When a Japanese sword meets flesh

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Dave Humm, May 22, 2006.

1. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

You are living in Japan, according to what you posted earlier on in the thread.

You'll be aware then that importing foreign steel into Japan without proper permits is illegal then yes?

Also if you are getting a Hanwei shinken (which are forged and manufactured in China), you'll have to apply for a Jūhōtōkenrui tōrokushō (銃砲刀剣類登録証) or gun and sword licence which inevitably means that you'll have to 'fess up and admit that you have imported foreign steel weapons into the country illegally which means you will probably get your sword confiscated and a hefty fine (possibly the price you would pay for a 2nd hand nihontō) as well as a potential legal slap on the wrist.

If you don't get the licence and then are stopped by the 'satsu, then you're up to your neck in fecal matter for having an unregistered weapon.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2011
  2. Fushigina neko

Fushigina neko Valued Member

Yes, I knew I had to have a permit, but I never heard that chinese steel was illegal in Japan. Well, I guess I'll have to wait a bit (and save money). Life is expensive in Japan...

3. Kogusoku

Kogusoku 髭また伸びた! Supporter

僕も十年以上日本に住んでいました。 日本で生活の価格が高いけど英国はもっと高い。しょうがないな!

4. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Subtle reminder to always post a translation with non-English text...

5. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Thanks for the thread. :) I started sword training last week. Still using a bokken at the moment, but will be moving on later.

6. shootodog

shootodog restless native

"I also lived in Japan for more than ten years. Price of living is high in Japan, but the UK higher. S no ginger!"~google

S no ginger?

7. shootodog

shootodog restless native

Post removed, as it mentions a previouslt deleted post, sorry.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2013
  8. AleahParcon

AleahParcon New Member

Great post Dave!. Owning a sword comes with great awareness also to avoid any accidents. Thumbs up for this!

9. HachiKuma

HachiKuma Valued Member

Don't go waving your thumbs around, that's just asking for trouble!