Upcoming Poomsae Competition

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by brookieeto, Jul 12, 2014.

1. brookieeto

brookieeto New Member

Hey everyone, I have an upcoming taekwondo pattern competition
    I practice all of my patterns everyday and do WTF TKD
    Any tips or information to help me through it?
    Thank you!

2. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

Based on my experience of hashing up a pattern I knew very well in my first comp a few months ago due to becoming distracted, I'd say the main risk is loss of concentration part-way through.

We most likely practice our patterns in ideal conditions (quiet rooms, nobody around), so maybe have somebody or something try to distract you (ideally when you're not expecting it).

3. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Find out what surface you'll be competing on. First time I did a pattern event on a matted surface I did a turning kick, stepped down, sprained my ankle and collapsed in a heap.

4. mjl

mjl ITF Taekwon-Do (1st Dan)

Yay, I did it! It was the ITF British Open in Derby at the weekend, my 2nd competition entry, anyway... I won Gold in patterns and Silver in sparring in my category. Couldn't be happier to be honest as I'd practiced my patterns over and over, and was very determined to not suffer the same concentration loss as back in May.

Loved the sparring matches - I so narrowly missed out on the gold for that after scoring a draw after the first two rounds, then an extra round which also ended in a draw, and then finally a quick fire first to score wins decider round (I was EXHAUSTED). Made a daft tactical error there that awarded my opponent the gold (and I know what I should have done, and didn't... benefit of hindsight!!).

Anyway if there are any beginners/lower grades like myself reading this, if you have a really bad comp experience like I did before, don't give up. Turn it into determination to do better next time. If you want it, do it!

5. kmorrisonnyc

kmorrisonnyc Valued Member

Congratulations mjl!