The "Basic Four" ground position flow drill

Discussion in 'MMA' started by YODA, Mar 29, 2008.

1. jilson

jilson New Member

Really amazing

Thank you for such a nice post.:)

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  2. jilson

jilson New Member

3. little_mike

little_mike New Member

great post

4. The warrior

The warrior Valued Member

Not too bad. You had some pretty good pics that showed a lot which is very important for this type of article.

5. Tiger_Snake

Tiger_Snake Valued Member

really great post

6. Tom O'Brien

Tom O'Brien Valued Member

Great for basics!

Thanks,
    Tom

7. Gracie JiuJitsu

Gracie JiuJitsu New Member

Just interjecting some advise; don't only practice the basic drills, practice the complicated ones too so that you get a feel for grappling. Also, don't practice the drills without a coach watching over you, because you don't want to learn to do the drill wrong.

8. B I R C H

B I R C H Valued Member

The exact way that i have been learning in my training, great thread my friend great stuff!

9. dvoncannon3

dvoncannon3 New Member

I learned some of this from some infantry guys in the army while I was deployed to the sandbox. I have always wondered how effective this is for a woman of my size and build to learn and use this? Almost always, I see very strong men of varying heights using grappling. Is there any practical use for a woman to try and use these if on her own and attacked? Especially against a man who is trying to harm her?

10. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Grappling of any kind is a vital part of self defence training (IMO), particularly for women - given that attacks against women can often be with the intent of taking them to the ground for a sexual assault. Although there will often be a weight disadvantage, knowledge of grappling can be used to escape an attacker, particularly if they are unfamiliar with grappling.

11. Sekkendo

Sekkendo Banned Banned

what is the best art to learn for grappling?

12. Atharel

Atharel Errant

Great fundamentals drill, here.

It depends on what kind of grappling you want.

If by "grappling" you mean "grappling on the ground", Brazilian Jiu-jitsu focuses most on that.

If you really like throwing people and also some basic ground work, Judo is better for you.

If you like a bit more ground work than Judo offers and maybe also some leg locks, Sambo might be more up your alley.

And of course, you can never go wrong with wrestling, which teaches control both standing and on the ground.

13. TaekwonPRO

TaekwonPRO Valued Member

We practice these at my TKD. We still teach TKD predominantly and do close to 0 groundwork EVER, but we practice these and how to get out of them....just enough to be able to get back on our feet if we are taken down, not to submit the enemy.

I am surprised that you did not include North-South position.

14. jspicer

jspicer Valued Member

15. brisrocket

brisrocket Taekwondo instructor in Brisbane Australia

Interesting introduction. I wish I had an opportunity to practice these more frequently, but we don't regularly practice this in my style of art (TKD). Respect to the grapplers.

16. icefield

icefield Valued Member

north-south is not really considered one of the big 4, to be honest scarf isnt by most people either- its normally guard, side control, mount and back mount

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Kesa/scarf should be! It is one of my trademarks - BJJ guys are quite dismissive of it, but at the risk of being controversial its because they don't utilize it properly.

Kimura made heavy use of it in his match with Helio

Let's make kesa sexy again!

18. Zabrus

Zabrus Valued Member

Very interesting article!

Kesa Gatame... that's the variation we use at our jujutsu newaza.

19. mattt

mattt Valued Member

I assume you are talking of combining it with a High percentage sub like a Chinese burn?

20. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Or a wet Lilly