Aikido an insight

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Polar Bear, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Hi Guys,
    Koyo asked me to upload a video for him and post it here. This is part 1 of 3 of this demonstration of Aikido.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI5DASHCftE"]YouTube - Part 1 of 3 : Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

I will add the others hopefully over the next day or so. Please feel free to comment and ask questions.

Cheers,
    The Bear.

2. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Excellent

3. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Part 2 of 3:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gVAKU4bygmA"]YouTube - Part 2 0f 3 : Traditional Aikido - William Coyle[/ame]

I will try to get part 3 uploaded tonight or tomorrow.

The Bear.

4. .Nathan.

.Nathan. New Member

Not bad. Guessing this is Aikikai?

5. koyo

koyo Passed away, but always remembered. RIP.

sword and stick is Iwama ryu the aikido is traditional.

regards koyo

My instructors. Chiba shihan aikido Saito shihan aikido aiki ken and jo

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  6. KOKORO KAI

KOKORO KAI Valued Member

Not bad ???????? WHAT!:bang:
    As Koyo said the sword and stick is Iwama ryu the Aikido is traditional.
    Excellent again Koyo:cool:

7. ludde

ludde Valued Member

Cant place Koyo on the high hors, avoid the comfort zone and all that you know :)

Nice demonstration Koyo.

8. koyo

Thanks Ludde.
    The demo IS to inform NOT to impress.

regards koyo

9. arctos725

arctos725 Valued Member

where is the part 3 of the video?
    Chinese government blocked the youtube which made me can't watch or search online for any youtube videos(crazy and dirty politics). I still can download if I know the link by FLV Retriever .
    Very good demo and I will show it in our dojo if sensi KoYo doesn't mind. Can I ask whether the uke is Sensi McGill? I appolegize if I didn't spell his name correctly. He is the best 2nd Dan Aikidoka I ever saw, very powerful technique, very good person.

10. koyo

Hi Zha

Of course you may show the video.

It is not really good ettiquette to name the uke as he is the head of his own dojo.

regards koyo

11. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Excellent demo koyo. There's certainly a lot to think about there. Thanks for sharing. :D And we should thank Bear for posting it. Thanks Bear :D

12. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

And yeah! Hurry up Bear with the next bit! :p

13. koyo

If you have any questions I shall attempt to answer them.

By the way I had not "gone native" The hakama and kimono were presented to me by Shihan hepburn 6th dan kendo with the "request" that I present the demonstration. This was the one and only time I wore it.

many of the principles were made more clear to me through crosstraining with Shihans Hepburn and Kincaid.

My thanks to them and to Bear for posting.

regards koyo

Attached Files:

14. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

Ah. I was wondering why they weren't aloud to touch the kit. :p

15. Polar Bear

Polar Bear Moved on

Yeah I'm doing my best. I tried to retain as much of the original quality of the video as possible. So each 10 min segments is 350mb, even with my broadband connection it takes time. Please be patient.

The Bear.

16. dentoiwamaryu

dentoiwamaryu Valued Member

Lovely demo dude, watched it a few times now cant wait for the trilogy. Polar, just wondered how a 10 min clip can be as big as 350 mb, is it due to it coming from tape?

Once agin Koyo great demo, thanks for showing us

17. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

A 10 minute clip can easily be much bigger than 350MB. It's all about the compression and rather limited choice of formats YouTube will accept.

But that's just an excuse. Anyway 350MB is nothing! ... Oh wait ... Are you with BT or one of their resellers? ADSL does suck camel testicles through a straw. I has cable :D

18. aikiwolfie

aikiwolfie ... Supporter

I liked what you said about harmony koyo. Using the sword to explain it made it really clear what you were getting at. The way I always think about harmony in Aikido is that your own mind and body need to be working together.

19. koyo

Harmony meaning aiki is different from awase meaning blending.It sounds like common sense to move in the same timing and throw an attacker in the direction he is moving.However that is incorrect and demands "harmony" from the uke.

Awase demands you blend with the attacker to break his balance deny his timing and distancing and throw or pin him at an ANGLE to his direction of attack.

Saito shihan said countless times "The secret of aikido lies in the triangles."

I just realised having that demo posted that anything I post now can be looked at in the video. oooops!!!!

regards koyo

20. Arnoo

Arnoo Work in Progress

This is probaly a stupid question but wich one is koyo ?