sugar should be avoided if lean bodymass is the goal, obs that is very individual, but starting on regular protein and then upping the calories if needed is a much better approach.

17. Emanon

Emanon New Member

I'm no scientist and have no specific data to post but as a long time trainee I am not sold on the extra Protien for muscle gain thing. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure there may have been studies suggesting that just ones (the average person) daily requirement for protein is enough even for weight training. I don't know what is correct but I never got too crazy about it even when I was lifting years ago and bulking. I did get a good deal of protein but then again I was eating a lot consuming 4500 clean calories per day. But I didn't buy supplements and such.
    Actually what I started doing at one point was to buy those 8oz cans of condensed milk for 75 cents. It's condensed so you get the same amount of protein from 2 tbsp as you get from 8 oz of milk. How many tbsp in an 8 oz can? See what I'm saying? I would drink the whole can or make a shake with it. Protein for cheap!

Eat right/feed your workouts, work out hard, don't get too crazy, rinse and repeat. People tend to complicate things and the internet these days makes it worse.

18. KevFen

KevFen New Member

Buy one of the decent brands online not from Holland and Barrett, best value is 2.5kg or 5kg. I use myprotein and have done for years their Impact Whey is good value and if you time it right they often have a 30%off offer on.