Kickboxing and weight training at gym

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by S-K-K, May 1, 2016.

1. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

Hello there! :)
    I'm a member of a kickboxing klub here in Oslo Norway.
    I'm a newbeginner however, I train on mondays and wednesdays from 20:00 to 21:30 and tuesdays and thursdays from 17:00 to 18:30. I train four times a week.
    Some people say it is better to train two times a week and some say it is better with four times a week as you will develop skills. What is correct answer for this?
    Some people say that if you add strength training with kickboxing you will end up in having a long term tendonitis. Should I just focus on kickboxing training and forget about the gym and strength training? Because whenever we have kickboxing training we do go thru bodyweight training as push ups sit ups etc.

Regards
    S-K-K

Last edited by a moderator: May 2, 2016
  2. flaming

flaming Valued Member

Try yoga and tai chi instead of the strength training. In my honest opinion.

3. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

Hei!

There is no correct answer, as no one can predict at what pace you will learn and no two lessons are the same, plus you have to factor in what you might train or study outside of class.

Whoever said that regarding strength treaining has no idea of what they're talking about regarding it. If you want to train weights, train weights, just be aware that strength training and martial arts training are very different activities and have their own considerations regarding safe and effective practice, dose-response relationship, recovery, etc. Additionally, people with background in only one of them usually know very little about the other, so unless an instructor in either martial arts or fitness happens to actively do both, they're unlikely to be proficient at instructing in the other (note that bodyweight training and weight training are the exact same thing in terms of what is done to the body and how the body responds, just that with weights the resistance is external and can be changed without modifying the exercise).

4. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

To be honest, about 3 weeks ago I hit gym. I was very active at gym before but, since I've started kickboxing I don't hit gym anymore. I was doing the bicep curl exercise straight after kickboxing training and then I got tendonitis in my left arm. You can get tendonitis if you add weight training with kickboxing. Some people say you can hit harder when you lift weights. But, kickboxers hit on the bags daily so your punches and kicks get hard anyways.

5. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

You likely got tendonitis because you were lifting your normal weights with exhausted muscles. However I often got tendonitis after hard training when I wasn't doing weights and I don't get it any more often now. A well planned strength and conditioning programme (which is different to a bodybuilding programme) with factored in rest and anticipation of your state with kickboxing will make you better at kickboxing, reduce your risk of injury (especially knees) and indeed make you hit harder. You just need to factor in recovery and flexibility work. If you can lift in the morning and train in the evening, that would be better than doing weights straight after kickboxing. Or you could do 3 nights kickboxing, 3 nights S+C with a rest day.

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  6. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

Well, I must attend kickboxing training which is from Monday to Thursday. So after Thursday is over I have to rest.

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

S-K-K, welcome to MAP.

Please stick to a standard font in black and not centred please.

It makes things easier to read.

Thank you.

Simon.

8. Ben Gash CLF

If you need 3 consecutive days off then you're doing more kickboxing than you are physically prepared for, so again maybe pare it back a bit and do some conditioning work instead.

9. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

Now days I'm feeling more tired from Kickboxing. I don't know what happened. Is it because I train kickboxing four days a week? Should I stick to two days a week? Plus I have a job

10. liero

liero Valued Member

How much do you eat every day?

How many hours sleep?

Do you drink alcohol, How much?

At 25, thats the more likely culprit. The factors that influence your recovery rather than the sessions.

11. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

Eating little, sleep is not good and, I don't drink alcohol

12. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Eat more and sleep more

And drink mead

13. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

What he said.

Plus you can cycle your sessions, so not every week is the same, say 2 weeks of x4 training, then 1 week of x3, and 1 of x2, and then one of complete rest.

14. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

I weight train on average 4 or 5x a week (granted its more bodybuildery stuff)

And I Muay Thai around 2 or 3 times a week (some would be MMA inclusive) works well for me. But I'm not looking to compete or anything.

Its literally for the lols.

Hannibal. As soon as Tescos and Sainsburys sells mead, I'm on it

15. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

One thing I have realized. That is, most martial art clubs train only two times a week. For example Monday - Wednesday. Maybe it is because we have a hardcore training and the body need a proper rest. The gym strength training is not as hard as a kickboxing training. Especially when trainers are there telling you to train hard. In those minutes you scream

16. webcrest

webcrest Valued Member

You are quite right S-K-K ,kick-boxing is really hard strength training part and after such a hard core training your muscles and body need a gap and definitely rest. During this gap try to relax your body with spa and some kind of massage as well along with drinking much water and fresh juices. Keep a check on your diet and sleep as well. Good luck with your training. Wish you strong big muscles;)

17. Ben Gash CLF

They do, just in central London you're not going to the massive ones you get in the provinces.

18. Ben Gash CLF

They train twice a week because that's a reasonable amount of time for a non professional teacher to devote to teaching. Go to any professional, competition oriented school and they’ll train 5-7 days a week.

19. S-K-K

S-K-K New Member

Twice or thrice a week makes your body fully relaxed and, makes you more motivated. Look if you overtrain let's say four times a week.
    And three days bed rest. This rest won't be very effective. If you train hardcore from monday to thursday (and trust me! my club is a very serious kickboxing club our training is very hard, it makes you scream.) I do want to be a high skilled competitor. But, if I continuesly train four times a week. Then my body will give up. I would feel tired and I will find excuses to skip training this would lead to not want. I don't want to see myself in that position.
    I remember when I use to lift weights I was so eager and I use to train 4-5 times a week. Then I got tired of overtraining and didn't wanted to continue the strength training. Plus I have a job I sleep around 12 in the night and have to set alarm at 06:00 am in the morning. So the three days bed rest won't help as you have to work. My trainer (teacher) in the club has three degree black belt in kickboxing. And the club is a very serious kickboxing club

Last edited: May 4, 2016
  20. Ben Gash CLF

I lift weights 3-5 times a week, I teach martial arts 3 nights a week, I work long hours. I don't feel over-trained. Your big issue is you need AT LEAST an extra hour of sleep a night if you're doing serious physical activity.
    What kind of kickboxing are we talking about?