Considering

Discussion in 'Aikido' started by Rocks, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Rocks

Rocks Valued Member

Hi all,
    Need a little guidance please

I am considering learning Aikido. reasons for this is-

1. Self-development. It seems more 'internal' than most other systems.

2. Investment- I box a little, and can handle myself, and I can take a beating by all accounts. But I won't be able to do that forever. Learning some aikido tricks might help keep me fit and safe well into old age.

3. Looks cool. Who wouldn't want to be able to dodge guys and learn joint locks and throws and 'fight without fighting'? :cool:

Would I get benefit from training once or twice a week? or is it better to stick with boxing alone?

2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

What about it seems more "internal?"

If it interests you, go check it out! Go have fun.

3. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Why would you want to be able to take a beating?

When I box I want to command distance, move in, out, use angles, slip, bob, weave, duck and so on.

Learn to box properly and stop taking a beating.

Do Aikido because you want to, not because your boxing skills are letting you down.

4. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

If you've got the time go for it :)
    Training once or twice a week is fine as long as the class is well structured , have you anywhere in mind ?

5. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

Hmm, would someone get benefit from training in boxing once or twice a week? :rolleyes:

But seriously,
    Aikido once a week -- no.
    Aikido twice a week -- yes, but mediocre.
    Aikido three or four times a week -- now you will learn it

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  6. Rocks

Rocks Valued Member

Right guys, I dunno if you are jesting or if I haven't made it obvious enough so I'll try to explain better.

I am not considering taking aikido to get better at boxing. I am more looking for the self-development part as in almost like meditation.

I stated that I 'can take a good beating', not because I lack boxing skills but because I am a robust individual. It's a quality/skill/luck. Always had it, every military report stated that fact. That being said,I think learning aikido is a self-investment because one day I will be eighty (hopefully) and being physically able to get a hiding and still fight back might be a tall order.

As for learning once or twice a week and not progressing, well that's too bad cause my local dojo only offers twice weekly training. Anyway I have the next forty years to practise. :D

Think I am going to go for it. Cheers.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  7. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Learning to deal with the adversity of fighting skilled opponents and being hit hard will do more for your self development.

And I've met plenty of old boxers who could still hold their own quite well. Good body mechanics means you can hit like a freight train even into old age. If your body degrades to a certain point it won't matter which art you've learned. Hype aside, physicality matters and age will eventually take that from you whether it's at 60, 70, or 80 years old. Train what you love, keep in shape, and it'll be far later than if you hadn't.

8. Rocks

Rocks Valued Member

Agreed, my old granddad was still a tough cookie well into his eighties. But being a former kickboxing champion, serving ten years in the army (with six years of them in an actual war) and walking fifteen miles a day minimum must have had something to do with it!

9. Big will aikido

Big will aikido New Member

Hi rocks,

Just go and have a go, I found Aikido great after playing rugby semi professional wanted do do something on my own, none aggressive very defensive its traditional, and the etiquette is very good, found it hard at first but once you have covered the basics and you can ukemi it gets easier then you try every night to master those techniques but you will never be happy just keep going.
    I found a great release from daily life, keeps you fit, flexible and best of all you meet people from all walks of life and gain friends for life.
    A lot of people slat it but I believe it is a great art to study not as popular as MMA but by the sounds of it you can look after yourself so if you want to learn purely defensive art give this a go if you are ever in Swansea come along you would be welcome