Flat earthers?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Mar 26, 2017.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

After eddie bravo and kron gracie "came out" about being flat earthers, does anyone here have the same beliefs? If so, why? and would you change your mind ever?

2. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I uhh... seriously? They're seriously, SERIOUSLY, surrilously, sersly flat earthers?

Goddamn, I can't even fathom that.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

It's obvious, otherwise you'd fall of the edge.
    Duh. :rolleyes:

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

I believe there are flat earth society members all over the globe ;)

5. Rand86

Rand86 likes to butt heads

I can kinda see the appeal:

[​IMG]

6. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

:happy: :happy: :happy: :happy:

7. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

8. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It genuinely seems to be one of those things that just won't die despite having been disproved millennia ago. At this point I believe all flat-earthers are either just out for attention or really ignorant of basic science and observation.

9. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

I found a faq on the flat earth society page. They claim that the earth is both infinite and flat, that we can circumnavigate a small portion of it that is in a circle bounded on all sides by Antartica, with the north pole being in the center of the circle.
    Satellites are fake, other planets are spherical as we can observe them, but the Earth is a type of other planet that must be rare because we haven't observed any other infinite planets...
    :eek:

10. Dead_pool

There's some top quality fun to be had reading the bits of the internet where science people and flat earthers collide!

Facebook on 10th planet bjj guy's profiles seemed to be where most of the ahem "debate" is.

There's quite a lot of moon landings and autism/vacines in there too.

in many ways its a similar position to trump/brexit, too many people with a poor education who dont want to enguage with actual facts, and think their ignorance is as good as other people's knowledge.

11. Dead_pool

12. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Infinite?! I'd heard of the "bounded on all sides" and magnetic pole part before, but I hadn't heard of the infinite part before. That's crazy.

Satellites don't have to be fake. Way back in time I saw a paper (but didn't read it) in which a Flat Earth proponent explained how all the equations of motion allow for satellites to orbit a flat Earth, provided one makes a few assumptions that Flat Earthers make. :dunno: I dunno, that's just what the guy said.

But as to pictures of a round Earth supposedly taken from space -- hey, it's just like that turtle/elephant picture, you know? ;)

And all the pictures of the Milky Way -- really now, how many people ever stop to think, "Whoa, where was the camera when it took that picture of the Milky Way?" :eek:

No, the pictures fake. No satellite from Earth has ever left the Milky Way galaxy and thus no camera from Earth has ever been in a position to take those pictures. In the same way, the round-Earth pictures can be fake, too. LOL! :love: :jester: I'm messing with you of course, but the Milky Way pictures honestly are fake.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2017
  13. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

From their FAQ: (http://theflatearthsociety.org/home/index.php/faq)
    Just repeating from their faq:

14. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

I've never understood this nonsense. Even assuming most of the things you would have to make giant leaps in logic and ignorance of evidence to believe, and the logistical bit about the massive organized deception this would require, what possible motivation is there? Is 'Big Earth' making that much of a killing selling globes?

15. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I always assumed they were more of a group that argued the position of a flat earth as a purely intellectual exercise.....

You can imagine my disappointment

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

These guys have been playing too much minecraft.

17. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I avoid ad hominem arguments when I can, but flat earthers deserve to be ridiculed for their stupidity.

18. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What gets me...especially with people like Bravo and Kron...is how they are so happy to leave their lane and pontificate on stuff they (clearly) know nothing about.
    They are jiu jitsu experts no doubt. I bet they'd scoff if someone that had never rolled started saying to them that BJJ isn't effective.
    And yet they think they are qualified enough to over turn all the actually qualified scientists and what they say.

I really hope Joe Rogan drops Eddie Bravo as a mate because I can't listen to any podcast he's on.

19. Dead_pool

http://www.grapplearts.com/black-belt-blindness-and-other-dangers/

I really liked this article, why you shouldn't listen to anyone out of their sphere of expertise.

Wouldnt it be great if everyone applied it to themselves too.

I think often people who are great at one thing, who have spent thousands of hours doing it, and have people listen to their opinion a lot, assume their initial (you tube fueled) ignorance is as good as someone elses expertise.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2017
  20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

eddie bravo. might be a good fighter, total dumb **** though. he was recently on alex jones' show even--not a good sign of a thinking human.