Legitimate Tai Qi masters in Northern California

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by donnalim, Mar 5, 2017.

1. donnalim

donnalim New Member

Who are some good tai qi teachers in Northern California?

2. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

Could you narrow it down a bit? Northern California is a big place, and San Francisco alone is packed with good teachers.

3. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Also, it's Tai Chi, or TaiJi.

"Tai Qi" is an incorrect spelling, often caused by misinterpreting the "chi" of Tai Chi for the "chi" which often refers to "energy" (which is also spelled qi).

4. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Well, for Yang style TCC I have to say the Federation my school is with is based up north.

My GM's school is in San Francisco. Although he is often away in China, the school is run by Sifu Kuttel, who is a pretty awesome MAist. He also puts out a great line of tutorials online, so I imagine he is a great instructor. (His tutorial's are meant to supplement ones training- not an online teaching course.)

There are other school's up in No. Cal from my GM's lineage. Although I can't speak for every one, as I study in So. Cal, I can tell you that GM Doc-Fai Wong teaches Tai Chi Chuan as a martial art, with martial applications being front and center in the training. That is something you don't get from a lot of TCC nowadays.

I can also say from past participation in tournaments up north that Concord Academy and Eastern Ways has some pretty darn good students that I have gone up against. That was about 5 years ago, as I haven't been able to afford to go recently.

I have always enjoyed the tournaments up north for their TCC. My school teaches great TCC, but there are far more CLF students. There seems to be more schools focused on the TCC up north.

Here is a list of schools in the area. Pay attention to the one's that mention TCC. as some may only teach CLF.
    http://plumblossom.net/Plumblossom/northern.html

That website also has information about GM Doc Fai Wong and his lineage etc.

As Ben Gash CLF said, there are a ton of MA school's in that area, so I am sure there will be lots of other information forthcoming.

5. ned

ned Valued Member

Since in your introduction you say you're learning Chen ,
    I would check out the Practical Method school (Chen Zhonghua's organisation) if it's anywhere near you

http://www.chenstyletaiji.org

Last edited: Mar 5, 2017
  6. donnalim

donnalim New Member

Thanks for the input everyone. I'm practicing Chen style, but I'm interested in all internal aspects really. San Francisco and the peninsula is where I'm comfortable with, but I'll cross the bridge if I need to.

7. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Is San Jose too far?

8. El Medico

El Medico Valued Member

Welcome, donnalim.

It also would help to tell us what you're looking for,such as mild exercise,health practices, art for arts sake,functional application with blood,sweat and tears,etc,etc.

Different teachers know/teach somewhat different things.