So Happy about this Video

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Pretty In Pink, Mar 5, 2017.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Am I seeing a different video to the rest of you? Or am I missing some sarcasm tags? I'm seriously not getting what people are excited about by that video.

2. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

it's interesting in that he's trying to perform the techniques with a bit more of a "pressure" veneer. i liked the irimi nage stuff at the end of the video the best.

3. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Yeah you must've clicked on the wrong video :/

4. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Granted he's bigger than his training partners, but all the same, in the opening 68 seconds he uses something that is recognizable as an aikido wrist lock (we call them kotegaeshi and nikkyo) five times to get a dominant grappling position.

5. Giovanni

i've used the principles of ikkyo in my bjj rolling, especially from the open guard when someone is trying to pass my said guard. i've had someone kotegaeshi me while rolling--a purple belt did it to me. the principles of irimi nage are most evident with something like an arm drag, but this applies not only to bjj, but wrestling.

6. Giovanni

if you look chadderz, the principles are everywhere. you mention you want "brazilian aikido". well you already have it--i believe.

7. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Turns out I was watching a different video (or part of it) The original link starts at three minutes something, when all there is to see is a load of essentially compliant drills.

8. Giovanni

i liked that part the best lol, because it showed how one would use irimi. but you're right, compliant drills.

another example of the principle of irimi in bjj action i think is arm triangle choke.

9. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Nice to see this vid - even getting some success with gloves on

10. Dunc

Just adding that I'm not sure why people lump wrist locks into the "low percentage" category
    Of course they are better used as part of a broader technique/chain, more appropriate with a jacket on and strikes help a lot in the set up, but I use them quite often in BJJ rolling

In the vid he's using them pretty effectively effectively to disrupt even with gloves on. And, in my view, if he either dropped his weight more or stepped further away he'd have thrown with a few of those that he bailed out of

11. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Agreed! And he'd be safer from a broader fighting/self-defense perspective. Sure, in context, this was a friendly training session obviously under a sport grappling ruleset. That's totally fine. But on the "street" maybe the opponent would have a knife in his other hand, and if he did -- in this video he was clearly close enough to cut/stab as he fell. Even without a knife, he could have punched the bigger guy in the face, or poked his eyes like the Three Stooges.

But that can be corrected by stepping backwards on an appropriate angle so as to stretch out the uke's arm (the guy who is falling is uke) and also lowering the wrist by lowering your own weight. Together, that reduces joint flexibility, making it more likely that he'll go down (and making him go down faster and harder :evil:), and it also reduces the chance of his other hand reaching you in any way.

12. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Right let's not get carried away guys. This went from sparring to knife fighting pretty damn quick.

13. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I suspect it's down to the prevalence of all the "grab my wrist" type videos that are portrayed as valid self defence.
    Wrist locks are perfectly viable/useful within context and as part of a larger skill set imo.

14. Dunc

Agreed

I also think that, for various reasons, they tend to be trained in unpressured contexts so not many people develop the level of skill required to apply them

15. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

which Wlocks do you get most success with? and in what positions?

16. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

If this was what you were looking for then you just needed to come to my close range classes :D

17. Dunc

There's a separate thread on this in the BJJ forum & I train the locks a little differently from Aikido so I don't want to derail this thread

But I've found similar techniques to the two forms that he uses in the video work quite well