Aikido application in daily life

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by aikiMac, Feb 11, 2005.

1. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

What are your non-physical applications of aikido in your daily life? (Please don't tell me that aikido has no application off the mat.) For example, in this post I mentioned my non-physical description of sheonage. An application for me as a lawyer is the brainstorming stage of generating a solution to my client's problem.

Consider the triangle, circle, and square symbols. Physically, the triangle is irimi, atemi, and the cutting motions that end projections. Non-physically, it is "getting to the point." An application for me is when I'm arguing, professionally, my case with the opposing lawyer. He throws out several statements. I zero in on the one that matters. "Sir, I agree with you on points 1, 3, and 4, but you've strayed on #2. The facts really are ..." Strike to the center. Irimi. Triangle.

The circle is yielding. It is "ai." It's when we blend with uke's momentum and go where his energy is going. In my job, it's what I do in the initial consultation to get my client to open up with me, and tell me the facts. It's what I do with the opposing party to keep at least a polite, if not a friendly, relationship, because if you're always butting heads you'll never get anything done.

Those are my ideas. What are your ideas?

How about irimi-nage?
    How about kaiten-nage?
    Etc. Keep going. Certainly this stuff can be used off the mats.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2005
  2. aikiscotsman

aikiscotsman Banned Banned

Its good if you can see that in life if, you find its a benefit for you but`

Physically for me the triangle,circle square are the movments for me, and its what i was taught( although they have many different meanings.)
    the triangle is Hanmi, Osensies chosen body shape for aikido, a perfect triangle projecting from the body from the feet to to the shoulders and head.
    the cirlcle is how you move your body, and the square is what is all around you.

As for non physical daily life, Nothing like yours mate, i just try to be a calm individual

3. Dave Humm

Dave Humm Serving Queen and Country

My work (past and present) brings me in contact with a large amount of people on a weekly basis, some polite, and some not so. Aikido as a generalism helps me remain calm in the face of ignorance and minimal social skill.

I'm often seen grinning after dealing with ingnoramous, this is because I know I've 'won' that interaction when they've got their knickers in a twist :) But then that may also be attributed to my warped sense of humour.

Aikido also gives me something to focus on when work gets tough and stress levels reach "I'm gonna smack the boss" heights.

Dave

4. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

In daily life Aikido helps me stay calm and laid back. :)

5. Fujin

Fujin New Member

I use body movement tai sabaki a lot while in crouded places like the mall. Don't know if that counts. :). About non physical, Aikido has showed me that taking the initiative in things usually is better, and gives you a clearer view of situations then just waiting around for someone else to do something. This is mostly about starting projects for schoolwork etc.

6. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Try 'Aikido in Everyday Life' by Terry Dobson and Victor Miller (ISBN 1-55643-151-1). It is a really well written book exploring physical and non-physical conflict resolution. It explores some simple interpersonal skills based on Aikido and a good section on the the geometry (shape) of different conflict scenarios, including one v. one, one vs. two, one vs. group etc. in what they call 'attack-tics'. They use the triangle, circle and square imagery you describe.

There are lots of examples and case studies to show how the theory may be applied. As it was first written in 1978 and updated in 1993, it is well ahead of all those 'assertiveness training' ideas. (Not to be confused with Tohei's book which shares a similar title but IMHO is very limited and does not really answer your original question.)

Personally, I know from experience that being armed with aikido skills makes me physically better able to deal with aggression and violence outside the dojo and also makes me more able to resolve non-physical conflict.

There are huge numbers of

7. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Which of Toheis' books are you refering to kiaiki? Would it be 'Ki In Daily Life'. ISBN 4-88996-071-6. I haven't read this book but as far as I know it's not about incorporating Aikido into your daily life but instead as the title would suggest incorporating the prinicples of Ki into your daily life as taught by Koichi Tohei.

If you want to compair both books then ok. However you're not really compairing like for like. For starters Koichi Toheis book is focused on Ki which I'm sure you will be aware is only one cog in the Aikido machine. It would also have been fairer to provide the proper title for Koichi Toheis book along with the ISBN number for people to make their own comparison.

8. kiaiki

kiaiki Valued Member

Now, now...:)

Yes aikiwolfie - it is that book. I own a copy and, for its time (1978), it still has some relevance. In addition to some interesting general info on 'Ki' it does discuss co-ordinating (harmonising?) mind and body in everyday life, including some sections of diet and exercise/sleep advice which were IMHO not really needed as they offer nothing new.

It is, however, broader than the title conveys, as it does have a section entitled 'The Principle of non Dissension' which IS about conflict resolution in everyday life - however it is only six pages and would not add much to the awareness of an aikido student who already has some interest in the thinking behind aikido as the way of harmony.

By all means read it, but the reason I mentioned it was so that people would not confuse the TITLES as Tohei's has much less relevance IN THE CONTEXT OF THE QUESTION originally posed.

The book I mentioned was 'Aikido in Everyday Life' by Terry Dobson and Victor Miller (ISBN 1-55643-151-1) and I mentioned it because it is the directly relevant source of information in print that I know of.

I know, I know, we always drift off, but can we stay on topic please or we'll end up with a book club discussion.

Actually that's not a bad idea for a different thread.....

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  9. aikiMac

I just realized that I have that book (found it at a used book store) but haven't read it. Shame on me.

I'm still disappointed that no one else has found an application for aikido off the mats. :cry: "Look at me. I'm the weird one."

10. aikiMac

Ah, but if I'm weird, I'm in good company! The master Terry Dobson also found application off the mat.

A Kind Word Turneth Away Wrath

This is exactly the sort of aikido that I'm interested in.

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Oh i use Aikido in daily life all the time. Especially at work when my TL is getting me in trouble for handing in crap figures. I look at her with big sad puppy eyes. Taking the slack in her mind. And she's blonde so it takes real effort too.

12. aikiMac

Ha ha ha! :p I do that with my wife sometimes. "Stop giving me those big blue eyes!" she says. :D

13. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

:D the "I so dumb I'm cute" act works a treat as well. :p

14. Dave Humm

Yeh but it only works if you don't look like a silverback on heat !

Regards

15. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

No actually it works every time. My TL is only her late 20s, early 30s so I have the advantage. :D lol

16. AnthonyWood

AnthonyWood New Member

I think that for anybody who wants to incorporate Aikido into their daily lives, they should study Ueshiba, his words and thoughts. Just the movements are not enough, you have to go deep within the philosophy of what this man was saying.

17. Dave Humm

I have to disagree.

The philosophy of the art is only one section of a very wide picture - That I both agree and support however, the founder lived in an age well past where life was considerably different on a number of levels. He was Japanese which, as a culture further widens the nature of "us" you and me for instance (and many more besides) and one man who held some fairly radical beliefs both religious and otherwise.

It is a well known fact that namy of the founder's own students failed to grasp the meaning of what O sensei was saying at the time, one must recognise their direct relationship with the man and their life in a culture and society which even today can be far removed from what we're used to.

Now, for me personally. Given your statement, I would have to disagree that to incorporate aikido into my daily life I have to study Ueshiba and the things he said and thought.

1 I am not Japanese so I see no reason to try to think like one
    2 I don't profess to even begin to comprehend what M. Ueshiba was like as a person so; I'd rather not blindly follow the philosophy and indoctrination of a person I've never met.
    3 I study Aikido, not the life of one man.

Adopting in daily life, certain aspects of what aikido as a martial discipline offers is IMHO a great way of improving one's mental and physical stature however, this is not an exclusive trait of Aikido, ask ANY martial artist and I'm sure they'll say the same thing, 'their art offers them something in their daily life' thus, it's not specifically the founder (of any art) that one must study/follow/understand but, one's own personality which is simply enriched by the study, dedication and development in Budo.

Here's an interesting article written by Philip Smith Sensei, one of my organisation's senior Yudansha.

Regards

Last edited: Jul 19, 2005
  18. AnthonyWood

AnthonyWood New Member

Okay when I said study the man in my humble opinion he had made some very good statements, such as:

The art of peace begins with you. Work on yourself and your appointed task in the Art of Peace. Everyone has a spirit that can be refined, a body that can be trained in some manner, a suitable path to follow. You are here for no other purpose than to realize your inner divinity and manifest your innate enlightenment. Foster peace in your own life and then apply the Art to all that you encounter.

As I have said I do not study Aikido, yet I have a great respect for its founder, and the statements he made are very relevant to today.

19. Dave Humm

Ok, I understand where you're going with this :) and I would agree that the founder did indeed say some profound things however, so did almost every pioneer in their respective system/art.

All I was pointing out is that IMHO it is better to make sense and understand the streangths and weaknesses in one's own personality through dedicated study, than to simply follow another person's opinions.

Regards

20. AnthonyWood

AnthonyWood New Member

I totaly agree with you, but sometimes just sometimes another person can set you on your path.
    Very best regards