Kung Fu Weakness' - Please help

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Syrri, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Syrri

Syrri New Member

Hello all;
    I was hoping that someone here would be able to tell me what martial art, if any, Kung Fu struggles against. Is there a style that you've found difficult to spare against personally? Something that just seems to... get under your defences easier than any other style?
    I know, its a little unorthodox; however I do require this information.

So, since the internet is a place for sob stories:

My brother has trained in Kung Fu for a long time. I'd imagine that he's quite good at it. He tends to be at anything he does. The problem being, for me, that he used to quite like hitting me when we were younger. Of course, out of fear, when he started learning martial arts my only thought was:

"Great. Now he knows how to hit me properly"

So I since ceased any confrontation with him. I did not talk to him, and if he ever entered the room, no matter what I was doing- I left. In the middle of a game online? Doesn't matter I left.

Now, in my mid twenties, I'd quite like to get over my fear of him. I could, of course, go and learn Kung Fu... but as he has years of training on me, that would be rather redundant. Yes?

Obviously I need to find something that I'd be good at... something that has agility, maybe? Something that's more of a moving around style than the grounded Kung Fu?

TL;DL: I'm so tired of living in fear of my brother... is there anything Kung Fu is weak against? For my own peace of mind?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Tell your brother to stop being a tool.

Failing that, have him charged with assault.

3. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Boxing and judo.

I imagine you'd surpass him in a few weeks.

4. Syrri

Syrri New Member

Haha, his own parents telling him to stop had no effect, I doubt that telling him to 'stop being a tool' would help!
    That being said, he hasn't hit me in years (because, well, I avoid the heck out of him) so I can't really charge him with assault... its more of the /fear/ of not knowing how to defend myself that gets to me.

Boxing and judo? Okay. I'll keep that in mind, thanks :)

5. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

If you are genuinely scared of your brother, then no martial art in the world is going to help you defend yourself against him, because your fear will beat you every time.

If you feel that you have to physically protect yourself from your brother then you have to have the courage to do it. Becoming skilled at a martial art may help to give you that confidence, but there is no guarentee of that.

The fear you have of your brother is something that has developed over many years, and is probably very deeply ingrained in you by now. Getting over the psychological barrier of hitting him back is the biggest step. I think with any bully, that's the biggest step. Once you've done it once, you've broken the 'spell'.

If you've never been in many real fights, then handling the adrenaline 'dump' is the hardest part. Doing a martial art with plenty of sparring can help you cope with it, up to a point. But studying a martial art is something that you should only do because you it's something that you would actually enjoy. Otherwise it'll just be a chore.

You might be better just to carry a big stick whenever he's around.

6. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Do BJJ. Then you can beat the crap out of him without even hurting him ;)

Not that I advocate beating family members of course.

7. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Start taking boxing and judo. You should talk to him about what he did.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  8. Pretty In Pink

Out of pure interest, is there a website for his school?

9. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Hitting your brother when you are little is kinda ok. When you are in your mid twenties, it is definitely not ok. I really think that you should stop avoiding him and start talking to him. Hopefully he has grown up a bit.
    Failing that, wrestle him to the floor and tie him up in knots.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

wait, so let me get this straight: when you were little kids, he hit you (rather common, if of dubious moral content, among kids). then he started kung fu and you started avoiding him, so you've barely talked to him in years. now you're a full grown adult and you're scared that the same little kid is going to come back, only bigger, and start hitting you, just because? rather than, day, another adult, who can actually think, and presumably doesn't beat the crap out of people for shiggles? (which is also highly illegal as an adult?)

11. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

This sounds like the plot of a 1970's Shaw Brothers film

12. Xue Sheng

Xue Sheng All weight is underside

Boxing, Judo BJJ, Sanda, Muay Thai, Order of Protection...... personally I'd go for the last one first

13. wtfbbqchiken

wtfbbqchiken New Member

wow that's a ridiculous question lol first which one of the 300+ styles does he even do?! if he went to a half decent class he would be more restrained than when you were kids... like others have said talk to him -_-

14. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Do you still have much contact with him? You don't still live in the same house, do you?

You say you imagine he is good at it. That suggests you haven't been in touch with him much?

Studying a martial art solely for this reason doesn't make much sense. There are hundreds and hundreds of hours you need to devote to getting good. If you don't enjoy it, you train because of your brother devoting so much of your life to it because of him, he is STILL mentally ruling your life.

And he has years of training. You can train for years before catching up, and that if if he stops, or he stays ahead of you.

Now MA is a good way to build confidence, get some fighting skills, and have fun. But train because you want to for more reasons than because your brother dictates the course of your life.

Practice self defense, keep the loser out of your life as much as possible. Stay away from him. See a counselor to get over your issues from his past abuse. Free yourself from his mental control.

Oh, and there are hundreds of styles of Kung Fu. Worry more about the school and if it teaches well. If it has sparring and drills.........this is much more important than the style.

Best of luck to you.

15. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

No, no it is not.

16. Pretty In Pink

Plot twist: it's wing chun.

17. pecks

pecks Valued Member

Yeah I didn't really mean it's ok, that's why I put "kinda". Kids push, pinch and hit each other quite a lot. Adults don't. I didn't mean it's ok, I just meant it's something that happens.

18. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

I'm not really sure the op is even a legit question. My brothers and I used to beat the tar out of each other as kids. Since I was the youngest I was always fearful of them. I haven spoke to one of them in almost 16 years. I highly doubt as adults either of us would consider anything more than a beer and some time to catch up. Of course there is the possibility of an underlying issue that is way beyond the normal boys will be boys thing.

That being said judo and a good striking art like boxing, or kick boxing will get you there fairly quick

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  19. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Learn Iaido and wear a sword when at home.