Most devastating strikes?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by EdiSco, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Madao13

Madao13 Valued Member

After watching Mitch's videos I got a few recommended videos with the title "power slap".
    Is that a thing?

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Yes it is - I teach a method of doing so

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Slaps are definately not to be underestimated.

Fast and a great stun to disrupt the opponents timing.

And they hurt like heck.

4. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

That was a whole hand slap and done with such a casual manner it's nearly beautiful. Shame about the recipient, but at least there was some after care.
    (held up, laid to rest on the ground to recover)...altho personally I would've placed him in the recovery position just in case.

5. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yes it is, I teach a version, as Hannibal does. You can look up Dave Turton as an advocate in the self defence world, amongst many others.

Mitch

6. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

From an amoral, purely analytical point of view, it's brilliant. It's worth really watching the whole clip in great detail to understand what happens there.

Look at where the guy who delivers the slap starts. He is fully engaged in conversation with another punter. But watch his head movement; he is clocking the guy in the purple shirt who gets knocked out, very early on, even when he is not dealing with him.

Look at the other bouncer who is pushing and looking agitated. He looks away from the guy in purple, and gets his arm smacked down as a result, and that results in him getting engaged and it escalating.

The first doorman then walks in and delivers a masterclass. He already knows who represents a problem. He already knows a lot about the level of threat they represent. He moves in a slow and controlled manner, no agitation to trigger the man in purple.

He engages with conversation first, gestures the other doorman away with his right, which also prepares his right whilst making the guy in purple feel listened to and understood.

He then establishes contact with his left. In context this establishes fellow feeling, the guy in purple feels reassured, in practice it establishes control of the right arm, focusses attention there, and feels for any movement that might bring the left in to play. This is such a big deal. Go watch youtube vids and see how many SD KOs follow this pattern.

The delivery is then great, but it was the set up that made the difference, though that's not what the video repeats. This is why SD is different to most sparring. Sparring in a full contact art doesn't teach you this stuff, good SD training does.

Mitch

7. Matt F

Matt F Valued Member

Being passionate that the underlining base and fundamentals for physical movement during an emergency, which SD is, should come from a full contact sporting style and sport in general then be adapted to the street or the situation,once it goes physical, by making it dirty and violent, I'll bite on the last part of the post and hopefully express in a non offensive way why I dont fully agree.

Watching someone run away from danger at full speed ,then jump over a fence, then maybe run through some bushes , through a door etc, would not mean that running competitively to get better at running, is a waste of time if someone has to run during an emergency because they do it on a track with rules. The competitive runner will ,fundamentalaly ,run better and then ,hopefully, adapt on the spot to the environment.

He might run round in a circle, or get down waiting for a gun, or get stuck at obstacles,looking for an umpire. That would be crazy though.

In the clip I see a sneak attack. The guy who gets clonked isn't looking at the guy who slaps him. The shot you don't see gets you. No matter what it is
    The slapper, so to speak, sneaks in and knocks him out.
    Being sneaky has nothing to do with sport or non sport. That's an experience thing or street wise thing.
    In fact I would argue that knowing your angles, and alignment, and power lines and how to line someone up in a sneaky way is done better by people with fights of some kind under their belt. Experience. Then all it needs is a savvy, clever mindset....being a bit naughty if you like.

Another view could be, is that SD? It's on the door.
    It's not like being a guy going about his daily life and randomly getting attacked.

SD isn't sneaking in on a situation your not involved in and knocking someone out.
    Of course it might be if the other guy wasn't a bouncer, but someone very vulnerable.

I think the clips good to look at from all for different reasons....shows a good slap, shows a sneak attack from how it could be done and how to avoid it. Shows what not to do and what to do maybe from both sides. Although because SD is infinitely variable because it's a dynamic, non linear situation then there's no fixed thing, so another time, all that works in the clip, might not work in another situation.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017
  8. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It may be a part of what SD is, but it certainly isn't SD on its own.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Most devastating strike - bronco kick.

10. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

11. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

the other bronco kick : )

12. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

The dim mak :)

13. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

My Google-Fu isn't working today, but all the same, I still vote for the spinning back kick as being the most devastating, in theory (measured in pounds of force that it can deliver to a target).

14. wonglongwingchu

wonglongwingchu Valued Member

Makes sense

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

[​IMG]

"It is almost impossible for your opponent to parry a kick made in this manner, and, in addition, it immediately puts him on the defensive, leaving him only the alternative of rolling away from you in an attempt to escape. Further, although he may attempt to protect his body with his arms, the weight of your body (say 150 pounds), plus the impetus of your flying jump (say another 150 pounds), will drive your heels into your opponent's body with such terrific force that you will almost certainly kill him."

NOTE: KILLING PEOPLE IS BAD

Last edited: Apr 17, 2017
  16. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

yeah,the non padding (in the ring context) certainly is a factor.
    As to mechanics,a hook punch or hook elbow have same mechanics,unless you know some secret I don't.The elbow does have a shorter arc in space,tho'.
    Me too,but irrelevant to the OP question.Then again being mainly a TC guy I don't mind closing/entering.Against the usual TKD/Karate types it was a common tactic.

And you must be meaning a straight punch,not a tight hook.

17. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

For one shot devastation you'd be hard pressed to beat a spin back kick/reverse side kick to the liver or reverse turning kick to the dome (I'm using TKD terms...sue me). The trick is landing these strikes in anything like a consistent manner.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. EdiSco

EdiSco Likes his anonymity