Your end of the world/zombie apocalypse weapons

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by SWC Sifu Ben, Nov 3, 2016.

1. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

So it's the end of the world. Maybe it's zombies, maybe economic and social collapse, maybe you're trapped in a post apocalyptic Hollywood movie. You're trucking around all your Earthly possessions on your back and all the ammo has run out. No one is making more. Your honed martial arts weapons skills are now more useful than they could ever be. You may end up facing human, or animal adversaries, and you probably need to hunt and trap to get food. Since this isn't a video game you actually have to carry all this stuff.

What do you personally take for armaments and why?

2. Morik

Morik Well-Known Member Supporter MAP 2017 Gold Award

a) Bow or crossbow with whichever arrows/bolts have the lowest likely-hood of breaking. (Not sure how I'd keep them sharp, but even a dullish one would do some damage.)

I'm decent with a recurve bow, even better with a compound bow, but haven't tried crossbows.
    So for a crossbow, I'd have to practice with it. I'd look for a farm with hay bales or something that would be very unlikely to damage the bolts.

b) Survival knife (for utility mostly, backup weapon)

c) A spear, or if I couldn't find one, a sword (katana-style? Not sure, not trained with swords.)
    I'd have to practice with this too.

I could probably rig a (poor) spear if I had access to someone's workshop.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2016
  3. Langenschwert

Langenschwert Molon Labe

Fun thread!

There are any number of good combos for such a scenario.

If you can get nothing else, get a spear or bow, preferably both. Spears are fearsome weapons, even in the hands of the marginally trained. A good spearman is more than a match for most swordsmen. Bows and spears are good for both hunting and fighting in TEOTWAWKI.

As a sword guy, I'd recommend two options, take your pick: 1) a two handed sword small enough to wear on your hip. I'd take my kriegsmesser or a longsword. If not that, then 2) sword & buckler is fantastic.

And a bowie knife for general utility, or paired with the buckler if needed.

If you can't get any of those, then a good stout stick/cane/staff will suffice. A nice long staff is nearly as fearsome as a spear, and uses many of the same techniques. It just occurred to me that cane and buckler would work OK in a pinch.

4. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

First 'll need this so no zombie will be able to bite o my body.

[​IMG]

I then need a longest sword on earth so I can cut through a zombie's body with one swing from 20 feet away.

[​IMG]

Fish Of Doom likes this.
  5. bigreddog

bigreddog Valued Member

A good knife on my belt (Cold Steel Trailmaster) - more tool than weapon.
    Dagger in my boot (access when seated, grappling etc).
    Compound bow with broadheads and blunts for hunting and range work.
    Spetnaz shovel as tool / tomahawk substitute.
    Sword - probably a sidesword - like the knuckle protection it offers. I'd like a buckler with it, but the extra weight means I'd probably just use the dagger I already have instead

6. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

A towel obviously.

TheDarkJester and gapjumper like this.
  7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

A Ray Mears pattern bushcraft knife. Small enough to carry habitually and able to do many camp jobs.
    A small hatchet. Carry on the belt as a weapon, for chopping firewood and getting into buildings.
    A crowbar. Also useful as a makeshift weapon and for opening locked doors to get supplies.
    A smatchet. I'm thinking mobility is probably more important than walking around fully tooled up so this is small enough to be easily carried but still useful in a fight.

8. Mianbao shifu

Mianbao shifu Just standing around

Flying Guillotine

[​IMG]

9. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Warhammer, bearded axe, kukris and my SAK

Or "EDC" as I like to call it.....

10. ned

ned Valued Member

A couple of small extras to stick in your pack ; a high velocity catapult and a spool of heavy monofilament fishing line. Useful for tripwires , garrotting and providing some much needed fresh food in any downtime from offing the undead.

11. cloudz

cloudz Valued Member

Katana; because it's the weapon I have most practice wielding.
    A knife for up close and skinning animals.
    A Crossbow, just cool and I need something from distance.
    Some throwing stars, because Ninja.
    Nun Chucks so I can keep up my Bruce Lee obsession.

12. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Weapons: cross bow. Spear. (6ft), catapult.
    Tool kit: Knife (belt), Machete (belt), Crowbar, Hand Axe, Trowel, Wet Stone. Can opener.
    Fire/light kit: Airtight tin box, flint, steal, Tinder. Kindling. Torch, candles x12
    Healing kit: Scalpel, tweezers, Bandages, needle, thread, antiseptic paste, tinctures, herbs, drugs, condoms.
    Camping kit: Tent, sleeping bag, blanket, ground sheet, pegs, cord, string, wire, compass. Hammock, hammock straps. Much para cord.
    Hunting Kit: Wire, string, fishing hand line, hooks x 6, snares. Spare bow strings
    Climbing Kit: Rope, Grappling hook, harness, thingies to belay to carabiners
    Shaving kit: metal mirror, razor, soap, towel. Nail brush & file.
    Cooking & mess kit: two pots, 1 pan, tin plate, tin mug, spoon,
    Repair kit: cloth & leather needles, patches, threads, bradawl, pliers, wire, spare buckles etc.
    Clothes: Travel: wool cloak, hat, oilskins, Kevlar motorcycle outfit. Leather jackets, trousers, motorcycle helmet, Wooly jumpers, linin shirts. Gloves.
    Containers: Backpack, Belt, belt pouches, wallet, water skin x2, water bottle, Empty sacks, bags, stoppered jars,
    Misc: whistle, Bottle strong whisky, 1 lb dried deadly poison mushrooms, 1 lb dried hallucinogenic mushrooms. Pepper/chilli powder. Grease, oil, cloth wrapping.
    Pack goat: Harness, panniers, bucket for milking.

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hah...someone's given this a lot of thought.

14. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Bat'leth and a temper.

Maybe some banana skins for comedic effect.

15. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Not at all related to the imminent decimation of Syria by Putin and the election of the next american president. :dunno:

16. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

Baseball bat.

Easy to find, easy to use, won't get dull, won't get stuck in the center of a zombie, lightweight.

Maybe a ball peen hammer and a riot shield failing that.

17. raaeoh

raaeoh never tell me the odds

My hatchet and or my axe , aluminum bat, a staff, my homemade air cannon. It fires everything. And of course my running shoes

18. philosoraptor

Aluminum bat is pretty nice, but you can stick nails through the wooden bats.

19. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Seriously good point - had not thought of that. Also not sharp so reduced chances of accidentally sticking yourself with Zombie virus.

20. philosoraptor

In light of that, I'm rethinking my sticking nails through the bat strategy as well.