Any tips for getting back into an exercise routine?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Feb 24, 2017.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I took a month off to go overseas, now I am finding I am having trouble getting back into the gym. Any tips?

2. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Go. Immediately (or, you know tomorrow). It's not an optional activity, it's mandatory. Nothing on your schedule is more important than hitting the gym at the earliest possible opportunity. Don't put it off to the end of the week - the world will have ended by then.

Nothing is worse than the anticipation of going to the gym, so remove the anticipation, and just go.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Damn. I came to say exactly this. Almost word for word.

4. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Yep, Holy nailed it! Doing the first session is the hardest, you need to re-establish your routine. Drag yourself there is you have to, but get the first one under your belt then you'll be fine :)

Mitch

5. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I live that post, every single day.

6. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

Buy a notebook. Create an exercise plan and log it. I find that having a plan means that I am much more likely to train than if I just think 'oh, I'll do some exercise after work'.

Could you find a friend to go to the gym with as well. Then arrange to meet up, so you can't not go.

7. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I have this problem too--once I fall out of my regular routine:
    - I get anxiety about going back because I worry my cardio/whatever has fallen off and I won't be able to do it.
    - I come up with all sorts of rationalizations & reasons why I can't go "just this time", and it turns into almost every time.

How do I fix it? The only way I've found to work is to just grit your teeth, tell yourself there is no "good time" to get back--the time is right now. It will suck a bit but before you know it you will be back in your usual condition.

8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Put your foot in the door and let it flow from there, basically. Can't do anything at all if you don't go in the first place, so the first step is simply to go. So go.

9. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

stop over thinking it, go everyday until it is a habit, and then adjust from their.

10. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

So much yes on this thread already.

Go, even if it's for a "light" session to get you started.
    Then plan your routine and when you're going to do the sessions. Never skip a planned session, and plan around holidays or events that it will be likely you can't make, that way you're still sticking to the plan ;)

11. kandi

kandi Valued Member

How did you go?

The more I plan something, the less likely it is to happen. The planning is just an excuse to re-examine the question... I think your best bet is to decide to do it, and stop thinking about it.

Just do it.

12. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Slowly getting back into it. Going for more walks and lifting once or twice a week. I am trying to get my diet back in order. I think that is the main thing. I have the belief that food effects how you feel and lately I have been eating crap food. Hard to exercise to if feel like dirt a lot of the time.

13. Kaazham

Kaazham New Member

You can go with friend, use reminders or have a routine. A good schedule with weeks.