Matt Fiddes - Self Defence in Schools

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Aegis, Oct 21, 2016.

1. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

It's worth bringing this to the main forum for discussion. Keith Cooper posted a link to our Facebook group with a petition from Matt Fiddes to teach martial arts / self defence in schools. Clearly this is a move by him to get into schools for a huge amount of free advertising, but from our perspective as both martial artists and self defence practitioners, this should be worrying, as his view of martial arts and self defence clearly differ from ours.

One to watch out for - if this happens to get through, then parents should ensure that the teachers coming in to schools are not there just to advertise for new students and are well qualified at genuine self defence methods - John Titchen's approach to this is far better than the majority, for example, and could form a good basis for self-defence classes in schools.

The biggest issue here is the false assumption that martial artists should teach children's self defence. For young kids, martial arts should be seen as a fun activity that will teach a variety of skills and hopefully keep them fit. It's likely to only become useful as they get bigger and stronger and with a lot of repetition and pressure testing to hone the skills. The de-escalation skills are likely to be more useful than that, but these skills take some time to learn too, and should only be taught by those who have made it their goal to study such methods in depth.

Link here: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMattFiddes/posts/678526135627873

This should be viewed alongside such gems as this (which includes turning your back on a knife-wielding assailant to do a back kick, then kicking said knife out of the attacker's hand, a "great" technique for self defence, as I'm sure we'd all agree):

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1p4H92CES4"]Matt Fiddes & Jules Moyce British Championships Demo 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

And this article (apologies for linking to the Daily Fail...):

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...eals-self-defence-tricks-youngsters-know.html

2. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I'm not opposed to the idea. I'm opposed to how monumentally it will get messed up. By all means teach martial arts in P.E and teach Self Defence in a class room, reading it out of a textbook. That's what self defence is at the end of the day. Not much to do with "practical" situations and more about situational awareness than anything else and how to deal escalate.

I doubt anything will make it that far though.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Doesn't teaching everyone "self defence" make it much less effective?
    If every kid knows what "moves" have been taught they'll know what the other kid is gonna try when they grab them.
    And also....so much bullying and and stress is caused by non-physical methods. Intimidation, threats, texts, facebook. You can't physically defend yourself against that sort of thing.

4. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If it's going to happen then it should perhaps the local police community officers delivering an awareness course.

If it's going to be martial arts then maybe Judo should be on the curriculum.

I'm going to restrict what I say about Matt Fiddes, as I'll go completely over the top, but let's just say he is completely the wrong person and doesn't have the necessary skill.

In regard to martial arts I'd give up before even thinking of joining his academy.

In regard to self defence. Don't make me laugh.

5. Travess

Travess The Welsh MAPper Supporter

6. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

His movement is very strange and does not look like somebody with any depth of training. It is a stagger. Very odd.

Does he have some kind of injury maybe?

7. Aegis

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah I thought that. Like he's not quite in control of his legs.

9. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Matt Fiddles...heh heh. That's about right.

10. Aegis

Well, it looks like the guys running that Facebook post are now taking down almost every negative comment about this petition. Who would have thought that simple criticism would be enough to worry such a "reputable" group, eh?

11. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

But in fairness that Star Wars kid has lost a lot of weight.

12. Alansmurf

Alansmurf Aspire to Inspire before you Expire Supporter

Did he really drop the jo during that demo ???

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yes...and then nearly dropped it again about 10 seconds later when it spears his plums.
    That demo is such poor quality.

14. PointyShinyBurn

PointyShinyBurn Valued Member

The answer to this question already exists and it's Judo or wrestling.

15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

What I detest is his kids training programme that he calls "Mighty-Matts".
    Like they are all aspiring to be small versions of him.
    Make me want to vomit.
    His logo is him. It's named after him. It's got "MF" all over it.
    It just smacks of someone trying too hard to bolster a fragile ego.

16. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think it's quite revealing that you can't find any details on his website of where or how many schools he has running. You have to contact them directly.
    Lots of talk and a shop selling his branded clothing but no actual info on times, locations or prices.
    I've a feeling it's all a front. The facade of success but no actual substance.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Monet laundering?

18. Purespite

Purespite Valued Member

In fairness to him though if I had a kids training programme I'd do the same thing.

Mighty Spites has a good ring to it, but then I do love a good rhyme.

19. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Matt Fides via a link to his FB page has been invited to join this thread.

Maybe we could discuss this video.

https://www.facebook.com/OfficialMattFiddes/posts/673901346090352

Seems very much like the Mantis Protector thread and the owners who thought a child could easily release themselves from a choke or grab.

http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125650&highlight=mantis&page=11

When we called them to task they requested we remove the thread.

We refused and were threatened with legal action.

We still refused and they never did come back to us with further action.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2016
  20. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Well, I guess Monet would be part of the Art in Martial Art.....

(sorry couldn't resist :p )