Kyokushin Karate?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Shantei, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Shantei

Shantei Valued Member

Is it me or does Kyokushin Karate look nearly the same as TKD? :confused:

Thanks!

2. JonathanL

JonathanL Valued Member

3. Shantei

Shantei Valued Member

Useful mate. Explain why it's funny, it's why I'm asking because I don't know do I? :rolleyes:

4. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

At times it does resemble WTF Taekwondo. It tends to display more of the "flambuoyant" kicks of TKD and more emphasis on leg techniques than are found in many other forms of karate. Both WTF and kyokushin disallow head punches in competition, leading to some degree of similarity in competition techniques.

The main differences include the fact that kicking to the legs is permitted in kyokushin and punching to the torso is a valid technique, unlike in WTF where it is permitted but unlikely to score and, due to the body armour, is unlikely to contribute to rendering the opponent unable to continue. You're less likely to see long strings of kicks in kyokushin than in TKD as the risk is too great compared to the payoff (unlike in TKD where the accumulation of points can compensate for any loss of balance etc).

The rhythm of fights also trends to differ, with less of the frenetic "can-can dancing" of WTF being found in kyokushin, where high level matches tend to seem slightly more "plodding" as competitors hack at each others' legs and attack the body until the opportunity for a KO presents itself.

5. Shantei

Shantei Valued Member

Ok thanks! So why isn't Kyokushin Karate not renowened for it's high attractive kicks as well as TKD? I mean, they're not used as often maybe, but they still pretty good.

6. Moosey

Moosey invariably, a moose Supporter

It's much much less common in the US/UK. In every city you'll find many TKD clubs but you're lucky to find a kyokushinkai club in any but the largest cities. Also, TKD's an olympic sport whereas karate isn't. TKD's just more popular.

7. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

They are similar in that they are both Karate based arts. Thats about it though. Kyokushin is no padding full contact sparring minus punches to the face, TKD is very much a points based art which heavily favours high acrobatic kicks. I think pretty much anyone who knows even a little about both arts could very easily distinguish them with a 100% success rate.

I think whoever summed it up with "lol" was right.

If TKD is speed then Kyokushin is power.

8. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

In ITF TKD we keep our hands up? :p

Mitch

9. fire cobra

fire cobra Valued Member

Kyokushin karate also uses knees in competition :)

10. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

ITF? hands up? You mean these guys?

11. Mitch

Kindof? :eek:

Mitch :D

12. Shantei

Shantei Valued Member

The video below displays good power .. although ITF probably emphasises more on poer than WTF.

13. Devildog2930

Devildog2930 Teneo vestri ego.

I train in Taekwondo but also spend a lot of time with my friends Kyokushin style karate club. Kyokushin stand more square on when sparing as this allows for easier blocking of the leg shots. Taekwondo Stylists tend to fight more side on as we don't usually have to deal with leg kicks. Taekwondo fighters tend to like to fight at long range, getting in and out fast with kicks & punches. Kyokushin guys like getting hit and tend to fight at short range drilling punches into each others body's and then if one opponent retreats the Kicks come in to play. Taekwondo fighters tend to through kicking combinations a: because multiple hits mean multiple points. b. The flicky looking kicks are used to set up the one hard KO. Kyokushin tend to just through singular kicks hard and to the point.
    For the similarities they are both Korean styles but with Kyokushin, because of mas oyama's time in Japan use Japanese terminology.

Both have speed and power. I think the better phrase might be If TKD is distance fighting then Kyokushin is in fighting.

14. Cuchulain4

Cuchulain4 Valued Member

wtf = full contact itf = semi contact.

15. XT18

XT18 Banned Banned

Kyokushin has some kicks that might be similar but its nothing like tkd my dad use to take kyokushin for 4 years his 42 now im 18 and he still holds up really well in sparring they got some hard blocks and hits.

16. Mitch

Oh yes, the geriatrics can still look after themselves :D

Mitch

17. yannick35

yannick35 Banned Banned

No way not at all

They do have some similar kicks but Kyokushin is much harder then TKD.

I praticed both for many years.

18. yann

yann Valued Member

kyokushin tkd similarities

Does the original question mean competition similarities or the whole art?
    mr moose is right about the competition aspect re wtf.. though it must be easier for the wtf guys to throw those kicks when they know their opponent isn't going to punish their legs (before and after execution)
    same goes for the body shots-perhaps wtf tkd would be the same as kk if they took their armour off?? hehehehhe.
    Didnt mas oyama once consider amalgamating kyokushin into tkd????
    perhaps someone could refresh my ailing memory :)
    I cant comment on other wtf stuff as i'm only an occasional spectator-personally, i'd rather watch the itf stuff-its very similair to kk 'clicker' fighting, used in most kk organisations as well as knockdown and points' fighting.
    osu! yann
    ps, check out a gary o'neill vid-he could do very well in wtf i reckon ;)