Freedom of religion and taxes

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, May 5, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

http://mailchi.mp/thesatanictemple/trumps-executive-order-a-new-religious-future-the-satanic-temple

This is the most recent reply from the satanic temple (atheist pro logical temple really) about how d trump is now allowing tax exempt churches to now get involved with politics.

It looks like they, and other pro logic political orgs will now apply for tax exemption, so as to create a level playing field.

What do you think about tax exempt orgs beconeing political and the entire seperatartion of church/state issue?

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Every law-review type of article I've read about the Johnson Amendment (and I've read several) says that Johnson never meant to stop pastors from preaching politics -- nor should he. The Declaration of Independence appeals to religion, and both before and after the Constitution was ratified, we had tax-supported churches.

But that ship has sailed. It's too late now to argue "legislative intent."

And in contrast to, say, contract law, and property law, taxation is actually not a field of law built upon logical and self-evident principles. The whole field is built upon whatever the Congressmen and the Treasury officers thought up that particular day. This includes the decision that some people ought not speak their mind.

But, I've never understood why churches don't drop their tax-exempt status, and say whatever they want during election seasons. In my mind, it speaks ill of church leaders that they care more about money than truth. :dunno: (Here I mean "truth" as defined by them.)

It's also very problematic for the President to say that he wants to enforce a law only as to some of the actors under it, and not all of the actors. :eek:

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

i thought the ammendment was all about prohibiting politicking for a particular candidate, not political speech in general.

4. aikiMac

Yes, it's about endorsing (or opposing) a particular candidate.

5. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think this is a great step. What can go wrong when you mix religion and politics?

[​IMG]

6. aikiMac

Are you saying that the Johnson Amendment prevents politics and religion from mixing?

7. philosoraptor

I'm being facetious. I think the Johnson amendment was a very limited measure to separate church and state, one that guards against potential abuses of power. For example, just off the top of my head, could a church operate as a de facto super PAC now, one whose donations would be tax exempt?

8. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Amen!

:D

"There's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gydA6tPF5xI

9. Dead_pool

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Amendment

This is interesting reading, Theres a lot of detail about campaign funding, and making campaign funding tax deductible that could be affected by the change.

should Political donantions be tax deductible?

10. philosoraptor

I'd also be curious if churches would be subject to the same kind of oversight that exists for political groups.

11. Dead_pool

Thats a very good point!

"One concern is that political campaign contributions funneled through 501(c)(3) organizations would be tax-deductible for donors, and that such contributions would not be disclosed, since churches are exempt from reporting requirements required of other 501(c)(3) organizations. Under this critique, repeal would have the potential of creating a mechanism where political contributions could be made in violation of relevant campaign financing laws
    "
    From the link!