Takeaway fight between bouncers and clubbers

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by EdiSco, May 18, 2017.

1. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity

Some pretty shabby boxing from even the bouncers. I thought bouncers at least had some training. A Nak Muay though would've excelled in this situation since there was some very close quarter wrestling. A single knee to the gut would've dropped the aggressors. And those elbows are lethal.:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcAJI7Ubn94

I REALLY wana do muay thai!!

Last edited: May 18, 2017
  2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I think everyone lost that.

3. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

From a SD perspective, the young woman at the 12 second mark, who saw something was about to kick off, and decided to get the hell out of dodge - She was a winner.

As for EVERYTHING ELSE in the video, I couldn't agree more Chadderz

Travess

4. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Why? I've known plenty of bouncers who didn't have any training.But don't start something with 'em.

But these guys aren't bouncers,they're uniformed security guards.I've also known plenty of security guards who were security guards because,well,they got a job being a security guard.Not because they had any skills.

I worked in a store for number of years.Security often used me as back up when busting people.Of all the guards we had over the years only 1 had any training-a champion college wrestler.

Don't make assumptions of civilian security personnel.You probably know a lot more than many of them!

I did enjoy the epic western "drag the bodies out of the saloon" finale.:D

5. EdiSco

Yeah. you could tell they've had zero full contact experience. The reason I posted this video is that this is exactly the type of situation someone may typically find themselves in on a night out. Of all the martial arts, Thai appears to be the most practical. And MMA, of course.

6. Travess

7. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

8. Travess

Yes - I always double check... (and have just triple checked) I didn't even need to like the page.

Anyone else?

**EDIT** Okay, my previous link worked through my Tablet, but not through my Laptop - This one worked for both...

https://www.facebook.com/streetwisetactics/videos/737852213060507

Travess

Last edited: May 19, 2017
  9. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I don't know, man. When I watch that video I'm screaming from my chair, "Ikkyo! Yankyo!" Those are aikido arm controls, and they're totally available to the security guards. Small-Circle Jujitsu finger locks come to mind, too, when the aggressors are shoving around the 0:40 mark.

I'm not dissing muay thai. I'm just saying, sometimes a screwdriver is a better tool than a hammer, so maybe no one would have gotten knocked out if the security guards had some standing-grappling tools. :dunno:

10. EdiSco

The problem with grappling is it engages you with just one opponent whereas with striking and footwork you can strike/defend and move about against more than one aggressor. Don't get me wrong! I'm not saying Muay Thai/boxing is the answer to everything..far from it!

No system can teach you how to defend yourself from a surprise weapon attack from behind. Those two pro fighters were just too cocky and arrogant. Sometimes it's best to run like the wind! It's the ego...it hurts :(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGZ4E-qUd1A

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

I guess I don't share your view of standing grappling (which is what I was talking about, as contrasted against rolling on the floor in the guard or mount). In the video, from about 0:48 - 1:10 the guards are trading blows, and by my view of the world they're completely engaged with 1 or 2 attackers. I could legitimately turn your words around and say "boxing is no good, because it engages you with just one opponent, whereas grappling lets you move around to engage more than one aggressor." And this video would be my supporting evidence.

Example of ikkyo:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RX3Oru_CbKY
    The arms that were extended aggressively toward the security guards are the arms that Christian Tissier is manipulating in the opening minute of that video. He's walking around a lot because he has an open mat, but I assure you (because I've done it) that you don't have to walk around and spin that much.

12. neems

neems Valued Member

You also have to remember this is in the UK and the first one to be attacked has a camera right above his head.

We have very little right to defend ourselves compared to Americans,it actually wouldn't surprise me if the doorman who got an attacker in a headlock and punched him a few times was charged and lost his license.

13. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

We have every right to defend ourselves, from the most basic of pre-emptive strikes to causing physical harm right up to the worst of outcomes.

We don't even have to wait for the physical attack, so I'm not sure we need to amend our SD laws to be in line with any other country.

if you are acting legally then you have no issue, whatever the outcome.

14. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

What Simon said.

The issues/complications come when the "victim" oversteps the line between defending themselves, and getting retribution.
    Self defence is more than knowing punches, kicks and throws.
    Emotional intelligence and compassion is at the core, if you want to stay on the right side of the law.

15. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Bouncers don't need to know martial arts because in almost all cases they possess the one thing that you need to succeed in the concrete dojo - numbers.

16. Travess

100% agree with this - Plus it rhymes, so it'll be easier to start getting my daughter to remember and understand it, which is a double bonus :D

Travess

17. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

I'm a poet, and I didn't know it!

18. neems

neems Valued Member

Yeah... as long as it's reasonable,proportionate and necessary,in the eyes of a magistrate who's sat in a comfy chair dissecting your every action.
    There are a lot of people who would say punching the man in blue was unnecessary because the security staff by then outnumbered the attackers.

The only question should be who initiated the violence,that can be proven factually.
    No-one can prove whether it was or wasn't reasonable at that moment to snooze the man in blue for example,it's down to the opinion of a likely unqualified person.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

I've not watched the video, so can't comment on it.

For me though I'd act in a heart beat if I thought it necessary and I wouldn't be worrying about what a judge thought, as that puts me mentally on the back foot.

20. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

You're talking rubbish. The only cases where a victim of a violent crime was successfully prosecuted in the UK normally involved acts of extreme retribution. The CPS (who make decisions on prosecutions, not a Magistrate). If you can show that your actions were in response to an active threat and that your response to that threat was in any way reasonable, you're going to be fine, legally.

If you knock the guy unconscious, then stamp on him a few times to teach him a lesson, you're going down, and rightly so.